Page 1 of 1

Screen Manager with XNA - Part 1 Creating a Menu

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

POPULAR

This is part one of a two part tutorial about creating screen management system with XNA. This tutorial is generic enough to work in both XNA 3.0 and XNA 3.1 so you can use either one of them for the tutorial. This tutorial uses some common object-oriented programming principles. If you do not have an understanding of object-oriented programming you may have a hard time understanding parts of this tutorial.

Think of a typical game out today. It is made up of many different screens. Some games have an introduction that plays to introduce you to the game. There is usually a menu that you can use to select options. There is the game itself. A game might also have a high score screen to display the players with the highest score.

As games get larger it gets harder and harder to manage the different states of a game, especially if you are creating a complex game like a role playing game with lots of different screens that the player will interact with. Using a screen management, or scene management, system you can reduce the complexity of using multiple screens in your game. This tutorial will use the concept of XNA Game Components to implement a screen manager for your games. An XNA Game Component can be thought of as almost like a game inside your game. It has all of the methods that an XNA Game has, it only has visual elements if you create Drawable Game Component though.

If you look at the class definition of an XNA game you will see that it inherits from the Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game class. Inheritance is an important concept in object-oriented programming. Using inheritance, a class that is derived from a base class can use the public, and in C# protected, methods, properties, and fields of the base class.

If you look at the methods of an XNA game they all contain they override keyword. This means that they are virtual methods that you override in your game. Virtual methods allow you to override, or change is a better word, the way the base class works. In an XNA game you are overriding the methods of the Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game class which controls the way the game executes. It is in this overriding of the default behavior of the Game class that makes your game work.

What I am going to do in this tutorial is set up a simple menu that will allow you to scroll between various options in the menu. I will implement the switching between screens in the second part of this tutorial.

Go a head and create a new XNA game and you can call it whatever you would like. You are going to need a SpriteFont for the menu. SpriteFonts are XNA's way of drawing text in your game. Add a SpriteFont to your game by right clicking the Content folder, select Add and then select New Item. In the left pain make sure that XNA Game Studio is selected. Now choose SpriteFont and call it menufont.spritefont.

Now it is time to make the menu. I will use a DrawableGameComponent for this. Right click your game project in the solution explorer select Add and then New Item. Make sure that XNA Game Studio is selected on the left side. Select the GameComponent entry and call it MenuComponent. When you create the component a lot of code will be generated for you. There will be the default constructor for the component, an override of the Initialize method and an override of the Update method. I will be making a few changes to this. I will let you read the code and then explain the way that it works.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage;

namespace ScreenManager
{
	public class MenuComponent : Microsoft.Xna.Framework.DrawableGameComponent
	{
		string[] menuItems;
		int selectedIndex;

Color normal = Color.White;
		Color hilite = Color.Yellow;

KeyboardState keyboardState;
		KeyboardState oldKeyboardState;

SpriteBatch spriteBatch;
		SpriteFont spriteFont;

Vector2 position;
		float width = 0f;
		float height = 0f;

public int SelectedIndex
		{
			get { return selectedIndex; }
			set
			{
				selectedIndex = value;
				if (selectedIndex < 0)
					selectedIndex = 0;
				if (selectedIndex >= menuItems.Length)
					selectedIndex = menuItems.Length - 1;
			}
		}

public MenuComponent(Game game, 
			SpriteBatch spriteBatch, 
			SpriteFont spriteFont, 
			string[] menuItems)
			: base(game)
		{
			this.spriteBatch = spriteBatch;
			this.spriteFont = spriteFont;
			this.menuItems = menuItems;
			MeasureMenu();
		}

private void MeasureMenu()
		{
			height = 0;
			width = 0;
			foreach (string item in menuItems)
			{
				Vector2 size = spriteFont.MeasureString(item);
				if (size.X > width)
					width = size.X;
				height += spriteFont.LineSpacing + 5;
			}

position = new Vector2(
				(Game.window.ClientBounds.Width - width) / 2,
				(Game.window.ClientBounds.Height - height) / 2);
		}

public override void Initialize()
		{
			base.Initialize();
		}

private bool CheckKey(Keys theKey)
		{
			return keyboardState.IsKeyUp(theKey) && 
				oldKeyboardState.IsKeyDown(theKey);
		}

public override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
		{
			keyboardState = Keyboard.GetState();

if (CheckKey(Keys.Down))
			{
				selectedIndex++;
				if (selectedIndex == menuItems.Length)
					selectedIndex = 0;
			}
			if (CheckKey(Keys.Up))
			{
				selectedIndex--;
				if (selectedIndex < 0)
					selectedIndex = menuItems.Length - 1;
			}
			base.Update(gameTime);

oldKeyboardState = keyboardState;
		}

public override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
		{
			base.Draw(gameTime);
			Vector2 location = position;
			Color tint;

for (int i = 0; i < menuItems.Length; i++)
			{
				if (i == selectedIndex)
					tint = hilite;
				else
					tint = normal;
				spriteBatch.DrawString(
					spriteFont,
					menuItems[i],
					location,
					tint);
				location.Y += spriteFont.LineSpacing + 5;
			}
		}
	}
}

When you create a Game Component it is inherited from GameComponent. I changed this to inherit from DrawableGameComponent because I will be drawing the menu items in this component. I added eleven fields to the class. The first two, menuItems and selectedIndex, will hold the items for the menu and which item is currently selected. normal and hilite will be used in drawing the menu items. normal will be the color to draw the normal menu items and hilite will be the color to draw the currently selected menu item.

The KeyboardState fields keyboardState and oldKeyboardState will hold the current state of the keyboard and the state of the keyboard in the previous frame of the game. What I mean by frame is that an XNA game tries to call the Update and Draw methods as close to 60 times per second by default. Each call to the Update and Draw methods are considered a frame in the game. These fields will be used to detect single key presses of the Up and Down arrow keys.

The spriteBatch and spriteFont fields will be used for drawing the text of the menu. The SpriteBatch class has a method called DrawString that draws text on the window. Like I mentioned earlier you need a SpriteFont object to draw text with XNA. The last three fields, position, width, and height will be used to position the menu on the screen.

I truly do not like making fields inside a class public unless it is absolutely necessary. I will eventually need a way to get and set the selected menu item. I used a property for this called SelectedIndex. The get part of the property just returns the value of the selectedIndex field. The set property preforms a little validation on the value to set the selectedIndex field. It first sets selectedIndex to value, the value passed to the property. It then checks to see if selectedIndex is less than zero. If it is it then sets selectedIndex to zero. It then checks to make sure that selectedIndex is not greater than or equal to the length of the array. If it is it sets selectedIndex to be the length of the array minus 1.

The reason for these checks is that the menu items are stored in an array of strings. If you try to access an array element using a negative index you will get an array out of bounds exception. Similarly if you try and access an element greater than or equal to length of the array you will get the same exception.

The constructor for the class has four parameters: game, spriteBatch, spriteFont, and menuItems. The reason for the first one is that the class that GameComponents and DrawableGameComponents inherit from require a Game object. That is why there is a : base(game) after the right bracket. The constructor sets the spriteBatch, spriteFont, and menuItems fields. It then calls the MeasureMenu method that I wrote to measure the height and width of the menu. It will also center the menu on the screen.

The MeasureMenu method first sets the height and width fields to be zero. The reason is that they will be used to center the menu in the window. Each time this method is called you should reset the values so they will be set to the appropriate values.

In a foreach loop I then loop through the items in the menu. I get the size of the string using the MeasureString method of the SpriteFont class. This method returns a Vector2 with the X property being the width of the string and the Y property being the height of the string. If the X property of the size is greater than the width I set width to be the X property of the size. This is because to center the menu properly I need to know the width of the menu. To calculate the height of the menu I use the LineSpacing property of the SpriteFont class. If you think of a word processor. When you are typing and you go to the next line of text there is a little spacing between the lines of text. The LineSpacing property measures the distance from the start of the text to the start of the text on the next line. I also add an extra 5 pixels to space it out a little more.

Centering objects is something that you will come across frequently in programming, especially game programming. To center an object horizontally you take the width of what you want to center the object in, subtract the width of the object and divide that by two. So for the X property of the Vector2 that will hold the position of the menu I use the width of the window and the width of the largest menu item. Similarly for the height you take the height of what you are centering in, subtract the height of the object, and divide that by two. So for the Y property of the Vector2 of the position I take the height of the window, subtract the height of the menu, and divide that by two.

After the Initialize method, that I didn't do anything in because there was no need, is a method called CheckKey that accepts a Key parameter and returns true if the Key parameter has been pressed in the last frame and released in the current frame. Many people do this the opposite way, checking to see if it is down in the current frame and released in the last frame. This will lead to problems when working with menus. The reason is when you move from one menu to another the keyboard states could be in the same state causing the currently selected item in the next menu to be selected. You check to see if a key is currently up using the IsKeyUp method of the KeyboardState class passing in the key you are interested. Similarly to check if a key is down you use the IsKeyDown method passing in the key. In the first one the method returns true if the key is currently up, false otherwise. IsKeyDown returns true if the key is currently down and false if it is up.

The Update method is where I actually handle the moving of the selected menu item up and down using the Up and Down arrow keys. I first set the current state of the keyboard, keyboardState, to the current state of the keyboard using Keyboard.GetState. That reads the current state of the keyboard. I then I call the CheckKey method passing in the Down key. If the Down key was pressed I increase the selectedIndex field by 1. I check to make sure that it is not the length of the menu items. If it is I go to the first item in the causing the selected item to wrap from bottom to top. I then check to see if the Up key was pressed once. If it was I decrease the selectedIndex field by 1. If it is less than zero I set selectedIndex to be the number of items minus 1, the last item, causing the item to wrap from the top of the menu to the bottom. Before exiting the Update method I set the oldKeyboardState field to be keyboardState field so that in the next frame of the game I will have the current state of the keyboard and the last state of the keyboard.

The Draw method is where I draw the menu items on the screen. You maybe wondering why I am drawing things after the call to base.Draw(gameTime). The reason is that since I am using Game Components drawing after that call will cause this component to be drawn after other components. The reason is that the order of rendering objects in 2D is important. The last drawn objects will appear over top of previously drawn objects. If you draw the menu before the call to base.Draw(gameTime) it will be drawn over by other objects. You want the menu to appear on the top. You also maybe wondering why there is no call to the Begin and End methods of the SpriteBatch class. The reason is when you add a Game Component to the list of Game Components in the game, XNA will automatically call their Draw and Update methods when the base.Update and base.Draw methods are called in your game, if the components are enabled and visible. You will see further when I get to the Game1 class.

There are two local variables in this method: location and tint. location will hold where to draw the next line of the menu and is set initially to the position field that I calculated earlier. The tint variable will be used to determine what color to draw the text. There is a for loop that loops through all of the menu items. I used a for loop instead of a foreach loop so I could check if the index, i, is equal to selectedIndex. If i is equal to selectedIndex I set tint to hilite so the item will be hilited other wise I set tint to normal because it is regular text.

I used the DrawString method of the SpriteBatch class to draw the actual string. The overload that I used requires four parameters: the SpriteFont to draw the text with, the text to draw, the location to draw it, and the color to draw it.

To have the lines of the menu appear on different lines I add the LineSpacing property of the SpriteFont and 5 pixels to the Y property of the location variable. Just the same as I did in the MeasureMenu method. If you don't do it the same as you did there it won't be centered in the window.

Now I can implement a simple menu that you can scroll through the items of the menu in. At the moment it will not do anything else. Adding that in will make the tutorial longer than it already is. The first thing you will need to do is add a field to the Game1 class to hold the MenuComponent. Add the following field to your class just below the SpriteBatch field.

MenuComponent menuComponent;

Now you need to actually create a menu and add it to the list of components of the game. You will do that in the LoadContent method. What I did was create a string array with three entries in it: Start Game, High Scores, and End Game. After the spriteBatch field was created, because I need to pass it to the component, I created the component using the constructor passing in: this, spriteBatch, the sprite font, and the menuItems variable. The word this refers to the current Game object. spriteBatch is the current SpriteBatch object in use. I used the Content.Load method to load in the SpriteFont that was added to the game. I finally add the new MenuComponent to the list of components of the game. This is the code for the LoadContent method.

protected override void LoadContent()
{
	string[] menuItems = { "Start Game", "High Scores", "End Game" };

spriteBatch = new SpriteBatch(GraphicsDevice);

menuComponent = new MenuComponent(this,
		spriteBatch,
		Content.Load<SpriteFont>("menufont"),
		menuItems);
	Components.Add(menuComponent);
}

I didn't have to add anything into the Initialize, UnloadContent or Update methods. Because the component was added to the list of components of the game its Update method will automatically be called when base.Update is called.

In the Draw method I call the Begin method of the SpriteBatch class after the call to the Clear method which clears the window. Then there is the call to base.Draw so that all child components will be drawn and finally call the End method of the SpriteBatch class to stop drawing. This the code for the Draw method.

protected override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
{
	GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.CornflowerBlue);

spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteBlendMode.AlphaBlend);

base.Draw(gameTime);

spriteBatch.End();
}

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 8
  • +

Replies To: Screen Manager with XNA - Part 1

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Again an awesome tutorial i realy apreciate that you don't know how much you help me honestly :)

:^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_Vidal G.*

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

Excellent tutorial but more amazing capabilities of teaching...keep it up :rockon:
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#4 Guest_Kumlekar*

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Excellent tutorial, but it throws an error due to Game.window not being capitialized in the MeasureMenu() method.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

View PostKumlekar, on 08 April 2010 - 09:51 PM, said:

Excellent tutorial, but it throws an error due to Game.window not being capitialized in the MeasureMenu() method.

Thanks for pointing that out. The code that was posted has it as Game.Window and not Game.window. (I just tried to edit the code to resolve that little error.) I believe it has something to do with the Javascript that high lights and formats the code in the code view pane.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Guest_Borok*

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

Got this strange error when compiling pasted code :

Error 1 Inconsistent accessibility: parameter type 'Test.Game' is less accessible than method 'Test.MenuComponent.MenuComponent(Test.Game, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteFont, string[])' C:\...\Test\MenuComponent.cs 48 16 Test

redirecting to :

public MenuComponent(Game game, SpriteBatch spriteBatch, SpriteFont spriteFont, string[] menuItems) : base(game)
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

The only thing that needs to be changed for this to work with XNA 4.0 is to change:

spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteBlendMode.AlphaBlend);

to:

spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteSortMode.Deferred, BlendState.AlphaBlend, null, null, null);

This is apart from the Game.window not being capitialized issue.

This post has been edited by Leeb65: 20 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

I did the full project off of this site and it does not work ... so what are you leaving out when it comes to the... InvalidOperationException was unhandled Begin must be called successfully before a Draw can be called. So do you have any idea on how to fix it ..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

On the
public class MenuComponent : Microsoft.Xna.Framework.DrawableGameComponent
line, "MenuComponent" is underlined and I get this error:

Missing partial modifier on declaration of type 'Game.MenuComponent'; another partial declaration of this type exists

I'm not sure what to do about this error.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

I figured out that there was some computer generated code elsewhere declaring the same class name.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

i have a problem with this line:

position = new Vector2(

(Game.window.ClientBounds.Width - width) / 2,
                (Game.window.ClientBounds.Height - height) / 2);

the code donīt recognize the "window".
i donīt know how to eliminate the problem!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

Try capitalizing window. The code blocks on this website have a little bug that pops up sometimes that causes capitalized letters to show up as lower case. Game.Window is a member of the Game class in the XNA Framework. If will definitely recognize it, unless you forgot a reference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Honestly guys. Don't you guys read the author's comments about the lowercased 'window'? He explained clearly that the original code did contain an uppercased 'window'.

Also, a few minutes of research would've given you the answer to the error produced by SpriteBatch.Begin. Just take out the parameter and use the default overloaded method SpriteBatch.Begin(), instead.

See here for link: http://msdn.microsof...y/bb195108.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1