• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 19611 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: BA in Computer Science vs BS in Computer Science

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostNecroWinter, on 31 May 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Professors dont teach you anything, they just guide you along. Most students learn more in their homework an projects than through a lecture, but absolutely everything about the college experience can be done without college. The problem is the employer

Initially I disagreed with you. So much of the college experience in CS is competing with friends and classmates. Learning from each other, sharing what you know and learning from them. Yet with the internet, you can now do that. maybe not as well. But it can be done.

Also, college forced me to learn subjects I normally wouldn't have. Database design, AI, etc. It's more than just a piece of paper.

This post has been edited by time4f5: 31 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Initially I disagreed with you. So much of the college experience in CS is competing with friends and classmates. Learning from each other, sharing what you know and learning from them. Yet with the internet, you can now do that. maybe not as well. But it can be done.

I dont really see academics as competition. Either you understand something or you dont. I also find that despite the fact some students get high grades on projects and tests, they dont really understand the topics. Many students simply learn how to be students, and this helps them guide themselves around professors, especially on tests, when they simply memorize phrasing used by professors in lectures to get the most amount of points, as opposed to actually understanding something and being able to use it on their own effectively.

When your project just flat out doesnt work, it doesnt really matter how much person X likes you, or how much you mimic the people that act like they are in positions of authority. It doesnt work.

Also, college forced me to learn subjects I normally wouldn't have. Database design, AI, etc. It's more than just a piece of paper.

I got at this implicitly in my post. Like I said, professors just guide you along. You are the one that did all the work. Your professor didnt teach you anything, you taught yourself those things by doing them, and knowing that you should learn them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Learning is the responsibility of the student. No doubt about it. Much off the teaching is from the book(s). Yet I have never had a prof read from the book in class. They present the material in different ways. Also my previous post had more to do with the college atmosphere. I'm not totally disagreeing with you. But I would argue that college is more than a piece of paper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

OkinawanMatt: I completely disagree with your comment. In order to be successful in Computer Science you need a strong background in Math and Physics.

If you can learn Multivariate Calculus and Linear Algebra by yourself, more power to you. Also, learning how to develop algorithms for certain instances is important.

Plus... I have to deal with people who think different programming languages have the same naming conventions as all the others, which makes it annoying to even look at their code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

Here is my input:

I went to a school for a BA in CS. I did drugs, drank heavily, and gamed 8+ hours a day. I got A's and learned jack, so i left. I went to University of Pittsburgh then for their BS in CS degree. I didnt drink much, no drugs, no time for games, and i worked my ass off. I learned a lot which allowed me and my friends to work at some of the more prestegious companies for computer science. Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, Bentley were just to name a few where my rl friends work. I never wouldve been able to land the jobs that i have/had (IBM and Bentley) without a Bachelors of Science. I also am working on getting a masters which is harder but it would not have been an option with a BA degree.

BA is art
BS is science. BS is a lot of math, which is a foundation of Computer Science.

That is my opinion. I hope it helps a little. I can tell you a lot more, but ehhhhh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

Fallen Reaper, do you know if your BA program was ABET accredited?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

a BA is only art if the field is art, and if the school you go to actually makes a real distinction between ba and bs.

many schools dont let you skip the math classes if you get a BA. My school makes you take all the same math.

so, in the end, the distinction between a BA and a BS is meaningless without further investigation.
I still dont understand how someone who has a degree in CIS can be a programmer, but someone with a ba in cs has a hard time doing so from what im told.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Not sure why so many reposts!? system flaw.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Posttime4f5, on 01 June 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Fallen Reaper, do you know if your BA program was ABET accredited?

They said they were, I found out they werent.
It was a Game Design program which offered a BA in CS.

School called: Collins College of Art and Design.
what a crock of **** that place was.

They advertised only 10% graduation because it was hard, it was actually because the program and school is soooo terrible that most people go elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

View Postjames_blocker, on 11 June 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

I donít think it really matters whether you've a BS or a BA, as long as the degree reads computer science! BS degrees are more popular because most colleges offer a BS in computer science as opposed to a BA. But if the course content is not much different, it really shouldnít matter much. You just need to make sure the college is accredited by a reputed organization thatís recognized by the US Dept of Education. I had looked at some computer science programs CollegeAmerica offers, and even checked out their credentials. CollegeAmerica accreditation tells me that the college is accredited by the ACCSC, which is a well-established body. I'm sure as long as your college is accredited, your degree will certainly hold value in the job market.

You are correct in stating that accreditation is the key factor, but for a Computer Science degree, you should be looking for an accreditation from ABET for your program. General accreditation for a college does not carry over into your program accreditation. In other words, just because your University or individual college is accredited does not mean that your program/degree is accredited.

If a University or a college itself has accreditation, but the degree program is not accredited, then the degree is "worthless". You can view it in this terminology: "Yes, [XX] University is recognized as an institution of education that exists somewhere in North America. They have been accredited with their existence. However, since ABET does not agree with the manner in which this University teaches the 'Bachelor of Science in Computer Science' degree program, even if [XX] University offers the degree, no other University or place of employment will validate the degree. As far as everyone outside of the University is concerned, [XX] University may have allowed students to take a few classes about basket weaving and bowling and then given them a degree in Computer Science for it. Since ABET did not verify the courses, curriculum, facility and teachers, no one outside of the University knows if it is a legitimate degree program, even if the University itself is accredited."

Accreditation for a University/college is not the same thing as accreditation for a degree program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

In my opinion, a BS in computer science is the way to go. I think a BS would cover more aspects of computer science and if youíre looking for programming and networking related jobs, a BS would be ideal. Iím looking to pursue a degree in computer science myself and have just begun reviewing colleges (just reading CollegeAmerica reviews). I think doing your research well about a college and its programs and services go a long way in helping you make the decision of where you go to college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +