is it possible to prevent?

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 2592 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2006 - 03:17 PM Rate Topic: -----

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Opensource and cheats,

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

Ok I have just been playing with a commercial game, and it just get on my nerves, when one or two little retards spoil the game for everyone.
And I started to think about it: if a commercial - closed source- game can become such a hell, what is the situation with open source ones? It seems like a childplay to create a dirty client. Are there common practices to circumvent it - preferably without closed source extensions?
I know its a bit vague, so here are two problems:
- single player game, played at the client's comp: is it possible to assure the validity of the highscore that is sent back to the server?
- multiplayer game, played on a server: is it possible to filter cheater (modified) clients?
Every opinion is welcomed, but please write more about technical practices, then about bad online experiences and personal annoyances, ty.

*edit: some spelling...

This post has been edited by 1lacca: 29 June 2006 - 06:02 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Opensource and cheats,

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Opensource and cheats,

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:29 AM

Well if the game is opensource, then people that love the game will contribute to the game and patch/fix holes and bugs that are being taken advantage of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:42 AM

Its true for exploits, but as an example I am not sure if you can guarantee that a submitted highscore is valid, or its just a fake score, that is sent via the game's protocol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:08 AM

OF course you cant, thats why its still around and its true for opensource, and none opensource. I think plenty of people are working on it. Maybe encrypting the data before its sent, so when the 'hacker' intercepts it, he isnt really sure what to do, it would just ad another step and wead out the lazyer 'hacker'.

This post has been edited by knownasilya: 04 February 2006 - 04:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:36 AM

I think, OpenSource is the best solution for gaming. do we have to buy the fun? for cheating and hacking the game, do you have a pride when you hacking an OpenSource game? nope everybody can do a modification to the game for better gameplay or gamefix. but for hacking... i thing it's better to say it's learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:39 AM

Eliminating cheating, especially for opensource games, is impossible for the very reason why DRM doesn't work.

The point 1lacca is trying to make is that since OpenSource games are available to anyone knowing how to program, that they then can make a dirty client and that therefore you can't really trust what they're doing. Not whether or not Opensource games are good for the end user's pocketbook.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• rÍvant.toujours
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

View Posthotsnoj, on 28 Jun, 2006 - 09:31 AM, said:

Eliminating cheating, especially for opensource games, is impossible for the very reason why DRM doesn't work.

That article was awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1