visual basic 6.0 rpg

trying to make an rpg in visual basic

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 8961 Views - Last Post: 07 December 2009 - 08:49 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

visual basic 6.0 rpg

Post icon  Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

hello, im trying to make an rpg game in visual basic with me and another buddy i have in my visual basic class, so basically im trying to figure out, at this point, how i would take some data that i have within some text boxes and place it into a simple text file that i would then use to load the character and stats for that player. i know that there is a way that you can write data into a text file, but im not that skilled in visual basic yet, that is something that we will be learning sometime next week, so if anyone can link me to a page with that info or tell me what i need to do to accomplish this it would be greatly appriciated. :P

_______
mmd123

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: visual basic 6.0 rpg

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: visual basic 6.0 rpg

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

View Postmapmd1234, on 4 Dec, 2009 - 06:27 PM, said:

hello, im trying to make an rpg game in visual basic with me and another buddy i have in my visual basic class, so basically im trying to figure out, at this point, how i would take some data that i have within some text boxes and place it into a simple text file that i would then use to load the character and stats for that player. i know that there is a way that you can write data into a text file, but im not that skilled in visual basic yet, that is something that we will be learning sometime next week, so if anyone can link me to a page with that info or tell me what i need to do to accomplish this it would be greatly appriciated. :P

_______
mmd123

Before you build a house you need a floor, You will be mucking around with a tile set i'd imagine, working graphics in VB is annoying and adding a background to the form makes it so SLOW, you'd have to work with a graphics input, to make this not chug, loading PNG file onto a 1024x768 form is SLOW, I have no idea why, probably because how it handles the graphics.

This is a link to my 8 in 1 projects I made, run the spaceship gaem and you will know what i'm talking about, the stars are labels just moved across with a timer to determine the speed, feel free to strip the code down and learn from it, you have full key functions and what not, learning this and then i'd say you're ready to take the next step in RPG making,
VB 8 in 1 source

A c# project I did a while back was battle arena, I made this arena style fighting game to learn more about it, there's 13k lines of code in this tiny program, you got everything from trade skills to rpg mechanics, also, read my half written tutorial, it WILL BE of some use to you, this project also saves, it's not VB I know but it's all object orientated and the syntax is basically the same.
Battle Arena

Hope this helped you out, let me know how it goes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

i have no game code at this point btw, so when it says to post your code, i have none at this moment, but im trying to get code to add some of the features one by one, and first i need a feature of code, or a small snipet to first get some data from a registration form, that contains data in text boxes written into a text file, and then another snipet of code, or they can be in the same one, preferably a function, so that it will check that same file for a character name and password, to then load up all of the other information contained within the text file. please and thank you for all your help, and again, the only code i have at this point, is none, just the objects that i am going to create the code for once i have the bare bones of the game up and running. please and thank you :P

i will include the files that im using for the game, and all of the forms that i have at this point...btw i cant download, so if you could post all of the changes that you might make to the files on a reply so that i can then FOLLOW them...THAT WOULD BE AWESOME...please and thank you very much...all downloads are blocked...just fyi for anyone that is willing to help me out... :P

_______
mmd123

This post has been edited by mapmd1234: 05 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

I'm not going to straight out tell you how to code this, But I can tell you where to look, I've already givin' you some files to work off, try making a hangman game, this deals with reading text files, and how to stream them into a game.

Personal experience and working stuff out for yourself is what programming is mostly about.

My 8 in 1 vb games has GREAT examples of things to speed you up.

http://www.dreaminco...h...=125971&hl=

Check through that 'tutorial' there, it will help you immensely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

View Postfrostyraver, on 5 Dec, 2009 - 07:51 PM, said:

I'm not going to straight out tell you how to code this, But I can tell you where to look, I've already givin' you some files to work off, try making a hangman game, this deals with reading text files, and how to stream them into a game.

Personal experience and working stuff out for yourself is what programming is mostly about.

yes i know you posted this, and i posted like i said the last time, that i CANT download the files, as the downloads are blocked, thus i cannot view the code that you have posted in the last and previous posts, you need to upload the source code to this site if you truely want to help me, as i cant download them, either the zip file or the exe file, so im asking you again, can you please upload the source code somewhere so that i can DIRECTLY copy the source code, as i cant download anything...vista with blocks activated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:00 AM

View Postmapmd1234, on 5 Dec, 2009 - 08:38 PM, said:

View Postfrostyraver, on 5 Dec, 2009 - 07:51 PM, said:

yes i know you posted this, and i posted like i said the last time, that i CANT download the files, as the downloads are blocked, thus i cannot view the code that you have posted in the last and previous posts, you need to upload the source code to this site if you truely want to help me, as i cant download them, either the zip file or the exe file, so im asking you again, can you please upload the source code somewhere so that i can DIRECTLY copy the source code, as i cant download anything...vista with blocks activated.

Ahhh sorry my bad, no idea why that didn't click, here's the source as directed for the 8 in 1 vb programs this should be all you need, it's commented heaps, too, my teacher went balls over heels if you didn't add 4 million comments.

Attached File(s)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

ok, you are making me go crazy... :crazy: ...your still not getting it at all...i physically can NOT open ANY FILES THAT ARE NOT LITERALLY SHOWING THE SOURCE CODE WITHIN THE ACTUAL POST... :blink: not sure how that is confusing, and that isnt intended to be rude, im just plain confused as heck, this is the fourth time now i think... just copy and paste your programs source code... and upload a few screenshots if you can.

EXAMPLE

<?php echo" HELLO WORLD" ?>  

THAT IS A PHP SCRIPT TO SAY HELLO WORLD...

THAT is what im telling you you have to do for me to use it, you have to ACTUALLY TYPE IN THE SOURCE WITHIN YOUR POST... and the caps are for emphasis not yelling... so UNLESS YOU POST YOUR PROGRAMS SOURCE CODE WITHIN YOUR NEXT POST THEN IM NOT BEING HELPED... not in the slightest, as i CANT OPEN A DANG THING, wheater you upoad it as an atachment to your post of not, i cant open it, EVERY SINGLE ATTACHMENT, COPY, LINK, URL, TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN HTML IS BLOCKED BY DEFAULT :angry: *CURSE VISTA*... which sux... so do me a favor, as this im sure you can do if you take the time to do so...

GIVE ME YOUR CODE WITHIN THE DANG CODE BBCODE LIKE SO...dont forget to click the button again once your at the end of your code...so that it ends this thingy...

get your programs source code, hit [CNTRL] AND [C] AT THE SAME TIME AFTER HIGHLIGHTING IT...
CLICK THE [code] button on the top of your topic posting panel, then hit [CNTRL] AND [V] and there you go, you have the code within your post AND USEABLE BY ME...WOOT... AND PLEASE DO THIS FOR ME, AS I CANT FIND SQUAT ON THE INTERNET FOR THIS THAT ACTUALLY WORKS...found lots that doesnt work, but none thus far that actually freaking works... :v:

thanks and have a nice day...^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

View Postmapmd1234, on 7 Dec, 2009 - 05:13 PM, said:

ok, you are making me go crazy... :crazy: ...your still not getting it at all...i physically can NOT open ANY FILES THAT ARE NOT LITERALLY SHOWING THE SOURCE CODE WITHIN THE ACTUAL POST... :blink: not sure how that is confusing, and that isnt intended to be rude, im just plain confused as heck, this is the fourth time now i think... just copy and paste your programs source code... and upload a few screenshots if you can.

EXAMPLE

<?php echo" HELLO WORLD" ?>  

THAT IS A PHP SCRIPT TO SAY HELLO WORLD...

THAT is what im telling you you have to do for me to use it, you have to ACTUALLY TYPE IN THE SOURCE WITHIN YOUR POST... and the caps are for emphasis not yelling... so UNLESS YOU POST YOUR PROGRAMS SOURCE CODE WITHIN YOUR NEXT POST THEN IM NOT BEING HELPED... not in the slightest, as i CANT OPEN A DANG THING, wheater you upoad it as an atachment to your post of not, i cant open it, EVERY SINGLE ATTACHMENT, COPY, LINK, URL, TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN HTML IS BLOCKED BY DEFAULT :angry: *CURSE VISTA*... which sux... so do me a favor, as this im sure you can do if you take the time to do so...

GIVE ME YOUR CODE WITHIN THE DANG CODE BBCODE LIKE SO...dont forget to click the button again once your at the end of your code...so that it ends this thingy...

get your programs source code, hit [CNTRL] AND [C] AT THE SAME TIME AFTER HIGHLIGHTING IT...
CLICK THE [code] button on the top of your topic posting panel, then hit [CNTRL] AND [V] and there you go, you have the code within your post AND USEABLE BY ME...WOOT... AND PLEASE DO THIS FOR ME, AS I CANT FIND SQUAT ON THE INTERNET FOR THIS THAT ACTUALLY WORKS...found lots that doesnt work, but none thus far that actually freaking works... :v:

thanks and have a nice day...^_^

My bad i thought you check my HOW TO MAKE AN RPG link, and wanted some more information. And/or my actual mini tutorial where I explain EVERYTHING you want, even has code samples.

8 in 1 = VB.net
Battle area = c#

Both still GREAT for concepts, if you know how to program with both you can reverse the code over. Which is easy to do, there's a great website that will revers c# code to VB.net. If you use the searches and take the extra time to go through tutorials you will learn more than what "GIMMIE DA CODE NOA DAMMIT" will teach you, programming is suppose to be an experience, like baking a cake.

Sorry again, I tend to lose interest in people that can't use the search feature or google what they want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1