4 Replies - 855 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2009 - 08:30 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Please review this site

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

I made this website for a friend 's business.
What do you think ?

http://www.slagerij-...s.be/index.html

thnx
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please review this site

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please review this site

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

Nice layout,

Couple things... One, get the header right to the top of the page. Having like a 60px padding like it is now just makes it look off. Also, change the color of your menu hover, yellow does not go with the rest of the site. Same with the text in the footer.

I do like the drop shadow behind the gentlemen on the home page :D, however the text in the header looks to be a little stretched... Other than that nice work :D

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:14 AM

Be warned, this post isn't for the feint of heart.

The Background

Let's start with the background. Subtle gradients are best, ones that are extremely visible in contrast to the foreground are a bad idea. Backgrounds are meant to draw attention to the foreground, not away from it.

The Banner

The Logo is blurry and hard to read
Get a higher resolution version of the logo and ditch the purple border.

The Gradient is unnecessary
Gradients should be used very seldomly and even then with care. A solid color would do much more good for it.

The images need to be blended
A few pixels of feathering doesn't constitute as blending, images should flow smoothly from one to another, use the clone stamp at low flow/opacity. Also, get rid of the shadow to the left.

The Menu

The Gradient is unnecessary
A solid color would work much better and give more definition to the links.

The font should be changed
For menu items a font such as arial or another sans-serif/mono-spaced (Lucida) font are the best.

The Bar

Image is unnecessary
Use a solid color instead

Photoshop layer effects are a sin
Bevel, Drop Shadow, Glow, and other layer effects are best left unused. Clean font is much bolder and easier on the eyes.

The Main Image

You need a new picture of your friend
I'm sorry but this picture looks awkward and probably isn't helping, get a more natural looking picture. Lose the shadow as well.

Photoshop the pink glow
The glow on the glass meat display needs to be fixed, it creates a bad effect that turns off a customers appetite, I would try and tone down the magenta levels in the area. (Do some research into color theory if you must know why, it's too long to post here)

Overall

Color Theme needs work
Stick with 2 colors maximum. For you pick a darker red and a slightly vibrant orange, take a look into Adobe Kuler if you get a chance, pick a theme from fall or made after meats or something similar to the subject matter. I would recommend this theme, Firenze:
http://www.kuler.ado.../#themeID/24198

Take a look around there.

Conclusion

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just giving you an honest opinion because I believe if all you ever hear is it's a nice design or I like it nothing ever gets accomplished and you can never improve at all. Keep it up, you seem to have a working concept of CSS design which is an extremely good thing to have going for you.

Keep working at it, it takes years to become good at web design, just keep trying and it'll come with time.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

Most of the times you think you are doing great but now you see there is a lot of room for improvement (something you don't see yourself mostly)!
That's why i appreciate your comments!

Thnx a lot
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:30 AM

No problem. It takes a lot of time and hard work to get to be an amazing designer/web coder, it took me close to 5-6 years to get to the point I'm at now and a lot of things still surprise me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1