3 Replies - 749 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

MultiMedia Software Development

Post icon  Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hey I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of were to start when developing mulitimedia apps such as cd and dvd rippers and players.

I am really interested inlearning how to write code that is capable of doing these things and I have no idea were to start. I know there are alot of open source projects such as VLC, xine, and gstreamer as well as open source codecs, like FLAC and OGG.

Can anyone tell me how I would learn to develop applications using engines like gstreamer.

Also, how would one go about writing a completely brand new codec for multimedia? I understand this is probably a really hard thing to do but wre would one even start to understand how these type of things are developed

I guess Im interested in learning alll aspects of multimedia programming from writing frontends to things like xine, to developing new codecs for multimeida, cd and dvd rippers and players etc.

Were would I start does anyone know?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: MultiMedia Software Development

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MultiMedia Software Development

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

What is your current level of programming experience?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

HI LinuxDruid

I would suggest getting the Windows Media Encoder SDK and using it to do a few of the tutorials like capturing screen video, recording your own desktop, etc..

Use the SDK to get your feet wet in the area then move on to other development projects. Learn as much as you can about encoding and decoding, modulation, and data transmission (bit rate, protocols, standards etc..)

Once you have reached that point it should be obvious to you (based on your personal desires of what you want to do) where to go from there.

Good Luck
Aet
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

I actually generally only use Linux and plan on programming for it too i was hoping to learn about VLC then starting my own thing have no idea where to start what language u think i currently no java python and am learning c# with Mono I am a beginner
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1