• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2182 Views - Last Post: 21 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Google OS

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

View Postccubed, on 12 Dec, 2009 - 07:04 PM, said:

They also tried to make an OS that didn't use files. Needless to say, it didn't go over so well. Cloud computing has just as many problems as physical media has. Neither one is an end all solution.

I also like my physical media, so let me choose when and if I want to get rid of it.

As for the mac ripoff comment, what makes you assume I meant the whole OS? I was talking about the taskbar - which happens to be exactly what I mentioned.

As well, this is NOT a good OS for your average person. Like you said, one thing breaks, it all breaks. Most people are going to break that 'one thing.' At least with windows, mac, linux ,etc, if one thing breaks, you only have one less working part.

I don't think we will have an all-in-one solution for a long while. But, I think you're over-estimating the average person's use of a computer and under-estimating emergent technologies that "google apps" is trying to get flying. I do like the idea of 'sandboxing' everything. I don't see how the average user will break the OS, as all they will be doing is surfing the web and using processes in these sandboxes. I suppose if the MCP gets all uppity because of bugs they may have lots of problems, but generally when I use Chrome, one tab can go kaput on me and the rest of it works fine. The whole thing crashes when my OS can't deal with it.

As for the mac ripoff comment, you're right, I take back what I said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

@0xFF - I think you're underestimating the average users ability to break something. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

Backtracking just a little bit here but (don't hold me to this) didn't google sue microsoft for not giving them the source code to one of their OS's (95 i think? maybe) on the basis that they are pretty much running a monopoly on the market when their not. I also heard somewhere that it's going to be mostly web based if not almost entirely (word processing etc all run over the internet) so no internet = no work can be done.

Combining an early windows system with a linux system o.o that would be killer but adding in that you MUST use the internet is a killer.

that is providing what i've heard is true... although you know how things tend to get passed around >.>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +