Not sure where to start, what to learn... Need some advices or a teach

• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 1889 Views - Last Post: 13 December 2009 - 10:00 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Not sure where to start, what to learn... Need some advices or a teach

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:39 AM

Hello everyone.
I wanna learn some gaming-related programming. I mean how to create games. I think c++ is the best for it, but it's a little hard for a beginner. I was learning some Python long time ago, don't remember it now, but i have experience. Now i'm learning Pascal at school, don't like it much. Pointless thing now, when lots of languages available. So, i need someone to teach me a little, or just give some advices or something like that. Where to start for example. Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Not sure where to start, what to learn... Need some advices or a teach

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Not sure where to start, what to learn... Need some advices or a teach

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:11 AM

You can always start with our game programming tutorials - there are some nice guides to get you satrted. Also, a good choice would be buying a book on game development.

Yes indeed, C/C++ are the languages of choice when it comes to professional game programming, however, different games can be created with different languages. If you are comfortable with Python, then try making some games with it. Pascal is probably pointless for game programming as it lacks many optimization and graphic features.

It is up to you what language to choose, but still, I would recommend you picking up a good book to get you started, so you get to know the fundamentals and not only the main coding practices.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:08 AM

Well, what books do you recommend? Maybe i'll take one at ebay if shipping won't be too high to my country (Lithuania). I'd go to bookstore, but mostly books are in my language here and i hate it plus later i'll want to work with some people (definely not backstabbers from my country).

And about games, first i want to create some basic games, maybe some little RPG game. Later maybe some shooter, not very big one too. After that maybe going to make some RPG game again, but little more advanced and then go for some more advanced games. That's just my plans.

And by the way, i think i'm going to need someone who can draw some images i guess or there are some websites specialized for games where you can download what you need?

Thanks for reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

Take a look at the resources page to find out where to get tools and graphics/sounds for games you are planning to make. As of books, take a look at this list and find the ones that interest you (probably, the ones for beginners). It is good to look at the reviews as those will point out whether the book is suitable or not in most cases.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

You gotta realize that you have to start slowly.

1.Can you code? If you can, how good ? How many programming languages can you use? OOP ?
2.Good at maths? Algorithms ?
3.Geometry?
4.Physics?

Not all games require knowledge from all areas I mentioned, just the most.

Don't plan that much ahead. Making a RPG game is a nice idea... Too bad its only an idea. Shooter aswell. How will your character move, enemies? Will they avoid obstacles ? Will they be smart? My suggestion is to learn to code first. I always recommend learning C, then C++/Java. Then start slowly, make Tetris clone, Pong etc. It'll take same time before you make a game that can keep a player interested for several hours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

The best thing for you to do at this point is to find a language that you can be comfortable with. Once you find that language, get use to it, learn the basic syntax of it and the basic features of it. For instance, C++. If you choose C++ then you want to learn what a class is, a struct, basic functions, difference between header files and .cpp files, How to read and write files to and from files. Its the basic things that build the not so basic things.

I prefer C++ because it is a powerful language and there is not a single task that cannot be done with a little C++. It also has plenty of libs used for 3D programming (I prefer OpenGL/GLUT)

Enjoy programming, and take it slow. begin with the intensions to learn, not with the intensions to make games, nor malware. It will corrupt your ability.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

Core, thanks, i'll take a look at that, probably i'll order a book from ebay this week.

Mercurial,
i wouldn't mind making a mario like game before these RPG and everything too. It shouldn't be so hard because it needs just some animations from 2D position, not like RPG game or a shooter which would be a 3D games.

Anyways, i can code in thse languages:
php a little, html not too bad, pascal (must to learn at school), python... don't remember this one well, i told that before, css a little too, used to edit databases and a little of c++ long time ago (editing only) and some kind of edited python and c++ (for cs:s game plugins, editing only too). No OOP.
I'm good at maths when it comes to logic exercises. I'm bad when you need formulas, don't know much of them. Usually i write only the answer to the question like x+3-y=z or something like that...
Algorithms. I used to write these when i was learning python very long time ago.
Geometry. When it comes to formulas - no. Same as maths. Physics - formulas... Otherwise it's good.
So you'd say i should start directly from C?

UG Cyber,
i want to make games only because i have lots of ideas and i have no idea what software i could make. There's lots of software already and about games... There's always new ones. New game means new experience. Oh, and i know those basics of c++ which you named here. :)

This post has been edited by newn: 30 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

View Postnewn, on 30 Nov, 2009 - 10:33 AM, said:

So you'd say i should start directly from C?

You probably would want to start with something you feel good with. Since you already have some Python experience, why not go with it, at least at the very beginning, so that you could grasp the concepts of game programming?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

Well, that's a nice idea with Python i think, because shipping takes time too. So if i learn python a little, that would be a start and my book would be shipped right on time i think. It's a long way from UK to Lithuania (when buying from ebay).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

Basically, the less you know, the more limited you are. Bad at geometry? Hard to make anything move in 2d/3d, etc.

Start with what you know, Python is something.

What I meant with the c-c++-java hierarchy is that it is my usual advice for people who want to be become programmers, for people who never ever touched programming. If you know something, start from it, but make a realistic idea for your game, make it simple in the beginning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

Well, what do you think about some mario like game? I mean side scroller, simple, not much features with python for the start?
And after that maybe something more, like upgrading the game... Then move to C and then to c++ while buying a book for c++.

by the way, why is it c-c++-java? Java's not so good for games i think. It's good for small applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

If you're going to do C use SDL and OpenGL if you're really adventurous. Or just stick with SDL. SDL is useful for beginners and as a launching tool for more advanced projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

Well, i cannot get pygame working. I'm using Windows 7 x64. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

View Postnewn, on 30 Nov, 2009 - 05:58 PM, said:

Well, i cannot get pygame working. I'm using Windows 7 x64. :/

At the moment you really shouldn't be worried about making games. You should be learning how programming works. You will need to have a strong grasp of the basics of programming. Topics you should have a strong grasp of, to begin with, are loops, branching, arrays, functions. The basics of any programming language. You do not necessarily have to have an expert level knowledge of the language, just a strong grasp of the principles and the syntax. Python would be a good language to start with, if you already know some Python. I believe Python is also object-oriented, never used it myself so I can't say exactly. If it is you might want to learn basic object-oriented principles with it. The basic principles are encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism. These will be of great help to you in the future. Even if you decide to go with straight C, which is not an object-oriented language, you can still use the principles of OOP to help you write better code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

Well, I kind of disagree. While I say learning how to program well is important, I think one should learn how to design and make a game first using some sort of pre-made engine like Gamemaker. No hard programming required, that's how I learned. I came into C/C++ with a mind geared to what is fun in a game and came out screaming because C++ isn't that great of a language as I first thought and turned twords C :P

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 30 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +