2 Replies - 803 Views - Last Post: 12 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Career Path/Ideas and Options

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

Ok, Im 20 years old and going for my Bachelors of Science in Software Engineering. Now Ive always wanted to work with either Cyber Defense or Weapons System Defense. Im hoping we might have someone here who has worked in the defense or government sector and can give me some tips. Right now I work for NCR on the SelfCheckout Helpdesk. I mostly do hardware but I make alot of software and scripts for both NCR and WalMart machines. I dont want to do hardware anymore really. I want to go all software and programming.

So I guess what Im asking if what kind of certifications, Im working on my Security+ and a Linux Cert right now. When I get my bachelors I intend on starting on my CISSP. I really want to do the Cyber Defense etc. Id like to work for NSA, CIA, DHS, or even FBI. Im just looking for a way to get my foot in the door. If anyone has any advice whether youre in the this sector or not, any career advice from anyone who has real world experience Id love to hear from you. I think if I remember right Skyhawk worked for the DoD, so I dont know if he would know much on it, but if youre reading this and you do let me know. :^: Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Career Path/Ideas and Options

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Career Path/Ideas and Options

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

View PostSethro117, on 9 Nov, 2009 - 03:58 PM, said:

Ok, Im 20 years old and going for my Bachelors of Science in Software Engineering. Now Ive always wanted to work with either Cyber Defense or Weapons System Defense. Im hoping we might have someone here who has worked in the defense or government sector and can give me some tips. Right now I work for NCR on the SelfCheckout Helpdesk. I mostly do hardware but I make alot of software and scripts for both NCR and WalMart machines. I dont want to do hardware anymore really. I want to go all software and programming.

So I guess what Im asking if what kind of certifications, Im working on my Security+ and a Linux Cert right now. When I get my bachelors I intend on starting on my CISSP. I really want to do the Cyber Defense etc. Id like to work for NSA, CIA, DHS, or even FBI. Im just looking for a way to get my foot in the door. If anyone has any advice whether youre in the this sector or not, any career advice from anyone who has real world experience Id love to hear from you. I think if I remember right Skyhawk worked for the DoD, so I dont know if he would know much on it, but if youre reading this and you do let me know. :^: Thanks

When I went to DeVry, the FBI/CIA were trying to recruit like crazy. I don't think you'll have too much of a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Career Path/Ideas and Options

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

Did you go Online at Devry or do they have a physical campus you went to? WGU is Online so I dont know if the same recruitment opputunities are provided to Online studetns as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1