Request a tutorial.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

58 Replies - 38687 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Request a tutorial.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:57 AM

Thank you SixOfEleven for your quick reply, I'm going to try and find a copy and check it out as soon as possible, It sounds like it will help me alot, and by the way, your tutorials on a rpg game for xna 4.0 are awesome, i'm currently busy with them still, I'm at tutorial number 14, it's helped me understand gaming and programming alot better, thanx. Hope to see more on that rpg tutorial later when u write more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

Could someone make a tutorial on time in XNA? I've seen a bunch about ElapsedMilliSeconds or something like that and I have no idea what it means. I'd really like a tutorial on time in XNA, such as how to do something for a certain amount of time or do something every few seconds. Something like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Oh, another tutorial I thought would be helpful, an input Text Box tutorial, I'm trying to make my own but honestly don't know how to do it. I'm trying to make a math quiz game but don't know how to let the user put in numbers somewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostSparkling Diamond, on 29 July 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

A tutorial on peer to peer and server client, or just a simple LAN games in C# and XNA. im glad that this forum is here. I already created a single player game and i want it to make a LAN connection with it.

I second this request.
But I would add extra condition.
XNA for building game is ok, but networking should be done outside XNA (that Live lobby thing is just too restrictive and forces you to use MS services - my appology if I have gotten that part wrong).

It's actualy surprising, that out in the internet there are "one too many" game tutorials, but not a single decent network client-server / peer to peer game tutorial. At least I haven't found one so far. Only chat clients ect.

It would be nice and educational to have one, where things would be explained in beginner level. To understand how things should be handled for networking in game perspective.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

There is no easy way of explaining networking code at a "beginner" level. Networking is not a beginner task.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

If you understand how to do a chat client, creating a LAN game isn't different. The only difference is the data being transferred.

Any player input is passed to the server* during the Update phase. The server does all of the calculations on the new state of the game. Did someone lose HP? Did someone move? The server then sends out the new state to everyone listening. Every client uses the GameState during the Draw phase to draw what is happening on the screen.

So you need to think of what data you are going to pass. The more data you pass, the longer it takes and the more chance there is of lag. Once you have specified what information is going to be passed, you need to think of a standard to use. XML, CSV, custom? You then need to write a 2 generators and 2 parsers, constantly thinking about how to use less bits and do the operations faster.

That is why Kilorn said that it is not a beginner's topic. One needs to be good at both games and networking before attempting it, imho. By the time you are good at both, you are probably good enough to do it yourself without a tutorial.

*Server is just the computer that does the calculations. One of the players can be the server and "host" the game. Their game will run faster and with less glitches than other games. Why use a server and not a peer2peer? What will happen if I shoot at square A and record a hit, but before I can send you a message you have moved to B? Show that you moved to B and then say, "by the way, you got hit while in A"? It is better to have a little lag than to be displaying bad information.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

What i can add to the networking (since it is what i am working on right now) is Lidgrens Library. It is really easy to use and so far i haven't had any problems with it. Although I don't know exactly what my previous poster was talking about with everything he said, I am still able to get something to compile that works pretty well so far. So yeah, just check out lidgren, it comes with a ton of samples (none specifically to game programming) but I'm sure you will get along with it, otherwise, I might be able to post a tutorial, but I am sure someone should read over it again because I know my coding style needs LOTS of improvement :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Using 3D. :(!):
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

Hi, I'm new to quite new to XNA. I know how to create 2D games. But I want to make 3D. Anybody here who can please give me a link to a tutorial that teaches how to create a simple 3D world and move te camera with keyboard and mouse?

I want to rotate the camera freely with the mouse and move the camera forward and backward with keyboard Up and Down and strafe camera left and right with Keyboard Left and Right keys. Something like the controls in GTA 4 Vice City.

I just want to show the ground as a simple checker board (checker board of a chess board) and nothing more.

A simple tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

Hi... I'm new to XNA and I'm trying to create a simple tictactoe game but I don't know what to do with the drag and drop of the chips? I was hoping some one can help me with this. Can anyone give me a simple example on how to do this? thank you very much.. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

Is it possible someone could create some tutorial teaching how to make random generated worlds? Thats something that i would like to learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

That's an incredibly advanced and complex system. You'll need to do a lot of research on procedural generation. Riemer Grootjans has a tutorial series on procedural terrain generation on his website. Don't underestimate it, though. This is a very complex system that isn't going to be done in a week. If you really want to learn to do this, tutorials can only take you so far. You need to learn the underlying mathematics as well as complex algorithms for creating heightmaps using perlin noise, simplex noise, fractals, etc.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 03 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostMVSProgrammer, on 06 March 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

Hi, I'm new to quite new to XNA. I know how to create 2D games. But I want to make 3D. Anybody here who can please give me a link to a tutorial that teaches how to create a simple 3D world and move te camera with keyboard and mouse?

I want to rotate the camera freely with the mouse and move the camera forward and backward with keyboard Up and Down and strafe camera left and right with Keyboard Left and Right keys. Something like the controls in GTA 4 Vice City.

I just want to show the ground as a simple checker board (checker board of a chess board) and nothing more.

A simple tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at my tutorial, building a simple 3D graphics engine. The reader builds Asteroids using 3D models, as part of the tutorial, in PDF format. (I hate video tutors, sorry.) It is currently a WIP but I have four of six parts posted so far. Also the first two parts were published in SDJ magazine. I revised them for the public.
You can find it at my web site download section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

How about a tutorial on 2D Skeletal Animation?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

Does anyone know of a tile map editor tutorial, i know a few but they only go into saving the file as a .txt with a 2d array, i want to be able to make a map editor, that can save the maps as a bitmap/image etc
Any help appreciated, thanks

-Deathnotedo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +