5 Replies - 1721 Views - Last Post: 23 December 2009 - 06:44 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Problem with hidding scrollbar

Post icon  Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

I hope someone can help this n00b.

I've added some content within a div and the content has overflowed and created a scroll bar (which I hate to see). I've tried playing with the CSS with the height and overflow but to no avail.

The site is inflasiangirls.com

Hopefully someone can help me solve this issue without distorting the rest of the layout within the site

Thanks in advance for your help
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Problem with hidding scrollbar

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Problem with hidding scrollbar

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Usually it helps to post the code, but you're lucky I have Firebug :)

Change the line of code where you declare the div with the scroll-bar to this:

<div class="jFlowSlideContainer" style="overflow: wrap; position: relative; width: 1000px; height: 369px; float: left;">

Just make sure that you don't write any more in there, because the text will simply be cut of if it overflows.

And a suggestion I can't leave you without: Take away the music, and if you absolutely MUST have it, don't let it play by default. There is nothing more annoying and possibly embarrassing for the user if he would open that at work for example. It might be my personal opinion, but background music and websites don't belong together.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

View PostCbeppe, on 18 Dec, 2009 - 03:05 PM, said:

Usually it helps to post the code, but you're lucky I have Firebug :)

Change the line of code where you declare the div with the scroll-bar to this:

<div class="jFlowSlideContainer" style="overflow: wrap; position: relative; width: 1000px; height: 369px; float: left;">

Just make sure that you don't write any more in there, because the text will simply be cut of if it overflows.

And a suggestion I can't leave you without: Take away the music, and if you absolutely MUST have it, don't let it play by default. There is nothing more annoying and possibly embarrassing for the user if he would open that at work for example. It might be my personal opinion, but background music and websites don't belong together.

Hey Cbeppe, thanks for your reply to my problem and sorry for leaving out the code. Problem was I had no idea which code to post and hoped someone had Firebug.

Here is my problem. I can't find that code in my html anywhere. Is that part of my CSS .mainConent? When I look at Firebug that code is associated to
element.style {
float:left;
height:369px;
overflow-x:auto;
overflow-y:auto;
position:relative;
width:1000px;
}

When I went into Dreamweaver looking for that css style I couldn't find it. Sorry for being the biggest n00b on the planet but I'm really new at this and I know its clearly obvious!

P.s I know about the music and against my strongest advice it was still ignored and they requested it stay on..oh well not my site

Thanks again for your help friend and Merry xmas!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

I would try searching through your CSS file for ".jFlowSlideContainer" without quotes. Read everything inside that class bracket and delete everything talking about the "Overflow" command. Then add the following line:

overflow:wrap;

and that should be it. If you need any more help, just post your entire CSS file here, and I'll change it for you. Try this first though, I really believe it will work because it did when I tried it in Firebug.

Don't worry about being a noob, we're all noobs at something ;)
About the music, well you said it, it's their choice and the customer is always right, even when they have no clue what they are talking about.

Merry Christmas to you too!
Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hey Cbeppe

I've done as you instructed and seems that the amount of content forces the scrollbar. Pooper. I guess the only way would be to increase the height of the Div. Or just leave it as it is; which is what I'm thinking.

I have one more question for you if you would be kind to answer.

This being an "Accordion" style website, how would I link from the body to my "contact" section? The linking in this website has been a little more challenging than the norm.

Thanks again for your help :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:44 AM

Yes, I see what you mean. I only looked at the main page the first time, and the content wasn't that much, so the wrap wasn't a problem. Sorry about that. I would try making the "mainContent" height "auto" and let that push the footer down. That way, it might ruin the design a little, but you would at least have a choice between that and the scroll-bar.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the "Accordion" style of it. I have never done anything like it. It's very stylish, but I wouldn't know how to help you. Sorry.

I hope you make it work with the div, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1