Career Oriented Question?

Currently learning Java, wondering what you think is a good next langu

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1566 Views - Last Post: 09 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Career Oriented Question?

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

I am currently attending college to get my degree in Computer Science, I am in a community college right now taking Java classes. I plan on making the switch to a 4 year university soon and havent decided which school to go to because of the languages used at the schools I am thinking of transferring to.

The one school, is focused on .NET and C# as the primary language and the other is Java or C++ based.

I am also learning python independantly.

The reason I ask, is in regards to careers. I myself do not use Windows and run Linux. I am considering learning .NET and C# though due to the obvious popularity of Windows.

Can anyone tell me what you think would open up more job opportunitys for me after school, C++ or C#?

I am really confused about the whole .NET thing and the array of languages used in it. ASP.NET being one thing that confuses me.

If anyone could help me make a decision that would be great. I orginally didnt even consider c# until I learned of Mono and figure I can learn it on Linux and then if a career move opens itself up I'll already have the knowledge.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Career Oriented Question?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Career Oriented Question?

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Hey LinuxDruid,

If I was in your situation, I would go to the school that focuses its curriculum around C++ and Java. These are the most widely used languages you will find in the real world and a university that bases its curriculum around .NET is just sketchy in the first place.

But besides my prejudices, even if you were to have to learn C#, you'll already know C++ where much of the syntax is similar so your learning experience will be a little less challenging.

Edit: Just curious, what is the school that is based around .NET/C#?

This post has been edited by cmwise: 02 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

I wouldn't be too afraid of C#, its just C++, just ported into a Microsoft environment so that it can easily handle interacting with windows based objects. My first language was C++, and I transitioned into C# very easily, there is a much higher availability in my area for .NET jobs these days verses C++.

If a curriculum is focused around C#, or .NET, it just means its a Microsoft equivalent. I know many Universities that have gone this route because the wide availability of choice between language structure, and implementation on many different layers, within the same environment. Specifically, web programming in ASP.NET, form based programming within VB/C#, and more dynamic language theory within F#.

All together, if you find a college you like, and they use .NET, don't fret, there is a lot of similarities between C++/C#, and most transition nicely from one to the other... Being open to having MORE technologies you have delt with is a deal winner often in the job market these days, not "Well its .NET so I won't do it" mentality.

My studies have been primarily .NET, but I have also done quite a bit of Java, so it really depends on the University.

This post has been edited by W3bDev: 04 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

Thanks alot for the help guys, now I am confused as to whether C# and Vsual C# are the same language.

I use Linux so I plan on learning C# with Mono and was wondering what the difference betwen C# and Visual C# is.

I also heard learning Visual Basic will teach new programmers bad habits and should be avoided.

What do you guys feel of this.

By the way the college, is Central Michigan University, they focus on VB for intro classes and then move to C# and .net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1