• +
  • « First

87 Replies - 45594 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best of PHP IDE!

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

Is 5 out already? I gotta start doing more PHP dev.

In my copy here (EAP 121.110 which I believe is 4.0) it provides suggestions perfectly fine on your example code.

EDIT: I actually filed an issue here a few weeks back. That version of the code had no PhpDoc on the get(), once that was added it actually started working fine. Perhaps there's a regression in 5.0 with this new type inference "engine" or whatever they've done.

EDIT2: Updated the parent issue they have for this.

EDIT3: For reference, here is Netbeans' Issue for @return static.

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 17 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

@Atli, @RudiVisser:

This is amazing! I always suspected there would be a better way for achieving what I was trying to do, but I've never found it yet. Thanks a ton for this. I'll definitely be implementing this into all of my projects soon.

Again, thanks :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Eclipse doesn't seem to be as popular here as I expected it to be. I've been using eclipse and I really enjoy it - even though I haven't had to use many of its functions thus far. For instance I've never used any of its debugging features. But I like that it'll help me with variable names and things like that, which may sound really simple. And I also just like the general layout of the thing. But this is also the first PHP IDE I use - could anyone tell me where NetBeans is superior to Eclipse, or is it just a matter of preference?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

A lot of it is preference, but there are some features that are different.

Of the top of my head, the last time I used Eclipse (the Aptana plugin) there were two things I usually use in Netbeans that I couldn't adequately replace in Eclipse. I found some plugins that provided similar functional, but not comparable, really.

The first was file syncing through SSH (SFTP), which Netbeans can do automatically for you each time you save a file. Aptana comes with a plugin that can do SFTP syncing, but the last time I checked it had to be triggered manually. Not nearly as useful as the Netbeans version.

And the second was SQL integration. There are of course database plugins for Eclipse, but Netbeans lets you do one really cool thing I couldn't find in Eclipse. That is, you can predefine SQL connections, and then you can choose them from a drop down inside the code editor. Once you've done that, when you create strings like: $sql = "";, Netbeans will provide code-completion for the SQL query based on the actual database structure.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

I'm really liking netbeans 7.2 a lot. I have it setup to my web hosting and I can ftp my source on save. Then again there is not a lot of choices for an IDE for Linux. I wasn't really a fan of eclipse and I can't setup a debugger easily so my choices are even more limited.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Alright so I took your guys advice and now I use the Singleton pattern. It is seriously amazing, I love it.

I don't use an IDE anybut but I use Sublime Text 2.0. It's seriously an amazing program. They have a trial out that's fully-featured and never ends, but I'm considering buying it once I get the money. It's one of those editors that are so easy to work with all you have to do is sit down and let the code flow. Not to mention it's beautiful :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I use Dreamweaver mainly because it was given to me as a gift and I already use it for my 'non-php' included websites. So, I already know the interface very well and it is capable of using PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Just a note for anyone who's a cheapskate and couldn't get PhpStorm at full price, there's 75% off atm in light of the world ending tomorrow ;)

http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm

It's 21 including tax for the UK.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostRudiVisser, on 20 December 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Just a note for anyone who's a cheapskate and couldn't get PhpStorm at full price, there's 75% off atm in light of the world ending tomorrow ;)/>

http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm

It's 21 including tax for the UK.

Since reading this thread a few weeks ago I gave phpstorm a try and fell in love. It was about the same time I started messing with github and when I found how well it integrates vcs in phpstorm I was blown away. Also, phpstorms ability to detect errors ( like the live inspector) that many other IDEs I've tried can't is awesome. Thanks for the suggestion!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

lol, figures.

We're thrilled that you've come all the way here to buy our products! Thank you!

However, we did not expect the load on our servers would be this high. We are working hard right now to fix the problem.

Please be patient and come back in a couple of hours.
There's still time...

-The JetBrains Team

I blame you, RudiVisser! :)
(Thanks for the heads up by the way!)

I've been using PHPStorm myself as well lately. Mostly because Netbeans has a kind of "Swing" look to it, which I never liked (but kind of tolerated for it's other qualities), whereas PHPStorm has a much nicer, custom UI. It also seems to be quite a bit snappier when it comes to working on large code files and when generating auto-complete info. (Which Netbeans sometimes screws up pretty bad.) The HTML/Javascript parts of it are pretty neat to; got some nice shortcuts that save time.

Definitely worth at least the $25 in my opinion! The full $100 isn't even asking that much, really.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I've now been using PHPStorm for a while, and yes it is miles better than a simple text editor. Refactoring is the part that I am most thankful for, though docblocks and typehinting are also great.

I have similar problems to you creativecoding, in that I use Factory and Decorator pattern classes to conditionally create object types. This allows me to "switch on" logging of method call times, which means I can then data-mine that "badly coded" methods in my App. The methods are spoiled below:
Spoiler

When I use the Factory class to build new objects, like so:
$myObject = Factory::Build(new myObject());

...then I lose all the typehinting for the $myObject variable, which is a bit of a pain. I spent a few days tossing up whether to implement this across my applicaiton or not, as it was a decision between quicker coding (via typehinting availability) and better coding (by being able to review the logs for slow methods).

That said, PHPStorm is fantastic. I have to give a round of applause to RudiVisser for introducing me to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

View Poste_i_pi, on 10 January 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

When I use the Factory class to build new objects, like so:

...then I lose all the typehinting for the $myObject variable, which is a bit of a pain. I spent a few days tossing up whether to implement this across my applicaiton or not, as it was a decision between quicker coding (via typehinting availability) and better coding (by being able to review the logs for slow methods).

I'm not sure if their @return static change fixes this or not, but regardless you could use a hacky workaround like so:

/** @var $myObject myObject */

Thinking about it, it's not so hacky. The only reason I say that is because it's technically not a valid docblock, but whatever, it works and you'll get your typehinting :)/>

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 15 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

I really love my NetBeans. So delicious. It has helped me overcome a lot of problems with my code and improve my style while I was still learning the basics.
There also was a time, when I used SFTP to directly upload my new files. NetBeans was there for me and just pushed everything to the webspace.
Now, that I am working on a huge project (SHPS), NetBeans makes handling SVN easy for me.
As this project grew, I had one point, where I could no longer just use echo 'somesh*t'; and var_dump($wth); to find my problems. A few thousand lines of code in several files is not easy to deal with. So I started using XDebugger. Again NetBeans just needed a plugin with little configuration and I was good to go.

NetBeans has been at my side for years. It has helped me learn PHP, overcome a lot of problems and still is a charming fellow with many features still undiscovered. It's not just some highlighting, auto-complete and comment analysis. It has become my good friend when coding PHP. I could never ever just change to some other IDE without missing features, layout and the feel of NetBeans.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First