What do you use to make mmorpg's?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

66 Replies - 17806 Views - Last Post: 25 April 2010 - 04:24 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

What do you use to make mmorpg's?

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

I was wondering what you guys use to make mmorpg's i have a game i am making on a software that will be a single player offline thing. But i want to make a fully featured online game version of the game. 2d or 3d it doesn't matter. What do you use?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do you use to make mmorpg's?

#2 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do you use to make mmorpg's?

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

My imagination.

Well, if its single player and offline, then it isnt' an mmorpg now is it lol. I think you meant just an rpg. I've never made and mmo, but I've worked on (never finished one unfortunately) rpgs before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:53 AM

What i meant is i plan on making a version of it that is online and has more features. I just want to know what others use. The version offline won't be as good since you can only right now have one person playing at a time on the same computer.
I just can't find a mmorpg software i can use right now i need one that can be installed and run on a flashdrive. So any help would be appriceated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

Erm, make your own? XD You mean one to make it for you or host it on their server?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:26 AM

Just a way to make it. I know there is alot of coding that goes into it but so far i have not found a way to do it without putting it on a set computer. i have a basic storyline for it but need a way to do it. If there was just a way to do it in vb.net i would. But it looks like i need to learn some form of the c language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:37 AM

Lol! Another n00b wanting fast results without putting in the work XD. Learning to program isn't that hard, dude. Java is pretty sweet, but yea C++ is probably your best bet. I don't think there's a program out there to just MAKE a program for you. Hell, I think even in RPGMaker you need to know some Ruby to make it work. Trust me, just put a little time into learning how to program and it will be well worth the rewards. Not only will you have the satisfaction of telling the computer exactly what to do and how to do it to make a sweet game (and feel like a King commaning slaves :P) but you can make it far more customized and personal than any program could ever do. I learned the basics of C++ in less than a week, and Java like 3 days. It's not hard, just make sure to start small, then work up. Who cares if it's just rock, paper, scissors? That was my first game. ^__^ I even posted a tutorial in Java of it. :) Well, I hope this has inspired you a little to pick up programming, and I hope you can be happy with it. :) Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:49 AM

I am not expecting fast results. I know it takes time and effort just look at all those great mmorpgs that the big companies have made like runescape. Which went from crappy graphics to good graphics to OMG graphics. I just need something that can be put on a flashdrive(since that is where i do most of my work) and help me in the process of making the game. But for my game i think i am going to need a team of people to help me. I have the storyline of it like i said. But that is only part one of the story, I just need to learn how to do it, but i don't think any c language i may learn will be that easy. I looked at cyco coders tutioral on creating a basic c# application and entered it the same way he did and it gave me errors when i ran it. So i know i have more to learn and it will take several yrs to do all i want to do may longer. Just depends on what i can find and do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

Take a look at my Java beginners tutorial. It's really easy to understand and if you have any more questions, just post them on the board and people will jump to your aid. ^__^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 23 Dec, 2009 - 09:01 AM, said:

Take a look at my Java beginners tutorial. It's really easy to understand and if you have any more questions, just post them on the board and people will jump to your aid. ^__^

Is there not a way to download something that can go with my development program that can help me in the process of making my game? I think there is a way couldn't i just plug opengl into sharpdevelop and make it able to make a game?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Lol. OpenGL is an external graphics library you use to manipulate graphics. You import the packages and stuff into your program you're writing and use its methods. That's like if I wanted to make a GUI in Java I'd have to import javax.swing to make a window or something.

As for programs already made to aid you, I don't know.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 23 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Ok does anyone neotifa have any suggestions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

Yes, I suggest this for a start...

http://www.dreaminco...wtopic59947.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

Q.E.D.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Occasional Member

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

Well maybe you can give us an example of what you're looking for? There's a lot that goes into an MMORPG so it's unlikely that one program will help you do everything, what part do you want help with? Help us help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

I just want something that will help learn programming while making a great game. Hopefully i will be able to find people who will work with me to help make it. And i mean a team as soon as i finish designing the storyline i will post it and see what you guys think. How do i even use the opengl or something else with my development program? Also i have created a forum for this stuff more details on it later milleja46.forummotion.net thanks in advance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »