• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

88 Replies - 7255 Views - Last Post: 30 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Apple Gaming Console?

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

What do you guys think about a possible Apple Console? The rumours are everywhere, and I think they could really do some good with that. Imagine a console with a type of app store, but more like a mini-game store, with thousands of mini games. They did fail one time in the 90's. But it probably would cost a fortune just like most overpriced and over hype apple products. :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Apple Gaming Console?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Apple Gaming Console?

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

As a total Apple fanboy, I will have to say I hope they stay away from gaming.

For a few reasons:

1) Apple as a company knows nothing of that business, so that would entail them having to open an entire new department dedicated to gaming and games. R&D, Testing, Marketing, Etc.. With that said I would be afraid that (like any other company) in doing this their other departments and company would suffer set backs and even later release dates. One person can affect an entire team. Now imagine that on a much larger scale, one department could bring down a lot more.

2) Apple has no reason to develop a console. In essence they already have ands it fits in your pocket. iPod touch. They aren't going to recreate the wheel.

3)Apple is the kind of company that likes compatibility, and if they have a console they would want those games to be able to cross-platorms, such as a "console game" working on a macbook. (You get the idea) Well, that will never happen because we all know Apples aren't meant for gaming.

Also, Apple as a company would much rather invest a department and developing into a Apple T.V. I once heard about that, now that is something I can get behind. (Not talking about Apple TV thats out now) I once heard that they working on an actual TV with built in OS that will be able to eliminate the cable companies. (i.e comcast, AT&T) but who knows....

These are just my thoughts ladies and gents, so please be gentle. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

I really hope Apple doesn't get into the console market. Xbox and PS3 fanboys are bad enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

I am an Xbox fanboy, although competition is healthy and helps the market grow. I have nothing against Apple, I just prefer dedicated corporations for my gaming needs. What would make this Apple console stand out in the market anyway (besides a custom OS) ?

However I don't think Apple has the resources to tap into another enormous cut-throat market.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

View PostTheaegd, on 18 Dec, 2009 - 07:27 PM, said:

What do you guys think about a possible Apple Console? The rumours are everywhere, and I think they could really do some good with that. Imagine a console with a type of app store, but more like a mini-game store, with thousands of mini games.

So basically you are describing Xbox Live Arcade?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

I think it could be possible. People said the same thing about MS when they introduced the xbox, yet look at them today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

View PostSethro117, on 18 Dec, 2009 - 10:13 PM, said:

I think it could be possible. People said the same thing about MS when they introduced the xbox, yet look at them today.

Yes but Microsoft also spent a lot of money to get the Xbox to where it is today. Does Apple really care about gaming anyways? Who would want to buy a $1000+ console?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

No one. That's why the video game market crashed in the eighties.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Using up all your 1's and 0's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

View PostTom9729, on 18 Dec, 2009 - 08:27 PM, said:

View PostSethro117, on 18 Dec, 2009 - 10:13 PM, said:

Yes but Microsoft also spent a lot of money to get the Xbox to where it is today. Does Apple really care about gaming anyways? Who would want to buy a $1000+ console?

Remember what Steve Ballmer said about the iPhone when it was first introduced? It was pretty much that.

Apple is not a stupid company, far from it. They may not be directly in that race at the moment, but just because they aren't it doesn't mean they don't know what console gamers are looking for. I mean come on they now have not only a near monopoly on music playing devices, but also one of the most popular phones in the world with the largest, BY FAR, Application store for that phone. Seriously, if Apple is really looking into this, you better believe it will either not make it off the drawing board, or it will be a serious competitor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

View PostTriggaMike, on 19 Dec, 2009 - 12:07 AM, said:

Remember what Steve Ballmer said about the iPhone when it was first introduced? It was pretty much that.

Apple is not a stupid company, far from it. They may not be directly in that race at the moment, but just because they aren't it doesn't mean they don't know what console gamers are looking for. I mean come on they now have not only a near monopoly on music playing devices, but also one of the most popular phones in the world with the largest, BY FAR, Application store for that phone. Seriously, if Apple is really looking into this, you better believe it will either not make it off the drawing board, or it will be a serious competitor.

Ballmer bashed the iPhone because Microsoft has a competing product. Besides I have a difficult time taking the guy seriously after this.

Apple does not have a monopoly on music playing devices.

Edit:
Better Link http://en.wikipedia....e_Bandai_Pippin

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 18 December 2009 - 10:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

This would be interesting, I do have to admit. Although I don't like Apple (because of Steve Jobs: what a stupid asshole), my beefs with Apple products are always about price or the availability of other products. I grew up using them (since the original mac os, although for later versions I spent probably the most time on OS 7-9 and for X I used jaguar most- yeah, it's been a while) and the thing I found continually frustrating was that it seemed like all the games worth playing were meant to be played on a PC, and so there were no tools that I could find for map making, etc. The only exceptions to this rule were strategy games such as starcraft and Myth II.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

NOOO way if they did this it would be a total nightmare (unless they partnered up with SEGA for a Dreamcast 2 !!!) but yeah i think that MS Sony and Nintendo will compete for along time till Sega comes in or maybe Apple but the prices would have to be Very cheap to get people to buy it. (why by a new product when you can get a proven good known good quality product for 199?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:41 AM

I rather believe that Playstation, Nintendo and Microsoft have bought up all the video game developers. I'd be curious to know where Apple planned to get itself a video game designer worth paying money for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Using up all your 1's and 0's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

Everyone has their price.

@Tom9729 NEAR monopoly. I'm sorry but for the number of iPod's I see on a daily basis compared to other music players... It's around like 100 - 1, that isn't exactly competing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

All of these rumors have come from what... the fact that there was a posting from Apple's job board for a video game designer does not mean they are going to be creating a system. They could just be doing research into better iphone game development, etc. Apple's rumor mill is something you need to watch out for. Unless there is physical evidence such as hardware shipments or something along those lines I think it's pretty pointless to start speculating as to any type of game console. Things like the Apple tablet rumor are supported from hardware shipments and other things even though Apple hasn't officially announced it yet. The Apple gaming console rumor has been pushed forward by people who don't think the Apple TV has a use and needs to be transformed into a gaming console. In my opinion, we'll see how the OnLive system goes... If Apple buys it, then we may be able to continue this discussion....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »