• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 1464 Views - Last Post: 21 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Google OS

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:12 AM

Does anyone have an idea when google is launching its first OS.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Google OS

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Google OS

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:15 AM

** Moved to corner cubicle **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

They say to check back next year about now and they may have a beta available. Other than that there isn't much I have heard about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 ccubed  Icon User is online

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Wait, they're making another Google OS? Is it going to be as big a ripoff from Mac as it was before? They totally ripped that taskbar off Mac in Google OS 1 - of course, that was what was funny about it. That and the fact they put taskbar icons to google services.

Let me give google a tip, no one wants an OS tied to your little services.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 10 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

Yes, from what I understand it will be a linux based OS (so nothing homemade, just another distro) that will allow for the majority of applications to be written in Javascript, HTML and XML... I am not sure why that is a good thing...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 ccubed  Icon User is online

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

You mean you don't want an OS that works off web technologies? No, you don't say. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

I think Google OS is gonna be a super duper hit. Google applications are the best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

I've seen the demo and I think its use is too limited for any real success with what I have seen. It will have a niche but it won't dominate any markets until they expand the capabilities. I love google but after seeing the demo I was left feeling let down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

The Google OS is directed more towards Netbook users. It lets them get on the web, email, simple document viewing and word processing. It wasnt developed to rival any Linux distro, Mac, or Windows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

Doesn't change the fact that it really will only run web browsing. Netbooks are more versatile than just web browsing. It needs more apps than the Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

Then buy a netbook that doesnt use? People use the OS that suits their needs. If Google OS doesnt fit what you need done then dont buy it or buy a netbook that uses it. For older people or people who dont need many extras other then using it for web browsing and the like, its fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 ccubed  Icon User is online

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

View PostSethro117, on 10 Dec, 2009 - 06:39 PM, said:

Then buy a netbook that doesnt use? People use the OS that suits their needs. If Google OS doesnt fit what you need done then dont buy it or buy a netbook that uses it. For older people or people who dont need many extras other then using it for web browsing and the like, its fine.

I think we're more talking about the fact that it's not really an OS. So, they took a linux kernel and made it a web browser. That's not an OS, that's a web browser with more shit than it needs.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 10 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

Yeah, that's more or less what I am saying. It barely can be considered an OS. It basically is just a browser overlaying a kernel. While it is in fact super minimalist, it is lacking even the most basic features one expects in an OS. Netbooks are light on power but they are not so anemic that all they can run is a browser.

I more than likely won't use it. I find windows 7 to run decent enough on netbooks. Ubuntu NBR also was fitting and functional.

I know what I have seen of Chrome OS was preliminary so maybe the final version will be a little more complete but we will see. I'm interested in seeing how app development comes along. I'm sure that will make or break it in my eyes. Since it seems like anything that will run in a browser will run on it I expect that will happen at a good pace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

View Postccubed, on 10 Dec, 2009 - 11:10 AM, said:

Wait, they're making another Google OS? Is it going to be as big a ripoff from Mac as it was before? They totally ripped that taskbar off Mac in Google OS 1 - of course, that was what was funny about it. That and the fact they put taskbar icons to google services.

Let me give google a tip, no one wants an OS tied to your little services.

UI != 'the whole OS' but I shouldn't have to point that out =/.

The concept is cloud computing. This is more than likely how most people will be using a computer in the future anyway. We're programmers, we obviously want more to our computer than a web browser that runs apps. What does my grandma do on her computer? What does your sister? What does your boss? They check email, go on facebook, play farmville, they once-in-a-while need to write up some reports for school so they can use one of the apps already online for this... what do they need?

The only REAL drawback to Chromium is what happens when the user is disconnected. The OS does what MOST people want with their computers, without running a buttload of services in the background, file indexing, virus scanners, constant security updates, one thing breaks and everything breaks.

Physical media has been on death row for a while. Welcome to the cloud.

I don't expect to use the OS when it comes out, but they have a really good market appeal. And their way of making money is advertisements, so yes this will be a way to force their market onto us, HOWEVER, their advertisements aren't the vomit-inducing "if you're epileptic we may have a seizure for you" blinking ads from the 90s. Their advertisement model is (still debatable) outmoded by the way facebook advertises.

This post has been edited by 0xFF: 12 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 ccubed  Icon User is online

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

They also tried to make an OS that didn't use files. Needless to say, it didn't go over so well. Cloud computing has just as many problems as physical media has. Neither one is an end all solution.

I also like my physical media, so let me choose when and if I want to get rid of it.

As for the mac ripoff comment, what makes you assume I meant the whole OS? I was talking about the taskbar - which happens to be exactly what I mentioned.

As well, this is NOT a good OS for your average person. Like you said, one thing breaks, it all breaks. Most people are going to break that 'one thing.' At least with windows, mac, linux ,etc, if one thing breaks, you only have one less working part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +