• (5 Pages)
  • +

63 Replies - 38266 Views - Last Post: 04 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XNA Game Programmer Roll Call

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Right now I'm working on a game modification program and for a personal challenge I decided to write it in XNA instead of C# so I could change things up a little bit. Because of that I'm having to create a whole new GUI framework. The project is available at http://www.github.co...heSEAHAWK/Redux
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

View PostMATTtheSEAHAWK, on 07 November 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

Right now I'm working on a game modification program and for a personal challenge I decided to write it in XNA instead of C# so I could change things up a little bit. Because of that I'm having to create a whole new GUI framework. The project is available at http://www.github.co...heSEAHAWK/Redux

I just wanted to point something out, XNA is a library, or some may call it an add on, because of the content manager, for C#, so I want to know how your statement makes any sense.

This post has been edited by LanceJZ: 08 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

My bad I worded that wrong. I decided to use the XNA library to code the controls and make something different instead of just using the bare .Net framework and WinForms. My bad and thanks for that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Attempting to create a highly realistic 3D flight simulator across a vast jungle landscape in my freetime. Not too far yet, but getting there. Perhaps it will be finished someday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Working on my "first" game. Have been typing a lot in regards to xna since it v2.0. But have recently decided to start and finish a game. And like a whole lot of people out there... my first project is a fantasy RPG. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

I'm doing all sorts of things to get my feet wet in XNA/C#. Right now I have a few projects in the works, one is for the Zune (someone has to develop for it!) it is a "Synth" that allows you to create simple custom sounds on the fly. For the XBox I have a game that I hope to port to WP7 and PC soon after, it is a dodging game based on gravity and dodging and lots of particles (thanks to Mercury for that), that is almost done and ready for peer review, only a few more glitches to work out and it should be ready. My other two projects include a PC game that involves complex geometric puzzles which I hope to release to Zune, WP7, PC and XBox. Finally I am just starting work on a physics based space game, this is still in the early stages of development.

Finally, my current big project is a Gluten Free app for WP7 as there does not appear to be any helpful apps for Gluten intolerant people yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm working on about three or four projects right now, all at various stages of development. I have a nearly complete space shmup, a resource gathering/mining/adventure game here, and I'm working through Nick's Tile Engine series for the umpteenth time for an rpg and also modifying it for a platformer as well.

I'm hoping to use these for a decent demo reel in the future, or the start of some extra income ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:24 AM

Just started with XNA the other day. Almost finished my first game, a space invaders clone, perfect for learning the frame work and exploring the use of different algorithms.

Once complete I will work on my game Galaxy Commander, a game that's effectively a cross between chess and battleships.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

I am working on an fps (not sure what it will become yet, im just learning xna atm.)
Trying to just get it up and running, then use as a library for future proper games.

I am at uni (3rd year), learning general programming concepts, which I am also trying to put into practice (and decide whether they are good or not-so-good in each application)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostVermiculus, on 01 December 2009 - 12:47 AM, said:

Beastly RPG set in present with time travel to medieval times; must get revenge and get back home.

Pre-Alpha

Nice! Sort of reminds me of Chrono Trigger by your description! Good luck with this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostLolzmao, on 16 February 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

View PostVermiculus, on 01 December 2009 - 12:47 AM, said:

Beastly RPG set in present with time travel to medieval times; must get revenge and get back home.

Pre-Alpha

Nice! Sort of reminds me of Chrono Trigger by your description! Good luck with this.

Actually reminds me of a book by Michael Crichton called Timeline.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hey Everybody, I've been a Python guy for a long time. Around the time I really got into web programming, I found myself losing some of my love for the language. I put in my best effort with Django, but things were complicated and messy. Nothing was ever straight-forward and simple, and it became really frustrating. That's when .net caught my eye. A programming language and IDE that work beautifully together? They lend themselves to a layered architecture? My heart was pounding... It was innocent at first... a little web-app, and a tiny sqlServer database driving it. In a few days, I got further with .net than I ever had with Django and it was amazing. I've now taken the leap and have done some serious .net development and the magic hasn't faded at all.

...Ok, that was fun. Anywho, I'm working on a arcade style win7 phone game that I think will be really cool. The idea is unique and I only found one guy who had a remotely similar game (and his sucked :-P lol). I think I can release a Beta version in 6 months, all depending how daily life affects it. I'm going to use Pivotal Tracker as my project management system so that I can estimate a realistic timeline. I'll keep you guys posted with the progress (and the plethora of questions I'll have).

This post has been edited by atraub: 13 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Welcome to the dark side, atraub.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

I'm a MIS and Computer Science major at GCSU working with some computer science and illustration majors at the University of Georgia. We're all pretty familiar with VB, Java, and C#, but for most of us this is a first leap into XNA. That being said we're working on a pretty ambitious story driven RPG set in a fantasy Victorian Russia. I plan to post a lot of updates here, as I also plan to be here with questions nearly every day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm working towards a couple of projects right now to prove to myself that I can do them. One of them is basically a 3D very simple game where you drive an ATV(4 wheeler) around the terrain and maybe "jump" things such as modeled ramps. It's mostly about implementing a lot of the core things that you have to have in almost all 3D games such as Heightmap terrain and heightmap collision, 1st person and chase camera systems, sky boxes, lighting and UV texturing, billboarding, basic vehicle physics, bounding volumes and their collisions, music and audio effects, and game controllers. I "may" get into another project that I've been thinking about, which is writing an XNA program that allows you to import models, graphically draw bounding boxes, and then export the model with the bounding boxes (or volumes) for import into other programs.

My current status is that I have a heightmap terrain with working terrain collision and a camera that allows forward/back movement with turning (no looking up or down although I'll probably implement that soon). I've also toyed around with Basic Effect to apply lighting, fog, etc on the normal mapped and textured terrain.

This weekend I plan on setting up the skybox. Then I think I may work on creating billboarded trees. I think after that it may be time to start thinking about reorganizing and cleaning up my code including a camera library.

In the process of building what I have so far, I started with a wireframe grid and then textured it so that it continued to "look" wireframe except that you could not see through objects. That gave me the idea of implementing a HLSL shadder to do "glow" and creating a "Tron"-like tank game. At this point, I hope to do that as another project. It would be somewhat similar to the old arcade game of wireframe tank battles called "Battle Zone", but have a more "Tron"-like look to it. It shouldn't be "much" harder than my ATV "game". It would still be pretty simple, with you controlling a tank and driving around trying to find and shoot other computer AI tanks before they shoot you. The big difference is that it would be over a 3D terrain with mountains and such.

Anyway, the whole time I've been putting this together, I've been thinking about writing up a detailed tutorial explaining how I wrote the code and why I put things together the way that I did. If I get it to the point where I think that other people could really learn from it, I would like to setup a website and publish my tutorials to help people that are just starting out by walking them through my "game's" creation step by step.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +