6 Replies - 564 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2009 - 07:53 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

windows programming book

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

I am looking for a book that teaches windows programming. What I am looking to learn is how to search a harddrive or usb drive. Search a File. Connect to a website to search for information, get notified when a website is updated. Anyone have a book that would get me started in this direction? I have programming experience with functions, classes, dynamic memory, linked lists, overloading operators, loops. I just want to learn something practical and interesting. Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: windows programming book

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: windows programming book

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

What I am looking to learn is how to search a harddrive or usb drive. Search a File. Connect to a website to search for information, get notified when a website is updated. Anyone have a book that would get me started in this direction?
You say Windows programming, but none of what you ask requires dependence on the Windows API (as you can do all those tasks on a non Windows computer).

Either your desire (Windows programming) or examples do not match each other.

Can you clarify if you are specifically referring to the Windows API? I would recommend Petzold's book (search for Petzold).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

you can find most the stuff you need here
http://msdn.microsof...ry/default.aspx

there are several books on the windows api also
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

never recommend msdn except in a last resort, it's no tutorial just (helpful?) links to functions, macro's etc... No your better off with a website built with tutorials, much like this one (no suck-up intended)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

View PostGenHornet18, on 5 Nov, 2009 - 04:35 PM, said:

never recommend msdn except in a last resort, it's no tutorial just (helpful?) links to functions, macro's etc... No your better off with a website built with tutorials, much like this one (no suck-up intended)

I personally disagree with this but everyone has their own opinion. If I can't find the help I'm looking for with all the articles and references on MSDN I look for a tutorial after the fact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

I am just looking for a book that teaches you some practical programming. Maybe its called system programming or network programming? I am looking for a book for a beginner and not a tutorial online because I cant read long tutorial on a computer screen. thanks.

This post has been edited by paprogramming: 05 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Essentially, there's no book that will take a beginner to the level of competence of a non-trivial applications programmer. The most critical aspect of programming, regardless of what you are programming, is the necessary problem solving ability, and that cannot be read to competence. Instead, it's acquired through repeated practice.

If you are looking to learn to write serious applications, you'll have to repeatedly keep writing countless programs of increasing difficulty. As you do so, you can start to write programs out of your area of knowledge (how would you tackle writing a program that downloads a webpage? the key isn't knowing about webpages, connecting to a webpage, etc. The key is knowing how to tackle this sort of problem).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1