Is It too late

changing carerrs

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 1805 Views - Last Post: 29 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is It too late

Post icon  Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

Hello, please forgive me if this is a topic that has been touched upon once before.

I am 34 years old and very run down and over worked in my current career as a network engineer / Administrator

I started as a developer and somehow merged into networking some 10 years ago. I guess you could say that I am tired of being abused :D .

I would like to start over per say, I would like to move back over to development. Thinking of the following ( web development, vb.net, asp.net , ado.net and c++ . My concern is ( is it to late for me to start completely over ) as I have been out of touch with programming for so long that I would literally have to relearn the languages ?

I do not mind the starting over or the loss of pay that it would take to do so , I am just wondering if others have considered this option and what others think on the subject.

Thank you for your time

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is It too late

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is It too late

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

** Topic moved to Corner Cubicle **

I don't think that it's ever too late to switch career paths. If you are not happy performing your current job duties, then you most certainly should switch. It won't be easy, but it's something to consider.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

Yup you blew it, there's no job out there besides the one your doing. J/K you always have the time to start new, you can even save time by doing some of it at home. Your personal satisfaction is worth more then the pay decrease and time lost. Just make sure when you leave, you make a riot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

I'm currently in college and I have not experienced anything like this yet, but I'll give you my $0.02 anyway.

As No.2 said, if you don't like your current situation, you should definitely change it. My questions to you (so that everyone understands your situation better) are as such:

1. How much programming did you know before switching? A.K.A. what languages and what did you do?

2. Would you be willing to go back to college or take some form of class to expedite your acquiring of new programming concepts?

3. How much of a pay cut can you afford?

I like to believe that it's never too late to start over. Being in college, I've seen people who are in their 40's and 50's trying to get a better education--34 is young ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

"If your not happy doing what you love then quit now, cause you can lose just as much money being happy as hell" - Gary Vaynerchuck

If your not happy then go into what will make you happy, I would still use what you know to make some cash along the way of learning the new material you wish to pursue though. Example: I am getting my CCNA before I really start programming (career wise) just so I make better then minimum wage out in the field, although its not programming but I am still staying involved with my own little realm of things. Also programming is a bit harder for me then understanding networking, so it works for me cause in the end I will be doing what I want to do.

Good luck to you!! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

View PostIsit2late, on 19 Dec, 2009 - 07:52 PM, said:

Hello, please forgive me if this is a topic that has been touched upon once before.

I am 34 years old and very run down and over worked in my current career as a network engineer / Administrator

I started as a developer and somehow merged into networking some 10 years ago. I guess you could say that I am tired of being abused :D .

I would like to start over per say, I would like to move back over to development. Thinking of the following ( web development, vb.net, asp.net , ado.net and c++ . My concern is ( is it to late for me to start completely over ) as I have been out of touch with programming for so long that I would literally have to relearn the languages ?

I do not mind the starting over or the loss of pay that it would take to do so , I am just wondering if others have considered this option and what others think on the subject.

Thank you for your time

Don't quit your day job. Learn to program again on the side: it's not difficult, start with something easy but practical: C# is a good option, so is Python, there is a lot of info available for C++, and Java has it's fans. Do small projects that push your abilities: learn difficult pieces of code, and understand that code fully and make it your own. you can impress potential employers with such things as effcient content cloud algorithms and whatever, or you can make simple games (or even complex games, if you want to put the energy into it), but find something that is interesting to you, which you can learn to manage, and do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

View PostIsit2late, on 19 Dec, 2009 - 07:52 PM, said:

Thank you for your time

As far as you still have breath in your nostrils and a good head on your neck, then what the heck are you waiting for?! Get going, brother! It's not late at all!

Besides, all this years you were still within the IT boundaries. I think (infact i'm certain) you'll do just fine and even catch up faster than a total neophyte.

Good luck and merry christmas and a happy programming new year!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:30 AM

Unless you're like 5 years away from retiring, I'd say no. It's never too late to change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

View PostxTorvos, on 19 Dec, 2009 - 08:38 PM, said:

I'm currently in college and I have not experienced anything like this yet, but I'll give you my $0.02 anyway.

As No.2 said, if you don't like your current situation, you should definitely change it. My questions to you (so that everyone understands your situation better) are as such:

1. How much programming did you know before switching? A.K.A. what languages and what did you do?

2. Would you be willing to go back to college or take some form of class to expedite your acquiring of new programming concepts?

3. How much of a pay cut can you afford?

I like to believe that it's never too late to start over. Being in college, I've seen people who are in their 40's and 50's trying to get a better education--34 is young ;)

First off I would like to thank everyone that let me in on their thoughts.

To answer your question After I graduated college I was a VB6 programmer while also having extra responsiblities as a SQL admin.
After whitch I got a second Degree as a Network Engineer and have been working as a Network Administrator ever sense. At this point I am working 16 hours a day manageing 4 Different Locations across the state , bringing a total of 16 servers and around 300 nodes. Being the only one for the state it is getting old. I would not mind taking a 5,000 pay cut but like someone mentioned I would not completely stop what I am doing until I was fully migrated. It just seems hard to set down and get anything personal done while working 14 and 16 hours a day and then being on call 24/7.

I know that after all these years I can still read and uderstand the languages but I also know that I will have to relearn alot. Currently I have thought of starting with vb.net, ado.net, asp.net and c++. My biggest issue is finding the time to code and study .

Once again I thank everyone for there encouragement it is really uplifting. Thank you

by the way have a Merry Christmas
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

C++ has a lot of tutorials available, just check YouTube- there are entire open courses from Stanford or MIT available there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:37 AM

Is your main reason for thinking about switching due to the gruesome working conditions, or are you just unhappy doing IT work?

I'm not too knowledgeable about the working conditions as an Admin., but are there any jobs out there that might treat you better? I'd suggest to look into that before switching.

If development is your true passion, then I say go for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

View PostMadScientist305, on 26 Dec, 2009 - 12:37 AM, said:

Is your main reason for thinking about switching due to the gruesome working conditions, or are you just unhappy doing IT work?

I'm not too knowledgeable about the working conditions as an Admin., but are there any jobs out there that might treat you better? I'd suggest to look into that before switching.

If development is your true passion, then I say go for it.

Yes and no,

Usually for most companies it is not that gruesome as you are usually with a company that have employed at least two administrators to help with the work load as was the case when I arrived but also as with most companies when the other person left shortly after I was told that I was doing much better with all 4 locations that any of the two people that they have had before not only that I was also handling the 4 locations better than they ever had and that they were not going to look for anyone else. (guess you could say that one should never show ones potential)

I am a workaholic and do enjoy what I do , I would just prefer to be doing developement. Always have just can't seem to find the time to commit to being able to study and relearn programming ( such a shame to let this mind go to waste on something other than programming, hehhhee :) )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1