RE: XAMPP - Cox Blocked 80

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 1496 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

RE: XAMPP - Cox Blocked 80

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

http://www.dreaminco...topic146269.htm

What a stupid reason to lock a post. You've completely misunderstood what he's asking.

His ISP blocks Port 80 so he's using a different port but can't get it working so he's asked on the correct forum in the correct section only for his topic to be rudely locked by a moderator. I'm new here and was considering sticking around but not if the moderators are like this. I was about to reply and help him yet no, the topic is locked and he can't reply or defend himself.

I tried to PM the moderator but it won't let me PM anyone (another stupid feature). Maybe this forum isn't for me... Back to PHPFreaks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: RE: XAMPP - Cox Blocked 80

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: RE: XAMPP - Cox Blocked 80

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

View Postxa0s, on 20 Dec, 2009 - 12:23 AM, said:

You've completely misunderstood what he's asking.

He's asking for assistance to bypass a restriction set forth by his isp. This is clearly against the terms of service. It's even a direct quote from his question, that his isp blocks port 80.

Sure, we could help him, but then he could be subject to getting his internet shut off & then we would bare the blame.

It's inconvenient but it's for the best. I'm sorry that you feel differently.

We also don't allow new members to private message. This prevents spam. A feature to protect the hundreds of thousands of members here. It certainly is an inconvenience to a few, but for the daily active members it's a protection feature. Again, I'm sorry that you feel differently.

Thank you for bringing up your opinions on this topic. This topic will be moved to the "site feedback" forum. I hope that you change your mind about staying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

But where does it say he's not allowed to run a HTTP web server? I didn't read that. His ISP blocked port 80, a commonly used port by applications such as Skype, TeamViewer and uTorrent (off the top of my head). He was asking a question on how to get Apache to work on a different port (Port Forwarding is the issue here). I really don't see what the problem is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

From the Cox Acceptable Use Policy:

5. Servers. You may not operate, or allow others to operate, servers of any type or any other device, equipment, and/or software providing server-like functionality in connection with the Service, unless expressly authorized by Cox.

So, irrespective of the port, the operation of a "server" is prohibited by his signature on the contract. Now, one may certainly argue about how a server is defined, but the OP's stated intention was in fact to run a web server, therefore violating his contract with the ISP, to which he is a signed party.

Your beef is with the ISP and its policies. He was not required to sign the contract to receive Internet access through Cox, but chose to, and as Cox is a business, they can choose to implement their policies as they see fit. Here at Dream.In.Code we strive not to facilitate people breaking laws, whether they are civil or criminal in nature.

Again, thanks for your feedback.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

@xa0s: Please, when a Moderator (Or Admin) close a thread we have a good reason for it. It doesn't matter whether you (or anyone else) agree with the decision or the reason why the thread was closed.

I only read his question 1 time and it was clear to me that he was trying to circumvent policies set forth by his ISP. The Moderator (No2Pencil) was completely correct in closing the thread, and any other member of this team would have done the same thing without even thinking about it.

We stand behind our Moderators decisions here, we and never second guess their decisions.

I'm new here and was considering sticking around but not if the moderators are like this

While we truly hate to see anyone leave the community, if you do not like the policies and rules of this community then it is your right to leave, though I hope you will reconsider that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

We stand behind our Moderators decisions here, we and never second guess their decisions.

Actually I thought that part of the admin team was to help resolve issues where a moderator might have acted too quickly. At times I have found the team to be a calming voice when moderator (sometimes myself) takes a stance that is a little too harsh.

I have always told members that if they have a problem with my actions as a moderator they are welcome to bring the issue to the attention of the administrators -- who I always assumed would take an (at least ruffly) impartial assessment of the situation. I hope that this is still the case.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

Nah, psycho's just too lazy to look at the situation again. ;D ((jkjkjk))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Just a thought, but why exactly would he want to run a server from his personal computer anyways? If it was for a webpage, you cant expect to get much traffic.

Plus, if Cox let you run a webpage with their service, there would probably be only about 10 people on your server at any given time.. Cox just doesn't hand bandwidth out for free you know..

Anyways, as long as i have been here, i have never seen any misconceptions on a admin or moderators behalf. I'm sure there have been in the past, but No2Pencil, i think, made the most logical decision.

This post has been edited by optix212: 05 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1