URL not found by search engine when searching for URL specifically

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 2403 Views - Last Post: 18 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

URL not found by search engine after registration

Post icon  Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:31 AM

Beginner Help

Hi there, it has been year since I did any web development and I decided to help someone out and throw together a simple site.

The development went well enough, the site can be pulled up without issue but I cannot find the site on any search engine. I can't even pull up the site on google even if I search for the exact URL. I did manually register the website with google (1 month ago), but I still can't pull up anything. I checked the whois and did not see anything that jumped out at me as a problem.

I was hoping that someone more experienced could help me identify what the problem is and how to resolve it.

The URL is www.morrowappraisals.com and the source is not hidden or anything. The JS is in a seperate file and I can provide it if needed but I figured it would not have anything to do with this issue.

One thing to note is that the site is basically one page due to its limited content with several seperate hidden panes of content. I wouldn't think this would cause a problem.

I am not so interested in rankings so much as just being able to pull it up in a search engine based on a company name / city search.

Thanks In advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: URL not found by search engine after registration

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: URL not found by search engine after registration

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

View Postdizzymonkey, on 9 Nov, 2009 - 08:31 AM, said:

I did manually register the website with google (1 month ago), but I still can't pull up anything. I checked the whois and did not see anything that jumped out at me as a problem.

Oops. Usually if you manually submit a site to google it sort of acts as a flag to them (I think it might have to do with spam sites often getting manually submitted) and they throw your site on the pile of wait-and-sees. Not sure if thats exactly what they do but it seems to take MUCH longer for them to index the site once you manually submit it. Also certain subjects, get automatically backfooted eg: medical until proven that they are not spam.

What you want to do is get yourself a backlink on another site (or many) - hopefully a site that is crawled often by a google bot - pointing to your new website.

It's better for google to naturally find your website on its own. That's my opinion anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I am also curious if there is anything I am doing in my code that would prevent google (or others) from accepting my site. Can someone more experienced in these matters than myself take a quick peek and see if there is anything that seems wrong to them?

I am curious about this since other search engines don't seem to pick it up either. I have read before that some things in the source can cause problems but it is not clear to me whether that would just affect rankings or just have an engine completely ignore the site. If the source looks ok, then I guess I would just have to wait and see I suppose.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

View Postdizzymonkey, on 9 Nov, 2009 - 01:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. I am also curious if there is anything I am doing in my code that would prevent google (or others) from accepting my site. Can someone more experienced in these matters than myself take a quick peek and see if there is anything that seems wrong to them?

I am curious about this since other search engines don't seem to pick it up either. I have read before that some things in the source can cause problems but it is not clear to me whether that would just affect rankings or just have an engine completely ignore the site. If the source looks ok, then I guess I would just have to wait and see I suppose.

Thanks

Something interesting to note is that when I do I search I can find this post but not the actual website.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

If your site is barely one month hold, I am not surprised it is not showing up in a Google search. It can take a long time for a new site to start showing up in search results. And even if you wait a year, without doing anything else, it still might not show up; Google only lists sites it considers important. If you do an MSN or Yahoo! search, you'll probably see that they list several sites that are not listed by Google.

To get your site listed, and hopefully get it near the top of search listings, you'll have to do a lot of SEO work: submit to directories, social bookmarking, link requests, participation in forums, write articles, write a blog, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

View PostDavidB, on 11 Nov, 2009 - 08:44 PM, said:

If your site is barely one month hold, I am not surprised it is not showing up in a Google search. It can take a long time for a new site to start showing up in search results. And even if you wait a year, without doing anything else, it still might not show up; Google only lists sites it considers important. If you do an MSN or Yahoo! search, you'll probably see that they list several sites that are not listed by Google.

To get your site listed, and hopefully get it near the top of search listings, you'll have to do a lot of SEO work: submit to directories, social bookmarking, link requests, participation in forums, write articles, write a blog, etc.

Well, I am not so much concerned about ranking, but just getting the site to pull up if I search for it directly with site:<url>. From the webmaster tools on google, It shows that the site is not even indexed and I cannot understand why. Based on how other search engines fail to recognize the url, I suspect there was was something wrong in the source but for the life of me I can't spot it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

I've heard that if you create a sitemap (www.xml-sitemaps.com) and submit that to google via webmaster tools (I think) they will index your page pretty quickly.

I have never actually done that myself though so can't talk from experience, but worth a try I reckon.

I checked your site - it looks fine, though I wouldn't know about hidden panes or anything, I don't think it'll be a problem.

If you go the sitemap route, post back here about whether you have success or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1