If one had a massive project in mind...

and needed lots of help...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 3901 Views - Last Post: 17 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: If one had a massive project in mind...

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:53 PM

To answer most of the newest questions... I fully understand 1 year is unlikely, in my mind I was thinking it would probably be 2-5 years before viable, unless it were to be 50-100 programmers minimum. Also, as far as the using of the linux based items. Most of the liscense agreements they make merely state you cannot sell their software, but you can charge for changes that are not free licensed, media is a charge able to be charged, and also for support. Also as far as the pay... I was thinking of something like 1 share for each person, plus one for the company itself. So if 10 people worked on it, profit would be devided 11 ways. Then those that wanted to contribute to the company could do so, otherwise go their own way. I am however open to suggestions and comments on any of the above ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:40 PM

You'd need more than just programmers for an os, what about graphic designers, testers, etc...you have to think like someone in your shoes. For example think like bill gates. What would i need to do next, how hard are the coders working, is this copyrighted or is it free. Plan it out and perhaps make some more topics as well for graphic designers...etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

gryphin, on 29 Dec, 2005 - 11:50 PM, said:

To answer most of the newest questions... I fully understand 1 year is unlikely, in my mind I was thinking it would probably be 2-5 years before viable, unless it were to be 50-100 programmers minimum. Also, as far as the using of the linux based items. Most of the liscense agreements they make merely state you cannot sell their software, but you can charge for changes that are not free licensed, media is a charge able to be charged, and also for support. Also as far as the pay... I was thinking of something like 1 share for each person, plus one for the company itself. So if 10 people worked on it, profit would be devided 11 ways. Then those that wanted to contribute to the company could do so, otherwise go their own way. I am however open to suggestions and comments on any of the above ideas.

All software derived from open source software must also be open source, meaning you must distribute the source freely. This doesn't mean you can't charge money for the software.

But (for example) if you create software for Linux, not using any other open source code, you can publish it with any licence you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:07 AM

that would explain why linux has so many versions, ie:
suse,
redhat,
etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

Sorry to not have kept up on this thread better. But I had a family emergency and have been too preocupied with my daughter to do much here (my daughter at 10 months old fell and fractured her skull). But as for the last post, the wage would be a percentage of profit. I.E. 100 programmers + $100,000 sales - $25,000 costs = $75,000/100 (or $750/programmer)... this is an example not a prediction of wages and costs. But that is how I see the first distribution going, split on profits to each programmer. If there are some that get more involved then they may count as more than 1 share... But this is to be worked out once there is an actual plan developed. And though the kernel itsself may be prohibited from being sold, there are ways around that. 1st, the source to the kernel itsself is all that would have to be released if it is all that is used. 2 it was a thought, not a requirement to come from linux, I have heard about many of the programmers here and am sure that more than 1 could right their own kernels if they desired to. 3 I am sure that this will not be implemented for a while yet to come.

However, any who would like to help in the planning of or development of this project are welcome to message me and discuss it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

Sounds like a good project for learning a lot of things - good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

View Postmicrochip, on 31 Dec, 2005 - 10:32 AM, said:

All software derived from open source software must also be open source, meaning you must distribute the source freely. This doesn't mean you can't charge money for the software.

But (for example) if you create software for Linux, not using any other open source code, you can publish it with any licence you want.

That's not entirely true. There are licenses out there that allow a closed source application (or in this case OS) to use the open source code. Smarty would be a good example.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +