dev-c++ and stack traces

doesnt provide a stack trace at runtime

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 3863 Views - Last Post: 04 January 2006 - 12:35 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

dev-c++ and stack traces

Post icon  Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:53 AM

Hi guys :)

I'm relearning C++ using Dev-C++. I've been pretty much exclusively using Eclipse and Java for the past 6 months or so, so I guess I've been a little spoiled, but one thing I love about Eclipse is that when I encounter a runtime error, I get a nice stack trace that allows me to track down the error. Unfortunately Dev-C++ does not provide that. There is a stepper function, however. I'm worried that when I start writing larger programs it might be more difficult to track down a tiny, not-so-obvious bug with the stepper, though, so I was wondering if there was any way in C++ to get a stack trace when an unknown type of exception is thrown at runtime. Thanks :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: dev-c++ and stack traces

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: dev-c++ and stack traces

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:00 AM

dragonlady, on 4 Jan, 2006 - 01:50 AM, said:

Hi guys :)

I'm relearning C++ using Dev-C++. I've been pretty much exclusively using Eclipse and Java for the past 6 months or so, so I guess I've been a little spoiled, but one thing I love about Eclipse is that when I encounter a runtime error, I get a nice stack trace that allows me to track down the error. Unfortunately Dev-C++ does not provide that. There is a stepper function, however. I'm worried that when I start writing larger programs it might be more difficult to track down a tiny, not-so-obvious bug with the stepper, though, so I was wondering if there was any way in C++ to get a stack trace when an unknown type of exception is thrown at runtime. Thanks :)

I was wondering if there was any way in C++ to get a stack trace when an unknown type of exception is thrown at runtime.

Yes. Get a professional compiler and IDE like VC++ 7.1.

DevC++ is a free compiler, and you know the old saying. You get what you pay for. :P
Dev C++ is great for a free compiler, but you can't expect it to match the level of a commercial compiler.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:56 AM

VC++ 2005 is free... I'm a Dev fan myself though. VC++ is nice to click and paste something together real fast, but I didn't feel like I was really learning C++ when I did it. If you want to really understand how C++ works, stick to Dev or Borland.

Read this its for VC++ but I'm sure you could transpose it to Dev as well.

This post has been edited by Israel: 04 January 2006 - 07:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:19 AM

There is also a plugin for C++ for Eclipse..try it out, see if you like it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone :) I'll definitely look into your suggestions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1