Page 1 of 1

Screen Manager with XNA - Part 2 Different Screens

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

This is part two of a two part tutorial about creating screen management system with XNA. This tutorial is generic enough to work in both XNA 3.0 and XNA 3.1 so you can use either one of them for the tutorial. This tutorial uses some common object-oriented programming principles. If you do not have an understanding of object-oriented programming you may have a hard time understanding parts of this tutorial.

To get started you will want to open your project from the previous tutorial I wrote. If you haven't completed that tutorial go now and read it. You can find it at this link: http://www.dreaminco...topic143585.htm

Now that you have the tutorial loaded you are ready to start. To handle the different screens in the game what I am going to do is to create an abstract base class called GameScreen that other screens in your game will inherit from. If you are unsure what an abstract class is, an abstract class is a class that you must inherit from. Any methods, properties, fields, indexers, etc that belong to the abstract class can be used in the inherited class. The inherited class can use any protected or public items of an abstract class but not private. You can also use the abstract keyword inside the abstract class to define properties and methods that must be implemented in the base class. You can not create an instance of an abstract class. An object of an abstract class however can be assigned objects of derived classes. This is an object-oriented principle called polymorphism. Polymorphism is the ability of a base class to act as an inherited class at run time. This is one of the key three principles of object-oriented programming: Encapsulation, Inheritance, and Polymorphism. Polymorphism is probably the hardest to understand. I hope that showing you an example of polymorphism will help you understand the principle better.

I also decided to have both of the screens have a background image. You can select the two images below or you can find two of your own. Add the two images to the Content folder by right clicking it and selecting Add and then Existing Item. Select your two images and they will be added to the Content folder and you can load them using the Content.Load method.

Attached Image
Attached Image

What you will want to do next is add a new game component to the project. Right click your project in the solution explorer, select Add, and then select New Item. Make sure that the XNA Game Studio node is selected on the left and choose Game Component. Name this Game Component GameScreen. I will explain the code after you have read it.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage;

namespace ScreenManager
{
	public abstract class GameScreen :
 	  Microsoft.Xna.Framework.DrawableGameComponent
	{
		List<GameComponent> components = new List<GameComponent>();
		protected Game game;
		protected SpriteBatch spriteBatch;

public List<GameComponent> Components
		{
			get { return components; }
		}

public GameScreen(Game game, SpriteBatch spriteBatch)
			: base(game)
		{
			this.game = game;
			this.spriteBatch = spriteBatch;
		}

public override void Initialize()
		{
			base.Initialize();
		}

public override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
		{
			base.Update(gameTime);
			foreach (GameComponent component in components)
				if (component.Enabled == true)
					component.Update(gameTime);
		}

public override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
		{
			base.Draw(gameTime);
				if (component is DrawableGameComponent && 
					((DrawableGameComponent) component).Visible)
					((DrawableGameComponent) component).Draw(gameTime);
		}

public virtual void Show()
		{
			this.Visible = true;
			this.Enabled = true;
			{
				component.Enabled = true;
				if (component is DrawableGameComponent)
					((DrawableGameComponent)component).Visible = true;
			}
		}

public virtual void Hide()
		{
			this.Visible = false;
			this.Enabled = false;
			{
				component.Enabled = false;
				if (component is DrawableGameComponent)
					((DrawableGameComponent)component).Visible = false;
			}
		}

}
}

The first thing that you will see is that between public and class there is the keyword abstract. This makes this an abstract class that you can not create an object with. In order to use it you must inherit from it. Since your game screens will have visual components I inherited the class from DrawableGameComponent instead of just GameComponent. There are three fields in this class: components, game, and spriteBatch. The first one, components, is a List<GameComponent> that will hold any child components of the screen. game is an object of type Game and will hold the current Game object. Finally, spriteBatch is a SpriteBatch object that you will be able to use to draw in your inherited classes. There is also a get only property, Components, that you can use in child classes and classes that use your screen to get the list of components of your screen.

The constructor of the class requires two parameters: a Game object, game, and a SpriteBatch object, spriteBatch. Since this is a game component there is also a call to the constructor of the base class with base(game). The constructor then sets the game and spriteBatch fields with the parameters passed in to the constructor.

In the override of the Update method I have a foreach loop that will loop through all of the game components in the components field. Inside this loop I check to see if the Enabled property of the current component is true. If it is I call the Update method of that component passing in gameTime.

In the override of the Draw method there is a foreach loop that will loop through all of the game components in the components field. This is an example of polymorphism in action. When the game is running you don't know if the component is a DrawableGameComponent or a GameComponent. In C# you can use the is keyword to text if an object belongs to a class. I check to see if component is a DrawableGameComponent. You might think that C# will through an error in the and part of the condition. It will not. C# is smart enough to know that if the first part is false there is no need to check the second part. In the second part in paratheneses I cast component to a DrawableGameComponent and check the Visible property of component. This is the syntax you need to use when you are using polymorphism of a inherited class of a base class that implements fields, properties, methods, etc that are not in the base class. If this is a DrawableGameComponent and the Visible propery is true I call the draw method, again casting it, of component.
Next there is a virtual method called Show. Virtual methods are methods that you can override in inherited classes to change their behavior. This method will be used to set the component to be enabled and visible. It sets the Enable and Visible properties to true so the component will be updated and drawn. Then in a foreach loop I loop through all of the game components and set their Enabled property to true. Then, after checking if this component is a DrawableGameComponent, I set the Visible property to true.
There is another virtual method called Hide. This method works in the opposite method of Show. It sets the Enable and Visible properties to false so the component will not be updated or drawn. Again in a foreach loop I loop through all of the game components. If they are DrawableGameComponents I set their Visible property to false.
Now I will create a new class that inherits from GameScreen that will act as the main menu for the game so the player can choose to play the game or exit the game. To do this right click your project in the solution explorer and then select Add and then Class. Name this class StartScreen. I will again explain the code after you have read it.
using System;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;

namespace ScreenManager
{
	class StartScreen : GameScreen
	{
		MenuComponent menuComponent;
		Texture2D image;
		Rectangle imageRectangle;

public int SelectedIndex
		{
			get { return menuComponent.SelectedIndex; }
			set { menuComponent.SelectedIndex = value; }
		}

public StartScreen(Game game, 
		SpriteBatch spriteBatch, 
		SpriteFont spriteFont, 
		Texture2D image)
			: base(game, spriteBatch)
		{
			string[] menuItems = { "Start Game", "End Game" };
			menuComponent = new MenuComponent(game,
				spriteBatch,
				spriteFont,
				menuItems);
			Components.Add(menuComponent);
			this.image = image;
			imageRectangle = new Rectangle(
				Game.window.ClientBounds.Width,
				Game.window.ClientBounds.Height);
		}

{
			base.Update(gameTime);
		}

{
			spriteBatch.Draw(image, imageRectangle, Color.White);
			base.Draw(gameTime);
		}
	}
}

This class uses parts of the XNA framework so there are using statements for the framework and the Graphics classes. This class inherits from GameScreen so it has all of the functionality of the GameScreen class and it can override parts of it that it wants to act differently than the base class.

The class will handle the menu for the game so there is a MenuCompontent field. Because I will have a background image I have a Texture2D field called image and a Rectangle field called imageRectangle. I will be using this rectangle to have the image fill the entire game window. The game will be acting on the player's menu choice so there is a property called SelectedIndex that just gets and sets the SelectedIndex property of the MenuComponent.

The constructor for this class takes four parameters: a Game object, a SpriteBatch object, a SpriteFont object and a Texture2D. The constructor also calls the constructor of the base class that requires a Game object and a SpriteBatch object. The constructor creates a new menu with two options: Start Game and End Game. It then adds the menu to the list of components for the component. It then sets the image field to be the image being passed in. It then creates a rectangle that will fill the entire window. There is a property of the GameComponent class called Game that gets the Game object associated with the component. The Game object has a property Window that holds information about the window. I used the Width and Height properties of the ClientBounds property to get the width and height of the window. I created a rectangle with X and Y values of 0, the upper left hand corner of the window and with the width and height of the window. You will see why when I get to the Draw method.

There is an override of the Update method so that the menu will update itself. There is also an overload of the Draw method. The order of rendering in 2D is important. If you want objects to appear above other objects you need to draw them last. That is why I call the Draw method of the SpriteBatch object before the call to base.Draw. When base.Draw is called all child components, if they are visible, are drawn. So, if you draw the image after the call to base.Draw the image will be drawn over top of the menu and it won't be seen. The overload of the draw method that I used takes three parameters: the Texture2D to draw, the destination Rectangle, and the tint color. Because of the way I created the rectangle in the constructor using the height and width of the window it will fill the window.

I am going to add a second screen to the game. This one is where the game will take place. You can modify this screen to work like your game. You can add a ContentManager object for instance to load in your content like a regular game and work on everything in that screen. Right click your project and add a new class called ActionScreen. This is the code for that screen.

using System;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;

namespace ScreenManager
{
	class ActionScreen : GameScreen
	{
		KeyboardState keyboardState;
		Texture2D image;
		Rectangle imageRectangle;

public ActionScreen(Game game, SpriteBatch spriteBatch, Texture2D image)
			: base(game, spriteBatch)
		{
			this.image = image;
			imageRectangle = new Rectangle(
				Game.window.ClientBounds.Width,
				Game.window.ClientBounds.Height);
		}

{
			base.Update(gameTime);

keyboardState = Keyboard.GetState();

if (keyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.Escape))
				game.Exit();
		}

{
			spriteBatch.Draw(image, imageRectangle, Color.White);
			base.Draw(gameTime);
		}
	}
}

There are using statements for the XNA framework, the Graphics classes, and the Input classes. The reason for the Input classes is that I want the game to be able to exit if the player presses the escape key while the action screen is the current screen. This isn't the best behavior for your game but it will work for this sample. This class also inherits from GameScreen. There is a KeyboardState field to hold the state of the keyboard, a Texture2D field for the background image to draw and a Rectangle field to hold the rectangle for the window.

The constructor for this class takes three parameters: a Game object, a SpriteBatch object, and a Texture2D. Just like the constructor for the StartScreen class this class calls the constructor of the base class passing the Game and SpriteBatch objects. The constructor just sets the image field and creates a rectangle the size of the window like in the StartScreen class.

In the Update method, after the call to base.Update, I get the state of the keyboard. I then check to see if the Escape key is down. If it is I exit the game calling the Exit method of the Game object. Like I mentioned earlier this isn't good practice but it will be okay for this tutorial. You will want to do something different in your own games. The Draw method draws the image for the background and then calls base.Draw to draw any child components, even there are none it is a good habit to have.

It is time to implement these screens into the game. The first thing you can do is replace the MenuComponent field with the following fields.

KeyboardState keyboardState;
KeyboardState oldKeyboardState;

GameScreen activeScreen;
StartScreen startScreen;
ActionScreen actionScreen;

The first two fields, keyboardState and oldKeyboardState, will hold the current and last states of the keyboard. I will use these to check if the player has selected a menu item when the StartScreen is the active screen. The third field is activeScreen and it is of type GameScreen. Like I mentioned at the start of the tutorial I will be using polymorphism for handling the different screens. In this case activeScreen will be set to either startScreen or actionScreen, which are the objects of type StartScreen and ActionScreen respectively. Because both of these types inherit from GameScreen at run time you can assign them to GameScreen and when you call any methods that have been overriden the methods of the appropriate class will be called. I do not have to cast them because the methods that I am using all belong to the base class GameScreen.

In the LoadContent method I will create the new screens and add them to the list of components of the game. By adding them to the list of components when the game runs the Update and Draw method of the components will be called automatically by XNA which in the end simplifies the game and makes all of this work worth while. I will explain the code further after you have read it.

protected override void LoadContent()
{
	spriteBatch = new SpriteBatch(GraphicsDevice);

startScreen = new StartScreen(
		this,
		spriteBatch,
		Content.Load<SpriteFont>("menufont"),
		Content.Load<Texture2D>("alienmetal"));
	Components.Add(startScreen);
	startScreen.Hide();

actionScreen = new ActionScreen(
		this,
		spriteBatch,
		Content.Load<Texture2D>("greenmetal"));
	Components.Add(actionScreen);
	actionScreen.Hide();

activeScreen = startScreen;
	activeScreen.Show();
}

The code first creates a new instance of the StartScreen class passing in: this which is the current Game object, spriteBatch which is the SpriteBatch object for the game, the call to Content.Load loads in the font added to the game in the last tutorial, and it loads in the one image that I added to the game called alienmetal. If you used a different image you will have to substitute its asset name with alientmetal. The startScreen field is then added to the list of components for the game and then the Hide method is called to hide the screen. You might be screaming that there was no Hide method in the StartScreen class. There didn't have to be. Because the parent class had a public method Hide, the derived class StartScreen has access to that method and because it is public it can be called outside of the class.

I do something very similar for creating the ActionScreen object. It just required three parameters. I passed in this, the spriteBatch field, and the return of Content.Load with the asset name greenmetal. Again, if you used different assets you will need to use the appropriate asset name. The ActionScreen object is added to the list of components of the game and I call the Hide method as well. This is where polymorphism comes into play again. The field activeScreen is of type GameScreen but since StartScreen inherits from GameScreen I can assign startScreen to activeScreen. I then call the Show method of activeScreen. When you do this C# will see of what type activeScreen is and then it will go to that type and see if there is a method in that class. If there isn't a method that matches it then checks the parent class. If the parent class doesn't have that method it checks to see if that class has a parent class and if it does it will check that class and so on. If no method is found at compile time you will get an error, the program will not build.

That just leaves handling the input to move between screens. That will be done in the Update method. Just like in the MenuComponent I want to check if the key was down in the last frame and is up in the current frame. It is a very helpful method so I copied the CheckKey method from the MenuComponent class. This is the code for the Update and CheckKey methods.

protected override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
{
	keyboardState = Keyboard.GetState();
	if (GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One).Buttons.Back == ButtonState.Pressed)
		this.Exit();

if (activeScreen == startScreen)
	{
		if (CheckKey(Keys.Enter))
		{
			if (startScreen.SelectedIndex == 0)
			{
				activeScreen.Hide();
				activeScreen = actionScreen;
				activeScreen.Show();
			}
			if (startScreen.SelectedIndex == 1)
			{
				this.Exit();
			}
		}
	}
	base.Update(gameTime);
	oldKeyboardState = keyboardState;
}

private bool CheckKey(Keys theKey)
{
	return keyboardState.IsKeyUp(theKey) &&
		oldKeyboardState.IsKeyDown(theKey);
}

What I did was at the start of the Update method was get the state of the keyboard using the GetState method. I kept in the if statement that checks to see if the back button on the XBOX 360 controller was pressed. There is then an if statement that checks to see if activeScreen is equal to startScreen. This checks to see if the instances are the same, not if the objects are equal. Inside that if statement I check to see if the enter key has been pressed just once. Inside that if statement there are two other if statements. The first one checks to see if the SelectedIndex of startScreen is 0, which is the first menu item. If that is true I call the Hide method of activeScreen to hide the screen and its components. I then set activeScreen to actionScreen and then call the Show method of active screen. That effectively changes the game to use actionScreen as the current screen instead of startScreen. In the next if statement I check to see if the SelectedIndex property of startScreen is 1, which is the second menu entry. If it is I call the Exit method of Game class to exit the game. After the call to base.Update I set the oldKeyboardState field to the keyboardState field. The last method CheckKey is the same as the CheckKey method from the previous tutorial.

This is a simple way to implement screen management in your games to separate the logic of the screens into separate classes. I will write two more tutorials in this series. The next one will be about creating a pop up screen that the player can choose between yes or no answers. The other one will be about implementing a simple text box using this concept.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Screen Manager with XNA - Part 2

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

That's awesome i finaly created a full menu :D thanx a lot sixOfEleven
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_Emmanuel*

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

i understood until you declared MenuComponents menuComponents, where did MenuComponents come from?
Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#4 Guest_Emmanuel*

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

View PostEmmanuel, on 09 June 2010 - 02:35 PM, said:

i understood until you declared MenuComponents menuComponents, where did MenuComponents come from?
Thanks

i see it sorry...i'm not feeling great
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#5 Guest_Emmanuel*

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

View PostEmmanuel, on 09 June 2010 - 02:35 PM, said:

Thanks

i see it sorry...i'm not feeling great
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Garbage Collector

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

From this point on:

It is time to implement these screens into the game. The first thing you can do is replace the
MenuComponent field with the following fields.

You lost me. What class are you writing this code in?

Thank you. Wonderful tutorial.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

Those are in the Game1 class. Sorry, wasn't very clear there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Guest_D3mono1d*

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

Nice tutorial man! Really helpful for me :) Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for these tutorials, they have been really helpful for me but I'm having a problem running the game when the start button is pressed. There is a lot to explain so I have made a seperate post if you could give me any advice that would be much appreciated!

View PostMacNeil88, on 11 March 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Thanks for these tutorials, they have been really helpful for me but I'm having a problem running the game when the start button is pressed. There is a lot to explain so I have made a seperate post if you could give me any advice that would be much appreciated!

forgot the link! http://www.dreaminco...ifferent-class/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

PLease can you tell how to do this for Windows Phone. Very good tutorial. Easy to understand but how to do this for Windows Phone. I tried in Windows phone everything works fine but only that keyboard is not compatible with Windows Phone. Windows uses touchscreen so please can you tell how to touchscreen to select menu ooption.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hello guys.

I'm trying to use this tutorial to create nice menu for my game, but I have a problem with model projection.
        {
            //spriteBatch.Draw(graphics, imageRectangle, Color.White);
            Game1.graphics.GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.CornflowerBlue);
            Matrix view = Matrix.CreateLookAt( new Vector3(0, 300, 2000),
                                               new Vector3(0, 0, 0),
                                               Vector3.Up);
            Matrix projection = Matrix.CreatePerspectiveFieldOfView(
            MathHelper.ToRadians(45), Game1.graphics.GraphicsDevice.Viewport.AspectRatio,
            0.1f, 10000.0f);

foreach (ObjectModel model in models)
            {
                model.Draw(view, projection);
            } 
            base.Draw(gameTime);
        }

This is ActionScreen method and local is class variable. I can't access models variable using base.game.models.
ObjectModel is my own class where I store model's properties.
Can anyone help me to solve this problem?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1