Save Function on Web Form

Save information in a web form and come back to it later

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 914 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Save Function on Web Form

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

Im looking to program a web app similar to the closest thing I can think of is the FAFSA Form web app. I want to have basically a big web form that users can enter data into and then save it, then come back later and finish.

Farther down the road I want to be able to store that information into either a flat file or a database, run it through a parsing program or call it from the DB and populate a static HTML page. Ive done similar things like this in the past but the form its self is where Im unsure.

Id rather use php for this but Im open to suggestion as Im fairly novice in all languages at this point.

As always, thank you very much for your help!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Save Function on Web Form

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Save Function on Web Form

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

In all honesty its a very quick and simple job, especially in PHP.

Form:
You will want to check the data for regex matches, valid data, make the data safe for sql etc.

Saving:
You can use a cookie for this, very easily done.

Reloading Data:
When a user comes back, simply get the cookie, do the checks again and then repopulate the form :)

PM me and we might be able to come to an arrangement for getting this done if you like.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

That sounds easy enough, can you point me to a good resource for creating/writing to/calling cookies?

Thanks a lot for the reply!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

There are soooo many tutorials on form creation for php. Many include storing cookies and session data.
Any search on google for : 'php session cookies contact form save' and alike would help. If your having trouble just give me a shout and we cn work something out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

I've been pondering this for a while now, doing some reading and I don't think this is a viable option anymore. With the possibility of a users client having cookies disabled or unknowingly clearing their cookies at any given point would negate this whole process.

I need to be able to store this information for weeks, months possibly. Any other ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

There are always solutions.
If your sure you dont want to use cookies...

1. Let the user register and login to your form/site
2. When logged in the user can fill out the form and at any point "Save" the info.
3. Store the data in a database on the server
4. When the user returns, let them log in using their username and password and re-populate the form letting them carry on.

You wont be storing any extra information on the server either.
You can then run a cronjob or schedual a task to delete any saved incomplete forms after a month or however long. Or you can send an email out to the registered users informing them they have an incomplete form...you could use this as an advertising technique of course.

The process is slightly more complicated but easily do-able in a lil more time.
I've done this many times before. Its a small set of php scripts and standard sql setup.
How does that sound?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1