2 Replies - 1575 Views - Last Post: 17 November 2009 - 04:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Converting Arabic Numerals to Roman Numerals in C

Post icon  Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

I've been given an assignment to develop a program to convert Arabic numerals to Roman numerals using strings. There are very little guidelines, but I know that I have to use strings at some point.

P.S. I'm aware that this forum should not be used for homework, but I really have no idea how to get started and this forum seemed to have a bunch of people who know what they're doing.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Converting Arabic Numerals to Roman Numerals in C

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Converting Arabic Numerals to Roman Numerals in C

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

View Postaarizpe, on 17 Nov, 2009 - 11:40 AM, said:

I've been given an assignment to develop a program to convert Arabic numerals to Roman numerals using strings. There are very little guidelines, but I know that I have to use strings at some point.

P.S. I'm aware that this forum should not be used for homework, but I really have no idea how to get started and this forum seemed to have a bunch of people who know what they're doing.

You must have put a bit of thought into it, what are your leads so far? We can tell you if you're on the right track.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Converting Arabic Numerals to Roman Numerals in C

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

You need to start by working out how to do it. What is the maximum number you will handle? How will you handle stuff like IX (9) as opposed to XI (11)? If you pick several numbers, say 14, 97, 3652, and some more examples, can you work out how to do the conversion yourself using pen and paper, and use that exercise to come up with some kind of algorithm for the computer to follow? Once you know how to perform the conversion, you can then start thinking about code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1