C++ book recommendation?

need a new C++ book

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 2346 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2009 - 01:53 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ book recommendation?

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

I bought a book a while ago "Sam's teach yourself C++ in 24 hours" (yah right, 24 hours). I pretty much read through the whole thing and it isnt that good. It kinda skips things and doesnt go into very much detail about things. Also it uses terminology which they havent explained. I need a book for someone who knows some basic stuff, like cin cout variables etc. I am taking a class probably next year but for now this is all i have so can someone recommend a good book?

spank you very much,
ZOMBIE!!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ book recommendation?

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ book recommendation?

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

C++ Primer, whatever the current edition is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

I liked SAM's C++ in 21 Days book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:27 PM

I seem to recall Bench mentioning Accelerated C++ a while back, and Bench being my idol, it's on my to-buy list.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

How to program C++ Deitel & Deitel
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

The book we use in school is "Starting Out with C++ Early Objects" by Tony Gaddis, Judy Walters, Godfrey Muganda 6th Ed

It's an amazingly clear book on C++. Very highly recommended.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

Book recommendations, one more time.

I've consistently recommended Koenig's Accelerated C++ and Lippman's C++ Primer as the best starting combination of books. If you've got a bit more cash to throw at books, Josuttis' The C++ Standard Library is a must have reference.

C++ isn't a beginner friendly language in my opinion, and while those three books are excellent resources for a beginner to the language, if you don't have any real programming experience, then I don't recommend those three books. In fact, I recommend picking an easier language to learn with.

If you still choose to learn with C++ as a first language, Stroustrup's Programming: Principles and Practices Using C++ is a good introduction to programming, and should get you solid basic competence in C++ as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Well, I think I put too much time into C++ to switch so I guess Ill pick up a book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

I've been using Starting out with C++ From Control Structures through Objects (someone above mentioned the "Early Objects" version - only difference is the order they present the topics and that "Early Objects" uses strings in examples while "From Control..." uses char arrays). Very good presentation with everything I've done so far and throughout the book you create a program from scratch using the concepts you learn. It starts out very basic just using cout to display text and eventually becomes a full-fledged program.

My biggest suggestion with any book you get is to get one with plenty of problems to work out and actually do them. Otherwise you'll understand the concepts just fine but lack the programming skills.

As for putting in too much time to switch that's not true. If you want to do C++ I suggest stick with it, but if you feel switching might help then do it. The concepts you've already learned will just help you - and you can always come back to C++ later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:53 AM

View PostNykc, on 3 Dec, 2009 - 02:28 PM, said:

How to program C++ Deitel & Deitel

I second this recommendation. I haven't use this exact book, but I have loved the several Deitel & Deitel books that I have actually used. My "Intro to Programming" class used Deitel's "Simply C++" book - http://www.deitel.co...13/Default.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

I would agree with most of what Oler1s has said; although I think one of the reasons why alot of people think that C++ is a tough language for beginners is down to the way its taught, and the multitude of really bad books out there which make it seem difficult. And perhaps also down to the number of students who expect to be able to write singing-dancing 3D shooter games after studying a book for 21 days (those students should probably read this reality check: http://norvig.com/21-days.html )

Reviews of some 'beginner' books:
- "Accelerated C++": http://accu.org/inde...e...ch&rid=1185
- "You Can Do It!": http://accu.org/inde...e...rch&rid=470
- "C++ Primer 4th Ed": http://accu.org/inde...e...rch&rid=778
- "Programming: Principles and Practice using C++": http://blog.cplusplu...d-practice.html
note: the last book in that list is very recent, it looks as if ACCU haven't gotten around to reviewing it yet, although all the noise I've seen about it has been positive, and given who the author is; Bjarne Stroustrup (The creator of C++), I expect that's justified.

edit broken links

This post has been edited by Bench: 04 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

I dont think it is that hard, although I didnt expect to be a pro very quickly. I was very interested, because I want to be a game programmer one day, and I just couldnt wait for the class so I decided to self teach myself. Ive gotten quite a ways from when I started so Im pretty proud of myself. I have a feeling that once I take the class, and have someone to talk to in front of me to help me out, I will do much better. Until then its books, youtube, and google. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1