4 Replies - 718 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What to take after Intro to Programming

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

I know its kind of a weird question but what class should I take after finishing Intro to Programming. THe reason I ask is because I am only attending a community college right now and plan on transferring to university next semester.

The problem is, that the community college doesnt offer many courses, they have things like into to programming, then OOP, courses in java, visual basic, c++ etc.

I just took Intro to programming, they used the Java language and although the instructor said the course would focus more on programming theory, style, and that type of stuff more than just Java. The only thing he taught the whole semester was Java syntax and hardly anything about good design principles or things like that.

I need to take a class this semester for Computer Science but am lost as to were to go next.

In university what class genreally follows an INtro to programming class?
Is is too soon to focus on algorithms and data structures?

Also I feel as if I didnt learn anything in this class, I mean I know the Java syntax now and can write programs that use objects but we did nothing more than write classes and then write a piece of code that tested the class by creating an obecjt or several of them and then displaying the data that is contained in the object to the user.

I want to contribute to an open source project to help build my skills but feel lost because of the patheticness of what I learned in this class.
If anyone can suggest what to do next that would be great.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What to take after Intro to Programming

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What to take after Intro to Programming

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

Take the next class you have the prerequisites for. At my university the progression was Intro to Computer Science => Fundamentals of Computer Science I => Fundamentals of Computer Science II.

If you want to learn more outside of class then start a project of your own and read a lot of books/tutorials. Plenty of ideas floating around this place if you need any.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:43 AM

In my track it was:

Fundamentals of Programming I
Fundamentals of Programming II
Data Structures and Abstraction

Then you could branch into your interest areas. I recommend a Discrete Math/Logic class, a hardware class, and all the math you can stand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, usually it goes something like "Intro I, Intro II, Data Structures." If you know what school you are transferring to, the best thing you can do is find out what they will accept as transfer credits and take something that fits that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

This might not be helpful, but in my school (high school) we only have two classes-Intro and Data Structures-so there's not much choice if we want to continue with programming. (The teacher is a little like yours BTW...fun, but never actually "teaches" unless asked)
I agree with the above, look at the available classes, then look at the ones with prerequisites that you already have, then narrow that list down to "what will the university accept".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1