8 Replies - 3399 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2009 - 11:09 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Project Ideas

Post icon  Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

Does anyone have any project ideas? I'm just a beginner, so take that into consideration. I don't care if it has to real use in the real world, just something to do.

[SPECS]
- Not malicious
- Please no networking involve : P

Thanks! :)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Project Ideas

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Project Ideas

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:27 AM

take a look at ongoing projects in this forum, u may have some ideas
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:41 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat. I need to create some code snippits for a program as part of a resume I will be submitting to a programming company.

I just don't know what to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:34 AM

Hi,

Write a Simple Weekly Time Keeping system.

Specs:

Must be able to Hold Employee Information like Employee Number, Social Security Number, ID Number, Employe Name (First and Last), Gender and Address information and Normal Working Hours for each day of the Week.

The system must store all the information in a Access Database (if not Access then any other. No Flat Files).

Users must be able to input the Weekly Normal hours, Overtime 1, Overtime 2, and Overtime 3 hours, for each day of the week. The system must calculate the total hours worked for the week and day and this must be split into Normal, Overtime 1, Overtime 2, Overtime 3.

The system must check how many working hours an employee has for a specific day and check if the employee has met those hours.

Print the Weekly Timesheet for Each Employee.

Print a Week Summary Report for all the employees in respect of their Normal, Overtime 1, Overtime 2 and Overtime 3 hours and hours short worked.

Lock the timesheets (the user should not be able to update the weekly timesheets once they are processed)

Optional Extras:

Add Rates of Pay for Normal Hours, Overtime 1, Overtime 2 and Overtime 3 and calculate them in the Timesheet.
(Work out Coinage for all Employees (remeber you have to do this per employee and total the notes and coins)).

Print a Month Summary Report.

Put the Employees into different Groups and write the Reports for all groups or one group only.

Add User Levels and give them permissions to a. The entry screeen for the Weekly Timesheets b. The Reports c. Employee Setup

Add Public Holidays to your Project and any work out a special rate for public holidays

Make the Public Holidays Repeat each year and if they fall on a Sunday they should move to the Monday thereafter.

------

I am sure if you get this right, you will be able to use that as a reference project and you should get a good credit for it, and it should keep you busy for a while......

;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:56 AM

Busy for awhile my behind, that will take quite awhile for me, I'm also full time college student with a wife, 3 kids, and all that good stuff.

This post has been edited by Donnie1581: 09 November 2009 - 05:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:08 AM

Hey,

Thats quite a small sized project. I added the optionals which will take a bit longer..

But Since you have Wife, Kids and not a lot of time, make a photo album. (don't know if you will get lots of credits at other programming companies though)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

View Postmotcom, on 9 Nov, 2009 - 04:34 AM, said:

Hi,

Write a Simple Weekly Time Keeping system.

Specs:

Must be able to Hold Employee Information like Employee Number, Social Security Number, ID Number, Employe Name (First and Last), Gender and Address information and Normal Working Hours for each day of the Week.

The system must store all the information in a Access Database (if not Access then any other. No Flat Files).

Users must be able to input the Weekly Normal hours, Overtime 1, Overtime 2, and Overtime 3 hours, for each day of the week. The system must calculate the total hours worked for the week and day and this must be split into Normal, Overtime 1, Overtime 2, Overtime 3.

Add Rates of Pay for Normal Hours, Overtime 1, Overtime 2 and Overtime 3 and calculate them in the Timesheet.
(Work out Coinage for all Employees (remember you have to do this per employee and total the notes and coins)).

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the overtime. At the end of each day, the employee would enter their hours; If they hit > 8 hours then it starts overtime 1 1/2 rate; Saturdays would be overtime 2 rate and Sunday's overtime 3 rate.

Is this what you mean?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Martyr2's Mega Project Ideas List. That's a good list of stuff you can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

Hey Donnie1581,

With the overtime, some countries have different rules in respect of overtime....

It could be that should the employee work say 14 hours (hopefully the poor guy doesn't)

Scenario 1
8 Hours would go to normal time, 4 hours to Overtime 1 and 2hours to Overtime 2

Scenario 2
8 Hours go to normal time, 6 hours to Overtime 1.

Also on weekends its different.

But hey choose a method that you know best (what your labour law states in your country).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1