5 Replies - 1641 Views - Last Post: 19 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Closing Port 80

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

I'm about to publish a website, and I'd rather not it be hacked or crashed. The usual way of crashing a website is through Port 80 being open. How do I make this port closed?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1

Replies To: Closing Port 80

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Closing Port 80

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

The usual way of crashing a website is through Port 80 being open. How do I make this port closed?
Your statement is amusing (I'm not making fun of you, rest that thought, but I'm just laughing). I believe a joke has been played on you. It's true that Port 80 is a vulnerability of sorts, but if only you realized what port 80 is the default for.

It's the default for HTTP communication. In other words, that's the port used by default to serve a website. You could shutdown port 80, but then you effectively shut down common access to your website. That's the joke being played on you. Someone's joking that the usual way of crashing a website is to exploit the website.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

*for security reasons* It doesn't matter which port that you put your website on. If you want the public to see your website, it must be listening on port 80. A web browser by default sends a request to port 80. If your webserver listens on a port other than port 80, then anyone whom will view the site will need to issue example.com:8080 where 8080 is the alternative port number. So no one for the most part, will be able to view your website.

The aboe also doesn't make your server secure. The fact that you are listening on port 80, in & of itself is not at all what makes a server vulnerable. Having your Operating System or web server software (apache, IIS) out of date, or having releases with known vulnerabilities is where most hacks come from. This is & sloppy code (if you are running PHP or Database).

Since none of this has anything to do with HTML code, I'm moving this topic to Web Servers & Hosting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

View Postjcremeans11, on 28 Nov, 2009 - 09:07 PM, said:

I'm about to publish a website, and I'd rather not it be hacked or crashed. The usual way of crashing a website is through Port 80 being open. How do I make this port closed?

http://www.http.head...ee.fr/http.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:26 AM

I'm unsure but couldn't he/she just not forward it from his/her router? Then the computer wouldn't be able to get it from an external access but he/she could from the local machine?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

Yes, you can forward the requests from the router. But the viewer of the website would have to supply the indicated port.

If you are suggested to forward port 80 requests to another port...

The only traffic on port is the webtraffic, so I'm not sure what you would be accomplishing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1