• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do Graphic designers need a degree?

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:38 AM

If yes then which is that degree?
What are the advantages?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do Graphic designers need a degree?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Do Graphic designers need a degree?

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

View Postmikeycs, on 15 Nov, 2009 - 12:38 AM, said:

What are the advantages?

Mikey, without trying to being enigmatic - Yes & No. Answers to your question are all relative.

1. Are you a design superfreak? Do you create awesome, engaging work with ease?

2. Are you in a highly competitive market? We're all in a recession and jobs are out there, but the competition is stiff unless you live in the middle of no where.

3. Are you one dimensional? How many design programs can you slap around like Mike Tyson.

Yes, a degree is very valuable to help you get the interviews and help your portfolio stay in the running. A few of the students I went through Fullsail's Digital Media program with would have been just fine without a degree, but I guarantee they added quite a few brushes and tricks to their toolbox there.
The media design world has been in a constant state of flux since the late 80s. Staying on top of your game is difficult with all the version upgrades and new applications hitting the market.
If you've got a portfolio that is way above average and some work experience to validate your portfolio, you probably can survive and work your way up. If not, take the stimulis money that's out there and go get a degree.
In Florida, UCF & USF are now offering 4-year digital media degrees. You'll be surprised at what you'll learn and the new disciplines you'll be exposed to.
Don't be in a hurry to lock yourself into the workforce. They're will be plenty of time for that. Develop your creativity and ability to learn in school. You'll need to learn and re-learn your craft until you retire.
So again, if you're not an artistic superfreak that blows away everyone around you with your work, I recommend giving a degree a fair shake.

Best of luck.

Jeff
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:48 PM

If you have skill or are willing to teach yourself a lot of things over a short amount of time and retain it then no, you don't Take a look at these three:
http://www.cypher13.com/

They make a very nice living and none of them have gone through school to become a designer. I believe one was into programming, one was into biology (that was their major) and one only did a semester of college.

So, it really just depends on how willing you are to throw yourself head-long into it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

www.lynda.com
www.safaribooksonline.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

You don't have to, but what you need to compensate is a heck of a lot of talent and a good portfolio to boot to make up for the lack of degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

View Postmikeycs, on 15 Nov, 2009 - 12:38 AM, said:

What are the advantages?

I would say you definitely need a graphic arts degree to become a graphic designer since this skill requires creativity and technical knowledge. You should know how to use advanced design software and applications to be able to create graphics. A degree in graphic arts will teach you applications such as Flash, DreamWeaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, that have become such an important part of designing these days. The reality of the market is such that employers are looking for everything academic qualifications, talent, and drive - in their prospective employees. A degree will give you an edge over others when you go out looking for a job. Check out the graphic arts degree offered by CollegeAmerica. The college apparently gives out a laptop to its students, which they can keep when they graduate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

Not to be arrogant but I have no degree and I can tell you that I photoshop circles around half of the people that enjoy waving them in my face....

It comes down to experience and how well something can catch your eye, a degree doesn't mean jack unless you have the creativity and standards. A degree only gets the first job, skills are what really count.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

lynda.com is a good one but it cost money but i can assure you the stuff are
quality work. I got an account from my lecturer temporarily and i'm now learning adobe illustrator cs4 from deke mcclelland.

It covers in detail every aspects of illustrator. Just for the fundamentals the total time of the video tutorial is 16hours+ already and there are more waiting
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

Degree or self teaching, it really comes down to how much work you put into it, a self-taught may have put just as much work and practice in as a degree holder easily if now more than.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

As a general rule, I think that people hire designers based on how much they like their work rather than how many fancy degrees they have. A degree can definitely make a difference if the potential employer doesn't know anything about you and can't decide between your art and the art of someone who doesn't have a degree, but beyond that it's just a fancy title to put on paper.

Although if you go into college knowing you want to spend your life doing graphic design, then it is definitely worth it to get one. You have to major in something...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

Granted. I'm a designer to an extent, but I also major in CIS and have a strong background in programming as well which allows me to play 2 roles (3 if I can get better into serverside/security moreso than I am currently)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1