4 Replies - 1116 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2009 - 03:49 AM

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

How many times do you have to redo code due to functional requirements

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

I was just wondering! I spent an entire 2 days working on a database making all the primary keys, foreign keys for the relations to various tables and there are probably 32 tables. This is going to be database 1 out of 3 possible databases needed for this particular website. I just got a call from the owner of the company saying that the functional requirements has changed significantly enough that I will have to redo the entire database.

So, I was just wondering how many of you good developers have to redo databases, or code due to functional requirement changes from the clients who wants the product?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How many times do you have to redo code due to functional requirements

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How many times do you have to redo code due to functional requirements

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:28 AM

Yep, it happens a lot. Just make sure this is all included in the project plan so that in 6 months when it's overdue and the same person is on your back demanding answers, you can point to the plan and say "well, you got the first design of the database completely wrong".

Anyway, why is the company owner dictating the database design? That's not his business; he should be outlining the functional requirements of the program and playing golf, not getting his hands dirty with programming details.

With some experience you'll be able to anticipate functional changes and design the code so that it isn't irrevocably bound to one particular design, then making changes is somewhat less of a headache.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

This is one of the reasons modeling is so important. Before you even start to code, all stakeholders can look at the system and give their :^: or :v:

Make sure your clients know the cost involved in making such changes. Once you start talking dollars they usually start to listen.

Just be glad they're making their changes at a relatively early stage in the development process. With out proper change management in place making changes once it hits production can be a really big hassle.

Good Luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

HeHeHe

Doing this ever since...... (bear in mind New Technology)

I found that once people see that the program does something, the wishlist just becomes bigger....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:49 AM

View Postcoden4fun, on 28 Oct, 2009 - 09:42 AM, said:

I was just wondering! I spent an entire 2 days working on a database making all the primary keys, foreign keys for the relations to various tables and there are probably 32 tables. This is going to be database 1 out of 3 possible databases needed for this particular website. I just got a call from the owner of the company saying that the functional requirements has changed significantly enough that I will have to redo the entire database.

So, I was just wondering how many of you good developers have to redo databases, or code due to functional requirement changes from the clients who wants the product?

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

• -

Page 1 of 1