• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 2513 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Env X Website

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

I have a made a website for my programming company. I'm 13 and looking for people 15 and under that are programmers, graphic designers, etc. to join us. You may or may not make money.

Website URL:
Env X Home
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Env X Website

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Env X Website

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

aren't you a little young to start a company ;) hahaha

anyways, your site is nice so far. It'll probably look great once it's all done :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

View Postiphoneorange, on 1 Dec, 2009 - 08:13 PM, said:

aren't you a little young to start a company ;) hahaha

anyways, your site is nice so far. It'll probably look great once it's all done :D

Thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

using a gradient for a header isn't among the best of ideas, especially considering the orange it uses doesn't match the other oranges on the site creating a tad bit of disharmony that can turn people off rather quickly.

Stick to 2/3 colors for a site design (b/w not included in that) and if you must use contrasting colors make it more subtle.

It's too early to make many more comments about the actual design seeing as there's no real content on there yet and that includes layout.

Scratch that, one look at the source showed that you're using tables to create the site which is extremely poor practice and is not the purpose of tables. If you want to get serious you need to learn css layouts using floats and positioning which you can find basic tutorials on w3schools or any good design blog. Tables are for tabular data, not for layouts, they are ineffective and hard to change on multiple pages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

View PostLemur, on 2 Dec, 2009 - 12:10 PM, said:

using a gradient for a header isn't among the best of ideas, especially considering the orange it uses doesn't match the other oranges on the site creating a tad bit of disharmony that can turn people off rather quickly.

Stick to 2/3 colors for a site design (b/w not included in that) and if you must use contrasting colors make it more subtle.

It's too early to make many more comments about the actual design seeing as there's no real content on there yet and that includes layout.

Scratch that, one look at the source showed that you're using tables to create the site which is extremely poor practice and is not the purpose of tables. If you want to get serious you need to learn css layouts using floats and positioning which you can find basic tutorials on w3schools or any good design blog. Tables are for tabular data, not for layouts, they are ineffective and hard to change on multiple pages.

I made my website using Microsoft Office Live because I don't know enough HTML and don't even know Java. I am a Vb.net programmer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

Then it should be no problem learning html, it took me all of 2 hours with 3 days sleep dep, and css 1 hour if that to learn. Javascript is similar in syntax and really not that hard to pick up on if you're all that good in VB.

Use Notepad++ or HTML-Kit to code websites, it makes it far easier on you for the long run, especially if you want to convey a professional image of your company (trust me, publisher/microsoft generated pages don't fly to most clients)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

View PostLemur, on 2 Dec, 2009 - 04:33 PM, said:

Then it should be no problem learning html, it took me all of 2 hours with 3 days sleep dep, and css 1 hour if that to learn. Javascript is similar in syntax and really not that hard to pick up on if you're all that good in VB.

Use Notepad++ or HTML-Kit to code websites, it makes it far easier on you for the long run, especially if you want to convey a professional image of your company (trust me, publisher/microsoft generated pages don't fly to most clients)

I always thought website programming but apparently not then, thank you. Can you suggest stuff that could teach me more HTML, Java, CSS
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

As your colors fade in to the darker shades in the header it will be hard for people to see the black text, dots, on the background. You might want a little contrast there, the colors are too similar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 2 Dec, 2009 - 05:38 PM, said:

As your colors fade in to the darker shades in the header it will be hard for people to see the black text, dots, on the background. You might want a little contrast there, the colors are too similar.

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

To be honest it's one of the best first attempt websites I've ever seen from someone your age. I'll s another look at it once it's done and give you some more feedback when you have some content on the main page :D

Good work

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

Far far better than my websites at 12 and 13.... Let's not go there....

Regardless your best resource is w3schools:
http://www.w3schools.com

There are links for HTML, CSS, and Javascript. The hardest is javascript but if you can handle any programming language and use it well it's easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

View PostLemur, on 2 Dec, 2009 - 10:14 PM, said:

There are links for HTML, CSS, and Javascript. The hardest is javascript but if you can handle any programming language and use it well it's easy.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

View PostVB.Terry, on 3 Dec, 2009 - 12:20 PM, said:

View PostLemur, on 2 Dec, 2009 - 10:14 PM, said:

Thanks

I saw some youtube videos and I notice that the code is similar to the bbCode on this website.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

Surprisingly easy as compared to a language. I'm at 19 now so I've spent quite a bit of time working at web design, you still have plenty of time to learn everything. If your area has SkillsUSA get involved in Web Design, though personally I was no fan of the joke at Nationals....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

View PostLemur, on 3 Dec, 2009 - 05:44 PM, said:

Surprisingly easy as compared to a language. I'm at 19 now so I've spent quite a bit of time working at web design, you still have plenty of time to learn everything. If your area has SkillsUSA get involved in Web Design, though personally I was no fan of the joke at Nationals....

Awsome
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +