Books I stumbled on at a used book store

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1479 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Sweet classic computer books

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

I went to the mall this afternoon to get my phone fixed, but unfortunately it was much more expensive than I first anticipated, so I just decided to buy two games and then wander around the area until I got to this other mall which I go to watch movies and read books (the cinema is a privately owned cinema, quite small, but shows the latest flicks), and so I decided to wander into the used book store which I had bought some books in the past.

What I found next astounded me. There was actually old computer books which would have cost more online sold at dirt-cheap prices.

One of them include The Second Edition of C, the one written by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, a complete book on repairing old consoles and arcade machines, another is David H Ahl's BASIC Computer Games..I almost fainted when I found this, probably since I tend to get excited about something for no particular reason. :P Some are not so interesting, but still worth something in my opinion, which include a book filled with cheat codes for PC games published till 1996, a book on Apple II programming, one was on the various IBM compatibles and the hit applications for the PC platform, and another one was on OS/2.

Unfortunately I didn't buy any of them, since I had used some of my money since I bought two games, a copy of this month's PC Gamer, and a meal, and even if I did, I'd be rattled by my parents for buying "junk" (which is quite ironic, since they collect a lot of antiques, which include a fan which takes ten minutes to even start, a grandfather clock which could no longer be winded, and a 50's era lamp which is cannot be used due to differences in circuitry, and a rotary dial phone which could not be used to make calls anymore)

Should I just buy and keep them, since somehow I felt that I have to get them and keep them since I felt it was worth something, but I'm afraid that no one will really appreciate them the way I do with them.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sweet classic computer books

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Sweet classic computer books

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

View Posthdr, on 10 Nov, 2009 - 05:31 AM, said:

Should I just buy and keep them, since somehow I felt that I have to get them and keep them since I felt it was worth something, but I'm afraid that no one will really appreciate them the way I do with them.

Why does it matter if no one appreciates them the way you do? You're buying them for yourself, not for someone else :B. Besides, if they're dirt cheap, you don't exactly have all that much to lose.
Personally I would say buy a couple. I think it would be really interesting to skim through them and learn a bit about how things used to be. From those listed, I think the "repairing old consoles and arcade machines" book would be pretty intriguing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Sweet classic computer books

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

I once found and purchase (~7) the Microsoft vb6 language reference manual in a second hand shop.

Tip: Find one close to a university.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1