8 Replies - 559 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2009 - 05:24 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Connect to server through browser

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

Hey guys.

I've been studying C# for 1.5 years now with mixed progress.
Now the education reached the part where we are alocated to a company to do our practical part.
The company im at wants me to build an application that duplicates files, edits and adds a few things on their mainserver. So far no problems.

However ive been brainstorming for 2 days, reading up in books, googled and everything but im not completely sure what's best to use.

Web based access so thier sellers easily can "install" the new customers is ofc the easiest way.
But is it the best?

My thoughts was to have a program on the mainserver which does the required actions when told to.
All i need is to figure out the best way for the sellers to activate it easily.

Sooo:

Use Webservice and build it up that way
Use Windows Form and create a access point that way

The reason im asking here is that the company itself aint using C# or Asp.Net yet. They wanted to see this application/function and how it worked before they decided fully to convert the whole program for the use.

Regards

//Claus

P.S. since i dont have anyone to discuss it with my thought was to see what you all thought. If its posted on the wrong section i appologize and will move the discussion to the right place for it. D.S.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Connect to server through browser

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Connect to server through browser

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

How many people are going to be using it? If it's under 5, then I would say go with a windows forms app. If it's more than that, I would say go with a web application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

thanks for the reply eclipsed...

I discussed some with a few friends that works with the same things and well...
There is a big issue when dealing with these things..
Like information from the employers :P

Im lacking huge of that so tomorrow ill sit down with them to see if i can extract the information somehow..

As for that question aswell.. How many sellers they gonna have? i dont even think they are clear on that..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

Looks like the company needs to get their information together. Get them to put what they want in writing. Don't just talk about it, because that can get lost in translation. Have it written down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

ok now i discussed with the company and all information written down.

they cant say exactlly how many sellers there will be but the "chances"(for them :P) is that there will be more then 5.
Therefor we took the decision to go with a web service.

Been sitting and looking around alittle and created a few tryouts so i understood the basic concept...

However i keep running into the same thing, the sellers need to start the duplication program on the server to set the new customers up.
As for what i found when googling about it the thing to use is:

Using System.OI;

And through that execute the program on the server however i cant seem to find any usuable functions.

Should i add the program(lets call it duplicate.exe) to the web service project as a reference or is there any other way that im bypassing? (ofc on the server itself aswell)

using Visual Studio 2008 Pro atm.

Regards

//Claus

p.s. dont have much experience in network programming so im a bit confused atm :S d.s.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

Are you doing a web SERVICE, or a web APPLICATION? they are completely different. The web SERVICE doesn't have a GUI. The web APPLICATION does.

what does this "duplicate.exe" file do? Is it a GUI that the user interacts with? Or is it a console application that goes off an does something after the user opens it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

ok lemme see if i can explain it better, was a bit confused when i started this post :P

The sellers need to be able to activate the new customer remotly from the server(for example by thier workplace or at the new customers HQ).
when they activate them the server needs to copy about 10000 files and folders and do some editing in a few files automaticlly, add a new website and adminuser to IIS and set a few settings there. The IIS things is on a later stage(nor me or the other programmers here is sure if its doable or not yet).

Hence my thought of having a program, duplicate.exe, on the server that they activate with a buttonpush.
Or is my thoughts and thinks way out? (as stated before, this area is totally new for me)

Regards

///Claus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:07 AM

I would create asp.net webpage, I don't believe webservices are good choice for this.
In c# code, you can do everything on IIS.

This post has been edited by Teres: 04 December 2009 - 03:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the help guys :)

We came up with a solution now.
After Teres post we sat down and discussed it once more exactlly what it should do and the solution was very simple really..
We are gonna create a .net component that will do the required services on the server and through the sellers website use this component.

So problem solved and ive begun coding it.

So no duplicate.exe... rather duplicate.dll ;)

Thanks again.

Regards

//Claus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1