0 Replies - 1818 Views - Last Post: 30 November 2009 - 01:30 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Understanding Logic and Atomic Sentences Part 1

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:30 PM

A few weeks after I became a member to DIC, maybe a few months, not too sure, someone had sent a message about starting tutorials that had not been covered and may have seemed essential to CS studies.

I replied my thoughts on considering Logic Proof and Language (sorry, I’m a bit dyslexic… Language Proof and Logic). Since I haven’t seen anything as yet, I figured why not start something to help other CS first year students… however this is a 2nd year module.

Before I start, my book of reference is my prescribed book for the module by Barwise & Etchemendy.

Now, lets start...

In Logic, we learn the language of FOL (First Order Logic). In FOL, you have names and predicates, two very vitally important words in differentiating between English and FOL.

Take an English sentence,

John married Alice.

Now, lets convert it into an FOL language:

Married(John, Alice).

In the FOL sentence, John and Alice are the names, while Married is the predicate, which gives the sentence meaning. Now, lets take another simple sentence:

Ronica is home.

In FOL, it becomes

Home(Ronica).

Next, predicates have arguments, sometimes one, sometimes two, sometimes more.

Unary:

A predicate with one argument is called a unary predicate, for example
Home(Ronica).

Binary:

A predicate with two arguments is called a binary predicate for example Married(John, Alice).

Ternary:

A predicate with three arguments, for example Between(a, b, c) is called a ternary predicate.

The term referred to these types of predicates is arity.

This should be enough for today’s lesson, which covers the basics of logic. The next lesson we will discover the functioning of a logic program called Tarski’s World.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1