Site shows well on IE 8 but not on firefox and chrome

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 920 Views - Last Post: 04 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Website Compatibility Issues

Post icon  Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hello everyone.

This is the site i uploaded www.jrs.com.pk . site show well on ie 8. all fine on ie 8.
but when it comes to firefox and chrome it dont shows text and also not looking good in these 2 browsers.

is there any compatibility code that i have to put in my .aspx pages.

please advise .. thanx
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Website Compatibility Issues

• awake ? web();
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Website Compatibility Issues

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:50 AM

You can't see your text because it's color is set to black, which is the default in all browsers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

but in ie 8 it shows well ..and i changed my text color to blue..its not black...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

There are plenty of differences in how IE renders a page as opposed to FF, Safari, Chrome ect. Its just part of the game.

Just a heads up, using black as a background can hurt you if you want your site to be indexed by the search engines. Reason being is that people used to load a section of the page with a bunch of keywords and then change the background to black so that you couldn't see them. Search Engines quickly caught on to this trick and stopped indexing pages with the background set to black (or text set to white). I would highly recommend using a different color for your background.

You might also consider using a style sheet, defining some classes and getting rid of all the inline style. The inline style definitions makes the code really hard to read. Check out the "The id and class Selectors" section on this page at W3Schools.

Sometimes in css nested tags don't get treated like the tag its nested in. For instance if you define a style for the td tag, but you are using nested tables then in your style sheet you should put something like...

td, td, td, td {
	 // style definition...
}

... so the nested tags get treated equally.

Good Luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

View Postecuscotty, on 2 Nov, 2009 - 06:19 PM, said:

Search Engines quickly caught on to this trick and stopped indexing pages with the background set to black (or text set to white). I would highly recommend using a different color for your background.

Nonono they manually blacklist sites that do this, not just stop every site with a black BG lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

thanx.. by the way the first reply was usefull.. text was black..now its alright..whenever i come to dreamincode i learn something..:):)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

Nonono they manually blacklist sites that do this, not just stop every site with a black BG lol.

LOL, Nononono, they use algorithms for this. They would need one heck of a big team if they were manually deciding which sites to index and which to blacklist. :D

I didn't say they blacklisted all sites with a black background, the trick was to use a black background and black text. The dark blue text is on the black background might not hurt our friend here, but its cutting it pretty close.

Anyway afridi2129, glad you got it working like you wanted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

View Postecuscotty, on 3 Nov, 2009 - 07:39 PM, said:

LOL, Nononono, they use algorithms for this. They would need one heck of a big team if they were manually deciding which sites to index and which to blacklist. :D

Indeed... Why do you think some sites like this arn't blacklisted?? (And several other techniques that they blacklist for)

If it was an algorithm, virtually nothing would be checked since they'd just do it with external CSS (which Google does not download at all).

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 03 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

I'm not sure I'm following what you were trying to say in that last post.

Are you really trying to say that search engines do not use algorithms to determine which sites to index or not? Might wanna Google how search engines work and come back to us on that one. I promise just about everything you read of any substantial substance regarding the topic will mention indexing algorithms used by their spiders.

I'm sorry, not really a joking matter, but from what your describing I picture a big room at Google full of umpa lumpas singing songs and blacklisting sites :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

View Postecuscotty, on 3 Nov, 2009 - 01:30 PM, said:

....I picture a big room at Google full of umpa lumpas singing songs and blacklisting sites

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1