3 Replies - 1103 Views - Last Post: 06 November 2009 - 08:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Python Book

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

I have experience with c++ with data types, advanced data types, linked lists, funtions, classes, etc. but nothing fun. I am looking for a python book that shows all the fundamentals like data types and funtions etc. but also fun programming stuff. Like system programming, setting up website searches, gui stuff. Does anyone know of a book that would cover all this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Python Book

• ???
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Python Book

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

You can have a book named "Think Python" by Allen Downey. Have fun with python!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

Most Python programmers start out with Dive Into Python, and there's an updated Dive Into Python 3 for familiarizing yourself with the Python 3 syntax. These are open source, community-supported books that provide a wealth of information about Python.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:46 AM

View Postpaprogramming, on 5 Nov, 2009 - 05:09 PM, said:

I have experience with c++ with data types, advanced data types, linked lists, funtions, classes, etc. but nothing fun. I am looking for a python book that shows all the fundamentals like data types and funtions etc. but also fun programming stuff. Like system programming, setting up website searches, gui stuff. Does anyone know of a book that would cover all this?

A ton of free on-line documents exist for learning and coding in Python. A good place to start is on the python.org website or google python. Certainly the books already mentioned will also be helpful.

Since you like systems programming, you might like the following books:

Python for Unix and Linux System Administration by Noah Gift
Foundations of Python Network Programming by John Goerzen

One of my current favorites for learning and using Python is

Practical Python by Magnus Lie Hetland.

It is written with some humor and has a wide variety of coding projects in the second half of the book, including writing markup, XML, games, and GUI's.

All of these books are available through third-party sellers on Amazon at used prices.

Have fun!

~jiangshi

This post has been edited by ~jiangshi: 06 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1