4 Replies - 849 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Subscription Management Ideas

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:46 PM

If many of you are like me, you are registered to several sites. Sometimes managing all of those sites / passwords can be a hassle. I typically work on 3-4 different computers.

I have various methods of how I use my passwords, but sometimes I will visit a site I haven't been to in ages and then I cannot remember my credentials, or my email for that matter since I have several webmail accounts that have been accumulated over the years.

What are some methods you use to overcome these issues? Any good password management programs, or methods of storing and retrieving credentials to be accessed securely via the interwebz?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Subscription Management Ideas

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Subscription Management Ideas

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

I have this problem alot. Everyday counting work and personal logins I used about 50 different passwords for various systems and sites. Most of the time I dont get to choose what those are. But the ones I do, and I know its a bad practice but I try to keep it on the same theme.

For work, Ill choose like an object or theme for that month and use words associated with that for passwords.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

I have been using a method that consists of 3 levels.
1 - least restrictive, if compromised I wouldn't suffer to drastically.
2 - Semi-secure these sites may contain sensitive data, or possibly some work related passwords would fit in here.
3 - Most secure - I can hardly ever remember these passwords, or sites that contain highly sensitive data.

Between work, personal and various forums and sites I belong too this can amount to well over 50-100 passwords.

I really would like a good way to manage all of these. For work I have an excel sheet, but then if I am off site and need access to something I am now S.O.L
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

I've just started a new way to remember passwords, while having them unique for each site. It goes something like (btw, this is not how mine is structured):
First letter + last letter of site i'm registered to + last 2 digits of year registered + standard thing I tack on to the end of all my passwords + random symbol.
The more obscure the better, as long as the formula isn't recognised by looking at all your passwords. Just remember the formula, and you're all good.

I suppose it should be mentioned that I only have about 10 active passwords, maybe 20 or so inactive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

This gives me a project idea (when I"m caught up on the 10.6 million things I have to do). Creating a small application (preferably portable, can run on a thumb drive) to store this information, and have a feature like BitLocker in Windows 7 to keep it secure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1