3 Replies - 742 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

best method for uploading/viewing pictures

Post icon  Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

first post on this forum. hello all. what i am trying to accomplish is having a website that users can upload photos. these photos will not have any security protection (anyone/everyone will be able to view them). pretty much something like a hot or not type deal. a user will have to be signed into the site in order to upload. but anyone can view, vote, download. i have a msgbrd going where the pictures may be able to be attached to a particular message. or just have the picture uploaded without a message. i am using mySQL with asp code. i know its not the perfect match but its currently working perfectly. i am wanting the pictures to be viewed in some sorta flash program for the niceness that it puts out.

pretty much, i am trying to get an idea of the best way to have the photos stored. either on a directory on the hosting server, or in the mysql database. there are going to be 1000's of photos. and hopefully 1,000,000's. obviously the more the merrier.

thank you. jwigg

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: best method for uploading/viewing pictures

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: best method for uploading/viewing pictures

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

I would suggest actually making a combination of the two, store all the photos in a directory on the site, but also place their information (title, user who uploaded them, date uploaded, etc.) in a mysql database (that way you can find them fast).

Hopefully that makes sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

yea that makes sense. its actually what i was thinking. give the photos a different filename (one that suits my site, not seen unless a user downloads it) and allow the photo a description(basically what the user possibly named the file). appreciate the suggestion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

Coppermine Photo Gallery:
http://coppermine-gallery.net/

Should fit your purposes, probably one of the most widely used gallery scripts in existence and as such has the most documentation and support for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1