14 Replies - 980 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2006 - 03:02 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hey!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hi all,

I found this forum whilst looking for some projects to keep me occupied whilst learning PHP. Then I remembered that you were also on the front page on www.webmaster-forums.net so I figured you must be pretty good :)

I am a web designer by trade, owning http://www.dodifferent.org.uk but I am learning Visual Basic and PHP so I figured that this might be a useful resource for me. In turn, I hope I will be able to contribute to some areas of the forums and donate some of my expertise B)

Anyway, that's me and my life. I'll see you on the rest of the forums

God Bless
David

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hey!

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hey!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

Welcome to dream in code! Glad to have you! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:58 AM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code David!! My name is Mark and I’m one of the resident Team Members here on DIC. If you have any community related questions feel free to ask any of us. DIC is the perfect place for new comers to expand their knowledge about Programming and Web Development. I know I’ve learned a lot from this place and I’m sure you will too!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

Hey David, I am a PHP programmer too.
You'll love this forum.

Oh I wanna suggest you change the hover on the links in your site so it matches the top div, which is *in the css*:

.head { height: 100px;
background-color: #666666; }

Now to make the the hover on the links match change the nav hover *in the css* to this:

a.nav:hover { padding-left: 15px;
padding-right: 15px;
height: 29px;
margin-top: 5px;
font-weight: bold;
background-color: #666666;
text-decoration: none;
color: #FFFFFF;
}

It will make a nice impression on the navi bar :)

This post has been edited by Wizzy: 03 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the welcome

@wizzy - thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a play around with it this weekend and see if I like it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:52 AM

No problem, since I worked with CSS on my site I notice it makes the linkbar look more professional and shows a sense of dynamic features in your site. All I changes is the background colour and color of the navi hover in the css to make it do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:33 PM

Wizzy, I am sure that bunced will take your suggestions in the spirit in which they were meant, but it is customary to wait until a member solicits advice on their design before offering a suggestion as to what you think might be better.

bunced is a professional designer by trade, it appears, and is capable of deciding how he wants his site to look. I know that you meant well, but please refrain from offering unsought advice...at least until prompted.

I know you have experience setting up your personal, non business site, but what you find 'professional' may not be representative of the web design community.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

lol, it was merely a suggestion Amadeus. All the change does is make the td for the link change to the same colour as the div above it, which could be better if you did it for :active, i know he understands what it does, but I had to highlight the change to make it easier to be seen. I like the site myself and would change very little, except that.

Thus, I congratulate bunced, on his good design and service. I know he understands the change I highlighted and suggested him to make and it would be cool if he did make it; it would blend in with the other div and not look different. Although as stated, it was a suggestion from a person who got:

W3Schools CSS Quiz
Result:
18 of 20
90%
You can be proud of yourself!
Time Spent
4:06

From a CSS1 test, but the thing is I am only a student aged 15. Bunced is a professional web designer who has a business. Maybe it was a good suggestion, maybe it was bad. I know whatever he decides to do now, will be the best choice. Because he is wiser and everything that happens has a reason for happening.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

Wizzy, I had no problem with the contents of the suggestion. It is the distinct lack of manners you have shown in this, and many other matters. I realize you are a young person, but there is no excuse for lack of civility.

The fact that you have successfully navigated an online quiz means nothing...student or not. I spent a good deal of my earlier years as a student...I do not beat people over the head with a list of my various degrees.

Since you have not responded to my attempts to provide a good example of how to act in a public forum, I will say this bluntly:

When someone asks for advice, feel free to provide it. If someone is introducing themselves to the community, say hello and welcome...if they want your critique of their site, they will ask. If you continue to act out of line, that is your choice...but it will not be tolerated.

Your advice in this case was not the problem...it was your arrogant and presumptuous attitude. Do not assume you know better than others...you have yet to demonstrate any particular proficiency in any subject.

David, please excuse this hijack of your thread...it is my fault alone - sometimes education must be paramount.. Please be welcomed to dream in code nevertheless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:33 PM

(Comes out of hiding from under the table)
W-Welcome to Dream.in.code!

I'm considering learning PHP to make a good site where I can put my portfolio programs in. After I get over my JAVA hurdle, I might need some resources on the PHP language. Know any good books I can get in the future for when I start?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

There are a lot of good books about PHP deelopment, and many good sites as well...here are some that are listed on the PHP site:

Clicky

Given that you are fairly well versed in C/C++, I expect you'd pick it up quite quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

Amadeus, on 3 Jan, 2006 - 10:07 PM, said:

There are a lot of good books about PHP deelopment, and many good sites as well...here are some that are listed on the PHP site:

Clicky

Given that you are fairly well versed in C/C++, I expect you'd pick it up quite quickly.

Ah! Thanks, i've bookmarked the page so I can look it up when i'm ready to learn PHP.

I'm well versed in C/C++? Do you really think so? I'm not sure...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pep Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

I didn't read the rest of the shit, but, Wizzy, you have to chill it with the suggestions. First, your suggestions make it seem like he does not know what he is doing and that his measures are maybe not as utilized as you believe they should be, and second, that his site is so dreadful you feel you need to make comments on it in a thread that is distinctly designed for my pwnsauce and you "normies'" introductions. Anyway, as grateful as your intentions may be, it is not how I, or others, will accept these revisions to peoples' work so I strongly suggest you wait until they ask for design assistance.

Welcome to dic, bunced, and you do good design work (which is why I'm on **[offensive-mode 295]**).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes guys!

I'll see you on the other forum sections :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Connection failed
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:02 AM

Uhh im late but anyways, Welcome to DIC :)

i think i can learn PHP from you, i know nothing ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1