6 Replies - 1370 Views - Last Post: 16 November 2009 - 05:04 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Piracy of web-based applications

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:27 AM

Hi,
I am in the middle of developing a new web-based application (PHP/MySQL/HTMl etc) which is also complimented with a desktop pased program. I and my colleagues see a lot of potential in the project and we startd wandering how do we protect the program from piracy. The program would be sold (web version with desktop version), ad therefore we want to protect with license keys (or similar) the program. I was wandering if anyone here has ever done this, has any ideas on how we could do this, or if there is a commercial script (etc) to enable us to do this.

Thanks in advance
RK

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Piracy of web-based applications

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Piracy of web-based applications

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

View Postrhodry_korb, on 16 Nov, 2009 - 02:27 AM, said:

Hi,
I am in the middle of developing a new web-based application (PHP/MySQL/HTMl etc) which is also complimented with a desktop pased program. I and my colleagues see a lot of potential in the project and we startd wandering how do we protect the program from piracy. The program would be sold (web version with desktop version), ad therefore we want to protect with license keys (or similar) the program. I was wandering if anyone here has ever done this, has any ideas on how we could do this, or if there is a commercial script (etc) to enable us to do this.

Thanks in advance
RK

The first question is is the desktop-based program strictly necessary?

With a fully web-based application/interactive website you will more or less have no issues with piracy as you would control who would access what content through logins and security etc. Anything that requires downloading and installing can be pirated and keys can be generated.

You could try a desktop-based 'shell' that would be useless without data coming from a web-server (i.e. there would be no point pirating the desktop app as you couldn't use it).

I am in the process of building my own web-based application and I've opted to keep it all on the internet. It ensures I have full control, updates are manageable, piracy is impossible and payment is guaranteed. It also means that its users need only a web browser and so are not tied down to a set platform and can access the app anywhere with a web-browser.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:09 AM

Thankyou for your reply, it is a business program and the desktop part is an option we make explore (i dont believe we will create it), anyway back to the point the web based program would be sold under license (copyright remains with us like you would when buying Microsoft Windwos 7 [for example]) and they install and run it from their webserver, I need to prevent someone from making copies and being able to use it on their servers without paying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:21 AM

jarowi what are you developing by the way?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:25 AM

View Postrhodry_korb, on 16 Nov, 2009 - 03:09 AM, said:

Thankyou for your reply, it is a business program and the desktop part is an option we make explore (i dont believe we will create it), anyway back to the point the web based program would be sold under license (copyright remains with us like you would when buying Microsoft Windwos 7 [for example]) and they install and run it from their webserver, I need to prevent someone from making copies and being able to use it on their servers without paying.

Although it's MS-based, you might find this resource helpful:
http://msdn.microsof...y/ms994921.aspx

Otherwise you might want to look at a few books: Hacking Exposed, Security+ and CISSP. It's been a few months since I've read them but they contain enough information to get you thinking about securing your application suite from being nicked.

Just thinking about it, a viable solution might be to have a central-control server run by you that contains a set of keys or tokens that are needed by both the server and client programs. The tokens and keys would have to constantly change (Kerberos style) or you'd just end up with someone cracking it.

View Postrhodry_korb, on 16 Nov, 2009 - 03:21 AM, said:

jarowi what are you developing by the way?

Its an application for the financial services industry. A bit like salesforce but with a focus on investments. It's an evening project to work around my financial services job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:46 AM

I thought about the keys idea but was thinking people would be able to remove that line of code so it didnt need to authenticate.
I am wandering how BoonEx Dolphin does it with their footer and/or AdventNet Manager Manageengine

Good luck on your project jarowi, let us know if you need web hosting, I have access to sell cheap hosting for reputable datacenters
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:04 AM

I think it may be a set of ideas that make it work, anyone post their ideas
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1