How to create a professional database in Access

I'm trying to perfect the database I created for a law firm

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1361 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to create a professional database in Access

Post icon  Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

I need some help with some good suggestions on how to go about this database......one of my top priority is the encryption of this database. I would be grateful for your help. Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to create a professional database in Access

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to create a professional database in Access

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:34 AM

There's no such thing as a professional database in Access. It's a toy. You need a real database to do anything beyond desktop prototyping. There is some built in Access security. It varies depending your version and is kind of hackish.

If you've invested in an Access frontend, the best you can do is put a real database on the backend. Then you can implement security there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 7 Dec, 2009 - 04:34 AM, said:

There's no such thing as a professional database in Access. It's a toy. You need a real database to do anything beyond desktop prototyping. There is some built in Access security. It varies depending your version and is kind of hackish.

If you've invested in an Access frontend, the best you can do is put a real database on the backend. Then you can implement security there.

So what exactly are you proposing here baavgai?
What are you considering to be a "real database"?
Professional - does it mean for a profit, or are you taking it to mean "high quality"?

I'm surprised someone hasn't put the famous "we don't help with homework" on this one.

Honestly, that posting should be a picture that we can just link to and half the posts would drop from the sites total postings count.
That way people aren't getting credit towards their D.I.C. Head score by posting:

Dream.In.Code has a policy by which we prefer to see a good faith effort on your part before providing source code for homework assignments. Please post the code you have written in an effort to resolve the problem, and our members would be happy to provide some guidance. Be sure to include a description of any errors you are encountering as well.

Please post like this:

Thank you for helping us helping you. (totally missworded)

I mean honestly if there is no code in the initial posting, it shouldn't be able to post in the first place. So do I need to write the code for that??? Wait I can't, I don't want to help yall with your homework, so I'll make it vague.

If initial posting = "" then
reject posting

If initial posting does not include [code]
reject posting

So maybe do a spilt on the posting (posting.split(" "))
then sort it using whatever method you prefer. (bubble just for giggles)
if search does not find [code]
NUKE IT!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:44 AM

View Postonlandagain, on 8 Dec, 2009 - 12:51 AM, said:

Professional - does it mean for a profit, or are you taking it to mean "high quality"?

I'm surprised someone hasn't put the famous "we don't help with homework" on this one.

Honestly, that posting should be a picture that we can just link to and half the posts would drop from the sites total postings count.
That way people aren't getting credit towards their D.I.C. Head score by posting:

Dream.In.Code has a policy by which we prefer to see a good faith effort on your part before providing source code for homework assignments. Please post the code you have written in an effort to resolve the problem, and our members would be happy to provide some guidance. Be sure to include a description of any errors you are encountering as well.

Please post like this:

Thank you for helping us helping you. (totally missworded)

I mean honestly if there is no code in the initial posting, it shouldn't be able to post in the first place. So do I need to write the code for that??? Wait I can't, I don't want to help yall with your homework, so I'll make it vague.

If initial posting = "" then
reject posting

If initial posting does not include [code]
reject posting

So maybe do a spilt on the posting (posting.split(" "))
then sort it using whatever method you prefer. (bubble just for giggles)
if search does not find [code]
NUKE IT!!!

Wow....did you just TRY to take out a long standing member of this community with your SECOND post?? Are you a flaming fucktard?? Holy Shit...you must be one of the dumbest people we've had in a while!!!

As for what Baavgai meant by "Professional" would be something like SQL Server, or Oracle. MS Access is NOT a professional, or viable solution for a "professional" database. MS Access has it's sizing limitation and functionality limitations. Thus, it can not be a "Professional" database no matter how you dress it up.

Now I know I don't have an Expert tag like you do, oh wait you don't even have a DIC++ badge, but what would make me a LITTLE qualified to talk about MS Access is that I use it on a daily basis, and though it has it's usefulness, I link DAILY, by way of ODBC connections, to other databases including SQL Server, IBM DB2 Mainframe, and an AS400 server. I also watch MS Access dbs, that are self-contained, crash like there is no tomorrow when they hit a specific size. So unless you are here to offer advice, which was the point of the OP to get advice not code, STFU!

Oh, and I forgot, Access isn't the most secure database to go with, but if you have to go with it KUBIAT, then put a "special" mask on whatever field you need to encrypt, but as you can tell, I agree with Baavgai that you should look into a more stable database like Oracle or SQL Server, and preform the encryption there. Plus, if you are in the US, you will need to encrypt certain things based off of legislations that are in place.

This post has been edited by P4L: 08 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

I don't think this is going to be very beneficial to the community.

*Closed*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

View PostP4L, on 8 Dec, 2009 - 11:44 AM, said:

View Postonlandagain, on 8 Dec, 2009 - 12:51 AM, said:

Wow....did you just TRY to take out a long standing member of this community with your SECOND post?? Are you a flaming fucktard?? Holy Shit...you must be one of the dumbest people we've had in a while!!!

While this thread was just closed, I don't think the poster was attempting to "take out" Baavgai. I think it was an honest question. What I quoted above

was the only thing "aimed" at the esteemed Baavgai, and I don't see any real flaming there. I happen to agree, for the most part, with the rest of the post regarding providing code and homework.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1