Community Game Development Project

Officially endorsed by the DIC community

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

169 Replies - 31180 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2009 - 06:15 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Community Game Development Project

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:55 AM

Oh yay. i got too bored so i think we can do something funny together how 'bout creating an 'original' (no FPS' w/ monsters please) game idea via mixing some preset ideas and adding some fun and of course a piece of logic and a piece of us to them. And then if it'll be acceptable we (together again :)) 'll maybe code it and explain it in a tutorial format then we can release it for dreamincode. So this'll be (if you're ok) the dreamincode's unofficial official :) first game!

So what you think?
Post your ideas mine is coming :)

P.S.: Don't write bullshit ideas and enjoy. Hope we'll develop it too :)

Edit: For our respect to oldskool :P it can be a 2D game (yeah because developing a 2D game is easier than a 3D game)

This post has been edited by dec1pher: 29 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Community Game Development Project

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Community Game Development Project

Post icon  Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:53 PM

I'd never think you would ask! I'm way more interested in creating an oldskool game.

Here are answeres to my own questions :)

What platform will it be on?
If it's going to be on Dreamincode as what you said, Java Applet
If it's going to be a reguar EXE, of course, use C++

2D or 3D
For the love of god, 2D!

What genre should it be?
Try some sort of action-type-RPG based around an arcade type game. Throwing all those ideas in a blender comes out with simillar to Sigma Star and ect..

Multiplayer?
If someone coding this can, than an oldskool game with online multiplayer would add much more value.

I know these are generic, but i've gotta start somewhere. Once we get a good idea going, threads like these take off well. But getting started is the most difficult part.

Can you give me some more info please?

PS- (I am SOOO glad you said no FPS! I am sick and tired of people telling me "OMG! OMG! You can make video games? Make a violent FPS with *blah* and *blah* and *blah*")

I love blending valuable game ideas into a smooth pWn-choco-latte with some gameplay crack and that fresh smell you get with fresh brewed coffee that smells like victory.

This is a really good idea, a game to be "dreamincode's unofficial official"? Man! I hope this thread get's pinned when the creative juices get mixed into a kickass smoothie! :)

HOWL! It has too be an oldskool style game! Finally, someone who thinks about game ideas like I do!

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 31 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:47 PM

How Indepth is this going to be? Because I have been gathering ideas for a 2d oldskool opensource game lately. Like with wicked physics, and crazy interaction. Hence the open source part.

But I dont really know how that could work. I was thinking something alon the line of modules/plugins that could be made to the engine, than approved officially and implemented. But wouldnt that cause perfomance issues?

And yeh what genre? Like scifi, medival, modern? Fantasy?

Random ideas: *Rant Begin*
Weapons shouldnt have stats, unless like a magical staff, or a gun(yuck). But swords, glaives should do damage based on weight, characters strenght & amount of usage (which increases with use of heavier wepaons/items). Also it could depend on like the lenght, and how its held.

For items, I think there should be categories for like an area, then sub categories for buildings, water areas, and so on. And then items could be generated kinda randomly for the area.

*Rant End*

More info is needed, I can go on for days, just giving ideas. Plus im currently learning java via CS class and C++ on own. So I could help out. Plus I can do some 3d modeling via Blender3d and I draw pritty well. And I can do nice clean gui, and sleak.

And Dec1pher im reading your C++ game tutorials, wicked nice.

EDIT: The opensource part could work like so..
First an SVN repository is set up, all gameengine and game content is available on there. Anyone can view and download sourcecode/files. Anyone can modify and reupload as another version. People can upload new classes, art, models, documentation, story line, quests, etc... Art would have to be the same style as the original that is decided on, and if 2d or 3d or both. Code would have to be a certain standard, so it is readable and commented where needed. Instructions for implementation would also be required. This way, others can hack away at the code and improve it and find bugs/flaws,etc.. Or use it to make completely new features, etc..

This way anyone can just compile the game as its being developed. This would be the first opensource game, ever. We would make history. :D

This post has been edited by knownasilya: 01 February 2006 - 12:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:36 AM

This way anyone can just compile the game as its being developed. This would be the first opensource game, ever. We would make history. biggrin.gif

along with 2,878 other games.

http://sourceforge.n...php?form_cat=80
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

But this would be made by the community, its not the same. And the community would choose its course.

This post has been edited by knownasilya: 01 February 2006 - 01:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:54 AM

that's great and all, but you need someone to make the final decisions, or a small group of people to make the final decisions.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:55 AM

DIC, the people that want to get involved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:56 AM

so when i say i want a flying bananna as the main character, who says no?

EDIT: using a massive group isn't quite practical. that's like having the house of representatives design a game.

if the house of reprsentatives did design a game, we could expect the game 20 years from now. and when no one likes the flying bananna as the main character, it will take 50 years to change it to a sluggish apple.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:59 AM

Well first of all this is a proposal to get ideas, and see who wants to get involved. So there isnt anything set yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

if you really want to get the ball rolling on this, it would be a good idea to get things like this set in stone. because if i volunteer for the project and someone decides to change the management setup (or some other aspect of the system) a week from now, i may no longer be interested.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:06 AM

I totally agree.
Thats why this topic is here, and your guiding already :D

We should make a list of people that wana get involved. Put me on it.

This post has been edited by knownasilya: 01 February 2006 - 02:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:17 AM

ok guys going nice! So we're just three for now (knownasilya, Wolf and me +[ maybe some of my gfx artist friends and coders ]) here's a pretty simple workflow:

Game:
Type: Action / RPG (if allright just create a list like that and write OK or NO)
Dimensions :P : 2D
Multiplayer: (Maybe i can handle this on windows platform)
binary: EXE (so we'd use C i think)

ok but oh sh*t? No story our game will f*ck-up :( NOOOO! :D because we know how to create a game story like the one in gamedev.net we'll create a story with a simple forum game but how here is the starting point and my quests we'll use false-logic and twisted thinking never make our hero to reach the goal. make him just get a little more closer to goal and you'll see after 1 - 2 weeks we'll have a complete scenario. First of all here's the rules:

- Make the scenario simple but not short;
- You can add mazes and puzzles;
- You can't make hero directly to reach the goal;
- I think sceneario can be funny so add funny things;
- You mustn't step from to a different scene;
- You must follow the last ones quests

Ok we must begin from somewhere so before continuing the story just write some starting point ideas. Here's mine:

Our hero (the name i'll call him Hangul (i know that's a Virtual Keyname :) we'll change later) Hangul kidnapped last night by two soldiers of techno republic. Techno republic and Niarb-on (read from the opposite way :) ) republic are in war for about 600 years. And they kidnap each other's scientists. But there was a wrongly happened kidnap event. Hangul was a simple peasent rather than a scientist. And he started to get education like a techno scientist. So his brain become bigger and bigger. But suddenly something interesting happened Hangul's father was also a simple peasent and he saw his own father in his dream. His father said to him that he must cut the grains before they get unsellable. So here is the subject we must escape from the techno republic's prison and get back to our village then we must create a good machine with our huge brain to cut grains automatically every year based on the weather and grain height :). And then we must return back to techno republic to continue our conviction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:25 AM

Game:
Type: Action / RPG OK
Dimensions :P: 2D OK Isometric or side-scrolling?
Multiplayer: (Maybe i can handle this on windows platform) OK
binary: EXE (so we'd use C i think) OK C++?

Which would be better C or C++ for the oop?

This post has been edited by knownasilya: 01 February 2006 - 06:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

probably c++ since c isn't really even an oop language.

We should make a list of people that wana get involved. Put me on it.

as i said before: WHAT are we getting involved in. people will be more likely to join if they have a solid idea of what direction the project will be taking. just the notion of "we are going to make a game" isn't saying much.

open source does indeed mean open development. open development does not mean anyone and their mother can hop on board and modify the game as they please.

There needs to be a working model of the game controlled by a development team. This working model is the basis on which people will modify the game. Even when the public does modify your source, it doesn't mean it should be implemented in to the actual working model version. the development team should analyze this modification and judge its practicality.

there needs to be a clear distinction from the development team, and the public.

leadership leadership leadership: someone needs to organize this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

See my first post. And also the last paragraph.. please read posts before posting, its just so much more productive. :|

I was thinking something along the line of modules/plugins that could be made to the engine, than approved officially and implemented.

We just need more people to speak up, and while we wait were chucking out ideas. I would nominate you as the coordinator. But that is if you are willing. But I could also volunteer.

I'm also more towards side-scrolling, but thats simply opinion. And C++ as the programming language. We are also waiting for WolfCoder, as he seemed very interested.

I'm usually on aim/msn/yim..give a shout.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »