• (3 Pages)
  • +

38 Replies - 2771 Views - Last Post: 19 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Need some advice

Post icon  Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

I wanna start making programs ( big programs )

i Know how to code in html and php and css

but now i wanna make desktop apps but not just little programs made in vb like web browses or timers wanna a laug that i could make somthing big in

i think maybe c++ would be best for this ? or would it be vb ?
ive made things in vb be for but little things

any advice on making desktop programs ?

What laug is best to learn for programming ? desktop programs

This post has been edited by nick1200: 14 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need some advice

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need some advice

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Most people will probably tell you to go with VB, and heaven knows I'll be flamed for this but: Avoid VB as if it were the plague.

C/++ is a fine language for desktop apps, but I really don't recommend it either. If you want to go with the crowd, I'd recommend Java or Python or Ruby. If you want to make money off of these apps, go with Java or possibly Python. If you're just a hobby programmer, and don't care about employment, learn Haskell or Clojure. Most fun you'll ever have with programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

View PostRaynes, on 14 Nov, 2009 - 04:06 PM, said:

Most people will probably tell you to go with VB, and heaven knows I'll be flamed for this but: Avoid VB as if it were the plague.

C/++ is a fine language for desktop apps, but I really don't recommend it either. If you want to go with the crowd, I'd recommend Java or Python or Ruby. If you want to make money off of these apps, go with Java or possibly Python. If you're just a hobby programmer, and don't care about employment, learn Haskell or Clojure. Most fun you'll ever have with programming.

ive never heard of Haskell or Clojure
lol
ent java 1 of the hardest language to code in ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Haskell isn't fun for a beginner, those languages are hard to grasp if you're not sure what you're doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

id like to code in java but a lot of people have told me that java was the hardest thing they ever learn't
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Then they are probably more or less retarded.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

View Postgawdlike, on 14 Nov, 2009 - 04:54 PM, said:

Then they are probably more or less retarded.

so java ent that hard ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

No, try it and you'll see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

View Postgawdlike, on 14 Nov, 2009 - 04:59 PM, said:

No, try it and you'll see.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

This really isn't a topic for the Lounge. I'm going to move this to the Corner Cubicle.

In any case, any of the C-style languages would be good for this. C, C++, C# or Java. Python is supposed to be fairly easy to pick up as well but I have never used it personally.

VB.NET isn't bad, you can do quite a lot with it. Just don't go with VB6. It is a legacy product and in future versions of Windows support for it will be discontinued.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Using up all your 1's and 0's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

I recently started looking into Python, and it is definitely a really powerful language. It's very simple, elegant, easy to deploy, cross platform, and it is constantly being worked on.

I am mainly versed in Java (not an expert, but getting there) and it is a very strong language too. Last time I checked Java was the most commonly used language in the world (I think .net is getting up there however).

Honestly though, if you want to write large programs, I suggest you start with lower level languages. Both Java/Python are interpreted languages, which means nowhere in your code will you be directly touching the operating system.

I know that some people won't agree, but I recommend looking into C, and I have good reason. It will introduce you to many good concepts that will help you later. It will give you direct access to pointers, not just implied access like Java and Python. It lets you touch the operating system through system calls, and understand what is happening behind the scenes. I don't recommend you go in willy nilly messing around in C, as you can cause real damage to your computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Python is interpreted, yes, but Java is both compiled & interpreted. I wouldn't suggest starting off w/lower level languages b/c they are a heck of a lot harder to pick up. Let me ask you this, would you rather code in some language with cryptic commands or a higher-level language with more English-like commands? With low-level languages, you have less abstraction making them harder to pick up sometimes. And if you are reccommending C, I would suggest C++ instead b/c you get a lot of similar functionality as C (like pointers) with the ability to use Object-Oriented Programming (which is instrumental if you are working with something like Java or C#). However, Java is a good language to start off with and so is Python. If you were to pick, I would say Java b/c its syntax is very similar to other languages like C/C++, C# and (less so with) PHP. Python, on the other hand, has an even higher level of abstraction than Java, meaning its syntax more resembles regular English, so you might find it easier to work in.

Good luck in your pursuits with programming. We're here to help should you need it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

Java would be a good choice to learn for it's ease ability to get into desktop apps quickly.

C++ is quite a bit more granular and harder to jump into. It teaches concepts very well but isn't as easy as Java.

From C/C++ you can learn pretty much anything.

I would recommend these two since they are a nice transition from PHP. Or I would think so...I learned C++ first so I can't say for sure. They are also the most used languages nowadays, and darn fine ones for any sort of app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

View PostWolfCoder, on 14 Nov, 2009 - 04:16 PM, said:

Haskell isn't fun for a beginner, those languages are hard to grasp if you're not sure what you're doing.

Meh, not really. Especially not Clojure. In my opinion, it's harder to learn Haskell coming from heavy OOP experience than it is coming from zero experience. Haskell isn't nearly as hard as people claim it is, and the benefit is extreme, because it can directly influence the way you program in other languages. It's an extremely fun language. It should be learned eventually, whether it's the first language or not.

Clojure would be the most beginner friendly of the functional languages, seeing as how it's not got a type system for people to worry about.

We're both biased, so our opinions are just opinions. We both know he wont learn Haskell or Clojure regardless. He'll learn the same thing the rest of population of programmers has learned, and he'll learn to hate functional programming because he'll likely never try it, etc etc.

I can try though, right? I can try. :D

This post has been edited by Raynes: 14 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

View PostTriggaMike, on 14 Nov, 2009 - 06:25 PM, said:

Both Java/Python are interpreted languages,