• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 3505 Views - Last Post: 06 November 2009 - 06:15 AM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

IT leaders trust Microsoft more than Google

Post icon  Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

In a recent survey TechRepublic.Com learned that leaders in the IT world trust Microsoft more than Google.

The skeptical attitude toward Google was best summed up by Donna Trivison, Director of IT for Ursuline College, who wrote, “There seems to be some conventional wisdom that Google is the answer to what’s been wrong over the years in the Microsoft universe. That kind of thinking may be dangerous. As consumers of technology we need to keep each and every business partner honest and working for us. Handing trust carte blanche over to Google because, as the wisdom goes, they are good citizens, seems misguided to me. If I had to pick one, it would probably be Microsoft because they have withstood the scrutiny their misdeeds have landed them. Google remains, for the most part, untested.”

So, who do you trust more?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IT leaders trust Microsoft more than Google

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IT leaders trust Microsoft more than Google

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

for me i am a bit of a sitter of both camps, i trust one more then the other in certain areas.... When the google OS comes out it will definitely help me to decide
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

Honestly, I don't have a lot of trust in either. It's between the bumbling idiot (MSFT) and the statistician (Google). In terms of software reliability, I'd vote Google b/c it doesn't make its money off of software. In addition, it allows for a ton of partnerships w/the open-source community. Microsoft, on the other hand, produces a lot of buggy software overall (look at Vista). As a rule of thumb (yes there are exceptions), open source software tends to be more reliable than closed source simply b/c more people are looking at it.

In terms of collecting data, I trust Microsoft more b/c it makes its money off of the software. Google, however, makes its money on advertising and selling consumer data, so of course it is going to try to collect as much information about me as possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I do trust Microsoft over Google, mainly because of the practices and work ethics they adapt when it comes to software and software development. They have a pretty solid foundation for developers and their support is great, in my opinion.

open source software tends to be more reliable than closed source simply b/c more people are looking at it.

Not necessarily. There are exceptions even in this situation (I would even tell you to take some of the open source OSs as an example).

I'd vote Google b/c it doesn't make its money off of software

They do have profits from their software. The only thing is, those profits come from other sources and the users who are adapting Google's software and services will contribute to this anyway, even if initially it is offered at no cost.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

View PostCore, on 26 Oct, 2009 - 05:19 PM, said:

I do trust Microsoft over Google, mainly because of the practices and work ethics they adapt when it comes to software and software development. They have a pretty solid foundation for developers and their support is great, in my opinion.

This. As a Microsoft Partner I've seen the businessy side of Microsoft and it's extremely powerful and insightful to myself and other business partners that I know.

View PostCore, on 26 Oct, 2009 - 05:19 PM, said:

I would even tell you to take some of the open source OSs as an example

Let the flame begin, but I'm with you 100% :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

I would be wary of anyone who wanted to move all my data from an internal server to their cloud or other storage mechanism. In this aspect, the article is comparing apples and oranges because Microsoft (in this article) does not want to host your data.

In this regard (and ultimately the whole point of the article's survey) it isn't even Microsoft vs. Google. It's hosted solutions versus your own solution and of course CIOs are going to side with themselves, its their job to provide security for their network(s)/information. Can't do that if some other company is hosting all of your stuff.

This post has been edited by KYA: 26 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

at the company i work for they think anything that is outside there little firewalls(ok they have allot of security) is not secure and data loss can happen as well breeches since they dont have hand onto the data or the servers. well i suppose for big companies running everything locally, i dont think this argument is about windows versus google, i think its local against hosted solutions argument.

i prefer google but then again i am just a student that just started studding.

i agree completely KYA he hit the nail on the head
as he said its comparing apples and pears do not work, they each have there uses, and where one fails the other makes up and same the other way around.
though you could compare it but there will be alot of pros and cons for each side.

in my opinion google type solutions are more for the little companies where as windows is for the bigger companies that need more privacy why else would you run your own servers and want to have admin rights over everything, with google you would only have X amount of control.

addition... +++ edit
open source vs closed source its a big battle...
open source you may have alot of eyes going over the code, but that means its also more easy to find back doors and loop holes, its true and you cant deny it, thats why open source normaly comes out with updates and patches etc
closed source its harder to find backdoors and loopholes but it is possible.

This post has been edited by ludjer: 26 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

something to tingle all the google = cloud
http://www.google.co...earch/mini.html
local google indexer and search engine pretty nifty
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

i think MSFT is the devil we know and google ... well, you know the rest!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• awake ? web();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

If it were a Chrome vs IE contest I wouldn't hesitate to declare for Google, but in the bigger picture I struggle to trust them. They've even got into monitoring power usage in the home!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

Open vs closed source -> open

google vs bing -> have not done much testing with bing but i say google as it does not act like any frigging trojan which tries to keep himself as the default search engine on firefox and bing does this.

IE vs chrome -> both suck -> Opera

windows vs chrome os -> windows does work sometimes and has the majority of users, chrome os untested.

Even after chrome os comes out MS power in the business wont drop anywhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:37 PM

we are talking about working environment and stuff not personal use. for big companies windows still has the upper hand. ye i love google and everything but ye for big companies not having hands on contact and full admin privileges just dont work and thats why it will not work that well for the specific needs of large corporations
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

My entire development machine and support is Microsoft from SQL Server to using Visual Studios making MVC Applications or Silverlight applications using Expression Studios. I trust Microsoft, for they have been in the field longer, their work ethic is more strict than google's, and even though they do cost more there support is well worth it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:35 PM

Personally, I'm starting to like Microsoft more and more again. I used to say that I only used Windows because it was the only thing I knew. I've tested Linux and Mac now and I still prefer Windows, especially now with Windows 7. I used to have a lot of love for Google, because they are started to push the world toward innovation, but now Microsoft has started to see that and I believe they are working toward innovation once again. Look at the ribbon interface for Office 2007 and the Windows 7. Check out the stuff for Office 2010. Microsoft is starting to get off their butt and do something good again and is being unique (mostly) and innovative about it. I even believe that they are becoming more innovative than Google, though it is hard to compare because they are working on mostly different products. My biggest hope is that the developers for IE9 will take this innovation "policy" to heart and finally make a legitimate web browser in the future. Currently IE is the one big flaw that Microsoft is sitting on in my eyes.

I know that this was supposed to be related to MS and Google in the business world but I really just felt like getting my two cents (or more) out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

Trust Microsoft??? Anyone remember Plays for Sure? How about the 1980s and 90s and what they did to manufacturers (charging per computer sold instead of per computer with Windows), not to mention what they did to Netscape? Then there's what they're doing to consumers, with multiple "versions" of the same OS, artificially segmenting the market to fleece people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +