10 Commandments of Web Design

I bit of humor on web design I came up with a while back.

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 1504 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

10 Commandments of Web Design

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:57 PM

A joke I wrote last year for kicks and sent in to the districts Web Design teacher.

I. Thou shalt not use Comic Sans

It doesnít matter what form of justification you can humanly come up with, if youíre not a grade-schooler using every font word has to offer you DO NOT use this. Comic Sans is a font that is far too cartoony and childish for any practical purposes. Period.

Path to Salvation
You know it, you may think you hate it but Times New Romans is actually a great font to use for standard news, if not that then Georgia is a great font to use as well.

II. Thou shalt not design with tables

I donít know how many sites Iíve visited that have used tables as the primary way to design a layout. Tables can be used for layouts, but the effectiveness is horrid. Tables are used for data, not layouts. CSS Based layouts are overall cleaner, easier to manage, and can be moved and modified infinitely faster than a table site.

Path to Salvation
Use CSS, any good web designer will tell you that tables are far gone. CSS is a great innovation that allows you to use one file to link multiple pages and style them all at once. You can have the same base html and have millions of different possible designs to chose from, just check out the csszengarden!

III. Thou shalt not use the name of gradients in vain

Iíve seen far too many people use gradients so liberally that the design of their site overall suffers. In some cases I would even debate as to whether or not it can be called a design. Itís going too far if the only images you have on site are gradients, you need white space and even more so you need some actual imagery.

Path to Salvation
Gradients are useful, yes, but only in moderation. A bold gradient that blends two colors such as red and green are out of the question. Soft, subtle gradients can improve the depth and feel of your site and are only at their best when you don't notice them unless someone points them out (or you're a designer and you look into everything....)

IV. Thou shalt stay the heck away from Publisher

Publisher deserves to be burned for all the horrific things it has let onto the web in forms of school sites and cheap business layouts. Publishers code that it generates is such a garbled mess that almost no one can translate it to English, much less valid html. Publisher sites have a nasty tendency to look cheap because of little to no control and the available control is horrid.

Path to Salvation
Microsoft always attempts at making things easier for their customers, and honestly you can't blame them, but this is for home users and others. If you want your site to hold reputation you have to break free and learn the actual code or hire someone to do it for you. W3Schools is a great resource to learn HTML.

V. Honor thy w3 and compliance standards

This has to be one of the most important by far. Without standards for the web there would be absolutely no order, we would have firefox only, IE only (Lord forbidÖ), Safari only, and etc. Imagine what that would do to the commoner looking through some sites. If your little tool or trick doesnít stay within these standards then chances are itís a bad idea.

Path to Salvation
Run all of your scripts through a w3 validation which can be found through google. Most of the problems you'll have with your website such as mismatched or unclosed tags are picked up and alerted to you saving precious time on debugging that you could use for more effective means.

VI. Love thy framework as thyself

Frameworks are a miracle in and of themselves. They save massive amounts of time and sleep and provide an easier way to do things. Frameworks can speed up development by hours at a time making you more money, getting more hits, the whole deal. They may be great but if every element on your site is moving at 100 mph and blinking from javascript effects it may be time to lay off a tad bit and respect the framework.

Path to Salvation
JQuery and MooTools are great tools, yes, but as with gradients, only in moderation and only if they're not immediately noticeable. Great design is transparent.

VII. Thou shalt have no IE 6 or below before me

IE6 and below are the WORST NIGHTMARE of almost any designer and coder out there. Why is this? Because of horrid compliance to the w3 Standards. If I could chose between inheriting Bill Gates fortune and permanently eradicating IE 6 and below I would go with nuking IE without batting an eye.

Path to Salvation
Upgrade to firefox, opera, chrome, or at least get the new version of IE. IE 6 is finally in its dying days and it seems like even google wants it hung.

VIII. Thou shalt not blindeth thy visitor with fluorescent colors

No, Hot Pink does NOT make your site or font stand out. Iíve contracted some form of epilepsy from all the clashing and bright colors some people try and pass off as design. 3 Colors and youíre done, you jam your entire crayola set into your screen and somethings wrongÖ

Path to Salvation
Read into color theory. Subtle colors are the best to use, and less is more. Often times I use a maximum of 2-3 base colors and expand from that. Bright colors should only be used with parental supervision.

IX. Thou shalt not hoggeth my bandwidth with hotlinkething

Image thievery is probably one of the most annoying things out there, this includes site ripping. Why exactly people believe that they can borrow someone elses work then claim it as their own for their own glory is far beyond my comprehension.

Path to Salvation
Read up on design, people will respect you far more for creating and learning than jacking an artists work or a programmers code, and you tend to make less enemies along the way for some obscure reason. The internet isn't a scrapbook, you have to ask before you can play with someone elses toys, or you might get the nice copywrite cease and desist.

X. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors hosting package.

Or their design, or their code, or anything else of theirs for that matter. Grow up, make your own, quit sitting there bad-mouthing every design thatís better than yours in an attempt to gain some sort of fame. If you want to really get out there thereís only one real way, and thatís hard work. Might as well make hard work a curse word for some of you while Iím at itÖ

Path to Salvation
Study. Study study study. Programmers are never made in a night, often times it takes the course of a year or more to become knowledgeable in ones expertise. (Though the more you learn the faster it becomes, you'll know when you get there.) Hard work pays off and hard work will never betray you.

This post has been edited by Lemur: 05 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: 10 Commandments of Web Design

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 10 Commandments of Web Design

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

Yes and No. Nice write up, but you have have forgotten key things. You say "Thou shall not..." but then you don't provide recommendations, so like in another topic, they are empty statements, with no meaning. If you provide recommendations, that would really help enforce what you are saying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

As I said an older thing I made that I came across. 5 minutes on that then.

EDIT - Done

This post has been edited by Lemur: 05 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:30 AM

If I could chose between inheriting Bill Gates fortune and permanently eradicating IE 6 and below I would go with nuking IE without batting an eye.

Priceless.

Great list btw. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:52 AM

View PostLemur, on 6 Dec, 2009 - 03:06 PM, said:

As I said an older thing I made that I came across. 5 minutes on that then.

EDIT - Done

Nice work mate. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:26 PM

Think I should submit it as a tutorial?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

I'm not sure about that. If it was me, I would keep on expanding on it, and then I would submit it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

I'll probably write an entire intro to web and design over Christmas break as well as update this to be a good sized article.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

I think that would that would be cool idea.

Great write-up, by the way. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:17 AM

Nice write up, but, this is probably going to sound like a newb question, but what's a gradient?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

A gradient, or graduated fill, is a color fill that gradually blends from one color to another.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1