2 Replies - 804 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2009 - 01:47 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I job hopping now?

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hi to all,

I'm currently facing a dilemma in my career. Hopfully you guys could give me some wise suggestion or insight

I'm currently working as a programmer and IT support in muti-national Company ,IT department.

I working on a project and occasionally need to assist my senior to do IT support. After working there for 2 years, I can't find or can't feel myself any dramaiclly increase in my experince on programming. It's like if i was to work alone, I still would not able to fend for myself at all. Still feeling newbie on programming. And in IT support which is not my core job, it's like doing basic helpdesk support, mostly doing the repeated case. Currently, I don't find my manager is trying to groom me any where. For your information, he just promote one year plus as a manager, so i think there is any available position for another manager.

I got a feeling, that beside the project I'm working on, the next reason that I'm needed is in that department is because I am the most jr and the only guy in the department, the rest is ladies. Whenever there are any heavy equipment that need to ship or carry off to another department, I will have to do it. These happen so often that it naturally become my job too.

Is there any prospect in my career with this company?

If not, Should I hop to another company, hopfully an IT company?
But the next problem is I'm current persuing a programming degree, will it give me problem?

Please guide me with your suggestion?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I job hopping now?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Should I job hopping now?

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

View PostAndyLeo, on 2 Nov, 2009 - 05:33 PM, said:

Hi to all,

I'm currently facing a dilemma in my career. Hopfully you guys could give me some wise suggestion or insight

I'm currently working as a programmer and IT support in muti-national Company ,IT department.

I working on a project and occasionally need to assist my senior to do IT support. After working there for 2 years, I can't find or can't feel myself any dramaiclly increase in my experince on programming. It's like if i was to work alone, I still would not able to fend for myself at all. Still feeling newbie on programming. And in IT support which is not my core job, it's like doing basic helpdesk support, mostly doing the repeated case. Currently, I don't find my manager is trying to groom me any where. For your information, he just promote one year plus as a manager, so i think there is any available position for another manager.

I got a feeling, that beside the project I'm working on, the next reason that I'm needed is in that department is because I am the most jr and the only guy in the department, the rest is ladies. Whenever there are any heavy equipment that need to ship or carry off to another department, I will have to do it. These happen so often that it naturally become my job too.

Is there any prospect in my career with this company?

If not, Should I hop to another company, hopfully an IT company?
But the next problem is I'm current persuing a programming degree, will it give me problem?

Please guide me with your suggestion?

I'm in almost the exact same boat. I have a decent job, but not a lot of room for growth and I'm only picking up random skills and not becoming an expert at anything. Also, I'm in school for programming. I would say that if there is no chance of you getting laid off, start sending out your resume for a few jobs you'd really want. Otherwise, stick with it a little longer until you feel more secure in the programming, and then send them out. I'm the same way though, looking forward to programming, but all of my skills now are network admin skills. If I get into IIT for graduate school/software engineering, I'll be quitting this job in Aug to do that full time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Should I job hopping now?

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:47 AM

Hi
thanks for your reply, and at least, I know i'm not alone

Thanks for sharing info, hope you may share or exchange info to help/ to understand each other

Andy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1