6 Replies - 725 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi this is Ross Petersen

Post icon  Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:58 PM

:P

Hi folks

I have been programming for a few years now.

I first started a few years ago because I was appointed as an admin support person for a payroll/personnel project team for the Tasmanian State Government. Anyway, I was involved with looking after the finances etc for the project and it soon became obvious that the financial system that the Department looking after our finances (such as payments, receipts etc) did not meet our information requirements. So, I had to design an Access DB to look after that side of things. This was very successful.

A few years later, I left work because my wife had become very ill (kidney failure) but by that stage I was closely involved with a christian organisation by the name of Fusion Australia doing DB work.

About a year ago, I was asked by a nearby office of Fusion Australia to develop a system that would enable the matching up of people with personal needs with volunteers that are able to meet those needs. The kind of asistance the Clients need are such things as lawn mowing, house cleaning, shopping etc. This entailed having various tables to store info relating to availability of the Clients & Volunteers etc.

So, I have been working on that for awhile (decided on a Access DB because it was just for that office). However, just recently I was asked to consider extending it so it could be used by all the offices in Australia. They said that they would want to have it on their intranet with SQL Server as the DBMS.

So, I thought about it a bit, and came to the conclusion that a .NET distributed app would be the way to go.

In terms of my skills, I have a good set of skills for Access/Office/VBA. In terms of .NET, I have had a go at a few sample apps for training purposes (for myself) & am getting some understanding about this area, although I have a way to go. As far as SQL Server is concerned, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do have some experience with it.

So, if anybody has any questions about Access/Office/VBA chances are I can probably help. SQL Server, will try to help, but am not an expert. .NET - I dont think I can help at the moment, but perhaps later on.

So, that is my introduction.

Kind regards

Ross petersen

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi this is Ross Petersen

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi this is Ross Petersen

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:36 AM

Welcome to <dic> ross!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:55 AM

Welcome to dream in code! Glad to have you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Got Bug?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

Welcome to </dic> Ross! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code Ross!! My name is Mark and I’m one of the resident Team Members here on DIC. If you have any community related questions feel free to ask any of us. DIC is the perfect place for new comers to expand their knowledge about Programming and Web Development. I know I’ve learned a lot from this place and I’m sure you will too!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:38 AM

Welcome to the site :)

VBA - that's what I'm currently doing in lessons at school. I never realised how flexible it was!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to Dream.in.code!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -