Website development assistance

Myspace theme for a new site

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 1652 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Website development assistance

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

I am looking to develop a site similar to myspace.com. My business model is much different and not in direct competition with the site, but I do like their ability for everyone to control their own space. Is there anyone out there that could help me develop the site or lead me in the right direction? My business does very well, and I would be willing to pay someone or provide valuable stock to compensate someone in the website development. If anyone is interested please let me know. I realize that there are a million web developers out there, but I would like to find someone interested in developing something new and original if possible, and a friend suggested this site. I apologize for the vagueness, but I do need to ensure that my business model stays unique. Once I locate an individual that is interested in the job, more details will be unveiled. For now I need a site similar to myspace.com or facebook.com if anyone has any info or could send me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Website development assistance

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Website development assistance

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:47 PM

Some of the first things you'll have to take into account will be following, since you seem to want to have a site designed for a social networking theme:

1. Server setup - Do you currently have a server that you run? Or possibly a host that you use? Social networking sites provide individuals with their own space, so they need reliable servers, or hosts that allow a certain amount of bandwidth.

2. Site Templates - Were you planning to have a sort of base template that will be used by all memebers, or just allow members to customize their pages in any way they wish?

3. Permissions/Security - How will users access their space? What sorts of actions will you allow users to make in their space (script execution vs. straigh html/css)?

These are few of things that will have to be considered in the design phase.

As for programmers, this site does have some excellent coders...I am sure you'll find someone with whom to work.

All the best!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:50 PM

Obviously, I am far from an expert in development. In actuality, I am a beginner. I'm just looking for some help if there is any out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

With an assumed customer base of about 200,000 customers would i be better off contacting a host or purchasing a server or servers. How many servers would I need or more importantly, how much bandwith would I need? I looked at servers and they were sold in terms of GB's. Am I looking at the wrong thing? Where would be the best place to look for someone to host this site if I went that route?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

I plan to have a base template that will be used, but i would like members to be able to customize their site if they so choose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

If you're looking at an assumed customer base of 200,000, then I would tend to suggest that you may want a dedicated server (possibly more)...one owned by you for the specific purpose of hosting this social networking set up. That is a lot of people (with the potential to require a lot of bandwidth), so you'll need something fairly robust in place. If you will be charging users, then you may also want to have a second server as a backup, one that is used to keep a copy (on regular intervals) of everything on your main site.

And no worries about being a beginner...everyone is a beginner at one time or another. I'm sure you'll learn quickly, and there is a lot of people out there (and on this site) who would be able to help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:46 AM

I think a smart tactic would be to find a developer(s?) first, find how their needs and ideas match your own, and then create the kind of server enviornment they feel capable and comfortable working with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

There are many way developers can assist you. One way is to explain it to each developer, of course this might take time, maybe not if you:

Download flowchart software, to cleary show how the site runs / scripts work.

Document the flowchart, go through each point. This could be then compiled into a webpage to show your coders much easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1